• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto 360 Owner Observations. New/potential users check here

@ Hadrock & Gusta: Welcome to Android Forums!

I can vouch for its heaviness. It's not. It's super light and you can easily forget that it's on your wrist. The display is a little big, but not comically so. It's very comfortable for me.

Personally, I haven't seen the issue with negative charging. Drkrishall, Is your charge base by chance plugged into a laptop, PC or other 500mA source? That would explain it: my charger goes straight into the wall, providing a full 1A charge.

Upvote 0
All charging during my troubles was done using OEM dock and cable plugged directly into wall. However my OEM wall transformer says output is 550mA.

Can you confirm that yours is 1A?

Also I would like to report that OEM dock and cable charged the watch to 100% successfully last night. I no longer think that I have a defective device.

Upvote 0
I believe that ambient screen allows the watch to display in dim mode. But I do notice that it will turn the screen completely black if I turn my hand away from my body. I wonder if in conjunction with the Android Wear app setting for Always On, this might keep the watch dim always and just bright when you pull it up to review the time. Still have to play with it.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the Motorola Connect software to customize the watch faces. Gives you a little something but also leaves a little bit to be desired. I came from a Pebble with Canvas which was a great customization tool. Just one of my first impressions.

Give it some time, this is a very new product. There are some more watch face apps that you can download and install from the Play Store. FYI, I had problems with one of these apps preventing some notifications from being displayed on my G Watch. I'm not exactly sure which one, because I uninstalled all of the Wear apps that I didn't use at one time in an effort to fix the problem, which it did.

Upvote 0
Well first off, I was VERY surprised to wind up with one of these on my wrist today. My local BB sold out of them on release day, and just on a whim I checked their website today and it said they had them. I immediately left work and headed over, and they had one left. I stood RIGHT by the cabinet until someone was in range, and I yelled over that I wanted to buy the last one. He opened the cabinet, and in moments I was on my way home.

If you're reading this and you get your device and it will not power on... DON'T PANIC. Put it on the charger for 1/2 hour or so. Mine must have been in deep discharge because it wouldn't even power on. But after a brief time on the charger, I was up and running. I think it powered itself down three times, I presume doing updates and syncing any apps I had already installed on my phone. I powered it back up each time and let it go until finally it was done. I was at 5% at that point, so I put it on the charger and just let it go until it was to 95%. Which didn't take long. A little over an hour or so.

I've played with it all night and I'm still at 63%. That's some hard core usage... I downloaded Facer (a must) and have been playing and tweaking that all night. Learning how you access things you've installed. Replying to text messages. This is one awesome device. After the length of time we waited for this, I was almost to the point of not buying it. When I took it home a part of me was considering putting it on eBay (they're going for a LOT right now) but I DO NOT regret opening the package. The more I use this device, the more I'm falling in love with it.

Do not let the appearance of large size in the videos/pictures you've seen so far scare you. It is not as big as it looks. I have oddly small wrists for a big guy, and the device comfortably sits on my wrist. Actually, it looks good. It almost has an "I belong here" look to it. I can't describe it and I know I'm sort of waxing philosophic by saying that. It just "fits" my wrist.

People have complained about the older processor. I have not noticed any lag. When I begin voice commands, they respond immediately. Actually, the first time I used it I was deliberately lagging for a moment (like I do on my Droid Maxx) and I flubbed the command because of that. Just talk to it. It works.

The thing I find curious is that Google Now cards that are active on my phone are not currently active on my 360. I'm not sure why that is. It seems once you dismiss anything on the 360 (like a sports game or something) the 360 forgets it, while it will still be active on your phone. That might be something I just need to get adjusted to.

As far as add on apps, the most impressive thing I've installed so far is Facer, thanks to Halon from his "recommended apps" thread. As of right now, it is the Nova Launcher of Android Wear. You can absolutely customize ANY aspect of your watch. Right now I have an interesting Droid eye wallpaper upon which I've added the time and battery remaining percentage. If you guys follow my posts from the Galaxy Nexus and Droid Maxx wallpapers, this will change MANY TIMES in the following days :D

Ultimately though, I'm going to say, this is a toy. It's something I didn't need. My Droid Maxx responds to my voice and will execute a myriad of commands without me touching it. This takes it one level higher. I can talk to something that always on my wrist, without fumbling for a phone. It looks fantastic. And it does the most basic function of a watch, it tells you the time. And when it does it... it looks GOOD.

I hope some of my insights after such a brief time with the device have been helpful.

OT

Upvote 0
Well first off, I was VERY surprised to wind up with one of these on my wrist today. My local BB sold out of them on release day, and just on a whim I checked their website today and it said they had them. I immediately left work and headed over, and they had one left. I stood RIGHT by the cabinet until someone was in range, and I yelled over that I wanted to buy the last one. He opened the cabinet, and in moments I was on my way home.

If you're reading this and you get your device and it will not power on... DON'T PANIC. Put it on the charger for 1/2 hour or so. Mine must have been in deep discharge because it wouldn't even power on. But after a brief time on the charger, I was up and running. I think it powered itself down three times, I presume doing updates and syncing any apps I had already installed on my phone. I powered it back up each time and let it go until finally it was done. I was at 5% at that point, so I put it on the charger and just let it go until it was to 95%. Which didn't take long. A little over an hour or so.

I've played with it all night and I'm still at 63%. That's some hard core usage... I downloaded Facer (a must) and have been playing and tweaking that all night. Learning how you access things you've installed. Replying to text messages. This is one awesome device. After the length of time we waited for this, I was almost to the point of not buying it. When I took it home a part of me was considering putting it on eBay (they're going for a LOT right now) but I DO NOT regret opening the package. The more I use this device, the more I'm falling in love with it.

Do not let the appearance of large size in the videos/pictures you've seen so far scare you. It is not as big as it looks. I have oddly small wrists for a big guy, and the device comfortably sits on my wrist. Actually, it looks good. It almost has an "I belong here" look to it. I can't describe it and I know I'm sort of waxing philosophic by saying that. It just "fits" my wrist.

People have complained about the older processor. I have not noticed any lag. When I begin voice commands, they respond immediately. Actually, the first time I used it I was deliberately lagging for a moment (like I do on my Droid Maxx) and I flubbed the command because of that. Just talk to it. It works.

The thing I find curious is that Google Now cards that are active on my phone are not currently active on my 360. I'm not sure why that is. It seems once you dismiss anything on the 360 (like a sports game or something) the 360 forgets it, while it will still be active on your phone. That might be something I just need to get adjusted to.

As far as add on apps, the most impressive thing I've installed so far is Facer, thanks to Halon from his "recommended apps" thread. As of right now, it is the Nova Launcher of Android Wear. You can absolutely customize ANY aspect of your watch. Right now I have an interesting Droid eye wallpaper upon which I've added the time and battery remaining percentage. If you guys follow my posts from the Galaxy Nexus and Droid Maxx wallpapers, this will change MANY TIMES in the following days :D

Ultimately though, I'm going to say, this is a toy. It's something I didn't need. My Droid Maxx responds to my voice and will execute a myriad of commands without me touching it. This takes it one level higher. I can talk to something that always on my wrist, without fumbling for a phone. It looks fantastic. And it does the most basic function of a watch, it tells you the time. And when it does it... it looks GOOD.

I hope some of my insights after such a brief time with the device have been helpful.

OT

Having just ordered mine from BB and loving my time that played with it, I'm so happy to have read this post. I'm giddy with that Christmas eve feel. Cannot wait until it comes in.

Please please keep me posted with your findings and tips.

Upvote 0
Okay, sorry for the delay, folks. RL has reared its ugly head.

Battery life isn't really a detractor for me now, since I got that $15 Powerbot Qi charging mat from Amazon. I take it off the 360 charger in the morning, it quickly recharges about lunch time, and I'm solid the rest of the day. Remember: even if you're not looking at the time, it's listening for you to say "Okay Google", among other things. That 300mAH battery will deplete before you want it to.

I did some navigation with it, Googling (I even sent a text with just the 360), and I'm schooling myself on swiping away unwanted cards (manual? What manual?). I enjoy the looks I get from people of all ages who are amazed at what this smartwatch can do.

There are plenty of good apps and watchfaces to choose from. My watchface is currently cluttered but very informative.

Bottom line is this: if you give the watch a little lunch time battery charge, you'll be golden all day. Here's what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F6SQ1D6

Keep that on your office desk and enjoy rockin' this watch! :D

Upvote 0
Okay, sorry for the delay, folks. RL has reared its ugly head.

Battery life isn't really a detractor for me now, since I got that $15 Powerbot Qi charging mat from Amazon. I take it off the 360 charger in the morning, it quickly recharges about lunch time, and I'm solid the rest of the day. Remember: even if you're not looking at the time, it's listening for you to say "Okay Google", among other things. That 300mAH battery will deplete before you want it to.

I did some navigation with it, Googling (I even sent a text with just the 360), and I'm schooling myself on swiping away unwanted cards (manual? What manual?). I enjoy the looks I get from people of all ages who are amazed at what this smartwatch can do.

There are plenty of good apps and watchfaces to choose from. My watchface is currently cluttered but very informative.

Bottom line is this: if you give the watch a little lunch time battery charge, you'll be golden all day. Here's what I use:

PowerBot

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool... if your watch is on the charger, on your phone launch the Connect app, click on your device and it will tell you its battery percentage live as it recharges.

I was doing ok today battery wise until I installed that Wear Browser. It was a 25 meg download which seemed excessive to me. It took quite some time to upload it to my phone, it barely worked (in its defense it said it wasn't yet optimized for the 360) and it HAMMERED my battery. I went from ~55% to 20% in 30 minutes.

I uninstalled it and rebooted my watch and put it back on the charger. I really don't need a browser on my watch. Actually I'd rather a SwiftKey keyboard.

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool... if your watch is on the charger, on your phone launch the Connect app, click on your device and it will tell you its battery percentage live as it recharges.

I was doing ok today battery wise until I installed that Wear Browser. It was a 25 meg download which seemed excessive to me. It took quite some time to upload it to my phone, it barely worked (in its defense it said it wasn't yet optimized for the 360) and it HAMMERED my battery. I went from ~55% to 20% in 30 minutes.

I uninstalled it and rebooted my watch and put it back on the charger. I really don't need a browser on my watch. Actually I'd rather a SwiftKey keyboard.

These are definitely the types of advice tidbits we need. I'll be avoiding that one for now. Man, I can't wait for it to come in.

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones