MMS downloading issue and rooting

Last Updated:

1. bushming

bushming Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, all...

I've had the issue of not being able to download MMS messages for the last few months after a few trouble free months with the Hero. It's the only problem I have with the phone. I'm wondering if anyone who had this issue has since rooted and had the problem be resolved from that. I'm on the fence about rooting. I'm generally happy with the phone as it stands. And as a long time Mac user, I'm nervous about messing around with the internal stuff. And all the rooting tutorials seem to be for the Windows user.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Advertisement
  2. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

Try using Handecent for your MMS program. I use it for text and MMS. It works great. I am rooted with Fresh 2.0D.

3. bushming

Sorry, probably should have mentioned that I do use Handcent. I have since the stock program was known to suck the battery life. I just kept using it since the fix.

4. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I was only able to download mms after i rooted and loaded a custom 2.1 rom. Now it works perfectly.

EDIT-

And heres a link for rooting with the mac

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581686

bushming likes this.
  5. bushming

Thanks for the link, 330D. On first glance it all looks like Greek to me, but I'll spend a little time with it.

6. 330D

I think that that is the case for most of us... Good luck and glad to help..
    ;)

7. bushming

Wow... well, I read the entire thread on how to root using a Mac. The post that stood out to me the most was "if you aren't familiar with Terminal I would NOT suggest rooting". That's me. Guess I'm waiting for Sprint to fix it for me... not holding my breath. Thanks.

Craig

8. 330D

Do you know anyone with a pc? that could make it easier for you...

9. bushming

I do... But isn't there still maintenance to do with a computer once the phone is rooted? I'm just feeing a little demoralized about my inability to tackle this with what I've got on hand.

10. 330D

It depends on what you want from rooting. If you just want to flash a rom, and be done with it you can do everything else you need after its rooted with the mac... You may have to put some zip files on the sd card, but that doesn't require a pc. A mac will drag and drop files to your sd card, I believe.
    Most anything you do after your rooted happens in recovery mode, and to get it booted to recovery, you do not need a pc. the phone will do it itself.
    Pm me if you need more info....