• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Motorola Droid Bionic - All Things Root Guide

Hi all!

I bought my droid bionic back in sept when in came out. I have enjoyed it for a little while but now I want to root it. I have installed the updates for motorola. I used the r3l3as3droot and this is what it says

cannot copy boomsh. permission denied.

remount failed : operation not permitted

failed to copy 'busybox'

failed to copy 'su'

I just dont know what to do as I have tried restoring it then rooting it. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do this. What you need, where to extract what files to, etc.

I appreciate all your help!

Upvote 0
Hi all!

I bought my droid bionic back in sept when in came out. I have enjoyed it for a little while but now I want to root it. I have installed the updates for motorola. I used the r3l3as3droot and this is what it says

cannot copy boomsh. permission denied.

remount failed : operation not permitted

failed to copy 'busybox'

failed to copy 'su'

I just dont know what to do as I have tried restoring it then rooting it. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do this. What you need, where to extract what files to, etc.

I appreciate all your help!

Which root tool did you use? The one in the first post, or the one I posted in a reply?

http://minus.com/msfdjK7eD

Upvote 0
I'm going to recommend Eclipse 2.0. That's what I've been using. It's the smoothest I've ever seen my phone.

But there are plenty of nice ROMs.

Eclipse 2.0? I'll look into it. It seems to me there are few ROMs for the bionic. There was one that had great specs and was supposed to be released in December, but has not been. But I haven't found too many. Just Eclipse, Theory and Liberty.

Upvote 0
Eclipse 2.0? I'll look into it. It seems to me there are few ROMs for the bionic. There was one that had great specs and was supposed to be released in December, but has not been. But I haven't found too many. Just Eclipse, Theory and Liberty.

Those are the only three, but there are also the CM7 build and ICS. Neither are that stable though.

That's what happened. It seems like the Devs went to the Nexus or the RAZR.

Upvote 0
Main reason is that we have a locked bootloader, so it's very hard to make a ROM, since there are 4 different versions that are relatively stable that are floating around:

5.5.886 (the original stock)
5.5.893 (The original OTA)

There is also 5.8.894, but I've seen more people complaining about that one than any other, so I didn't include it.

And if a ROM flashes something different than what you have, you have a potential problem b/c the system software doesn't like talking to different radio firmware, and such inconsistencies. Most of the devs code their ROM with one particular system software set - and therein lies the beginning of the issue, because they cannot include a kernel with the ROM, and thus too many users have incompatible kernels / radio firmware / etc. that won't work with the ROM from that developer...

Upvote 0
I'm going to recommend Eclipse 2.0. That's what I've been using. It's the smoothest I've ever seen my phone.

But there are plenty of nice ROMs.

I will try installing the eclipse ROM later today. I tried using the forever root, but am not sure it took. Is there anyway to verify that I'm forever rooted? I selected the appropriate option when I unzipped on my laptop (I forget what the zip file is called but it was a link you posted. One option was for forever root). But I cannot tell if I'm forever rooted. I AM rooted, however.

Upvote 0
I will try installing the eclipse ROM later today. I tried using the forever root, but am not sure it took. Is there anyway to verify that I'm forever rooted? I selected the appropriate option when I unzipped on my laptop (I forget what the zip file is called but it was a link you posted. One option was for forever root). But I cannot tell if I'm forever rooted. I AM rooted, however.

If you're on 893, don't worry about it. Just install the bootstrapper, then follow the instructions for Eclipse.

• View topic - [ROM] Eclipse v2.0

Upvote 0
But will I still be able to receive and install official updates?

Still ,my first ROM. looking forward to seeing it in action.

Nope. ROM makers disable that to prevent unnecessary headaches.

there are two 893s (technically 3, but one breaks webtop so I don't count it):

5.5.893 - originally leaked, then released officialyl as the OTA update
5.7.893 - only leaked, not yet released.

I know. When I say 893, I mean 5.5.893. I don't plan on referring to that 5.7.893 until it's official.

It's mostly because I'm lazy, so I just put 893. I'll just write the full version from now on.

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0
Are you referring to the bootstrap app?

I transferred the zip file with the rom to the SD card. It is in the root directory of the SD. But the bionic bootstrap was downloaded from the market. I hope i am understanding your question.

You transfer the zip to the external SD card. Then you open up the Bootstrapper, and click "Bootstrap Recovery."

Then you click "Reboot recovery" once the success message appears.

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones