• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Promises the Release of Droid Bionic ICS Update within September

Don't wait just get the leaked 2.44 my bionic runs great now. Speed test 8502 kbps DL 18171 kbps UL in San Diego. Improved battery life, face recognition security and it just run's smooth. Jelly Bean leak will be welcomed and DL for the System Version support will be available. Do it now!!!
Sorry, but this is horrible advice. For one thing, 244 isn't even the latest, 246 is. For another, 232 is the latest version a person can flash and go back to 905 on to get on the true upgrade path. Anything beyond 232 and people will not be able to go back and those who have flashed beyond 232 will have to do some complicated things to be able to get the official update.

The only people who should flash beyond 232 are those who know the Android and phone systems inside and out and are willing to brick their phones.

Upvote 0
I could never see myself going back to gb. Only thing i can see is be safe incase you have to take phone into verizon
You would want to go back to GB to get the final OTA update. If you are on a leak, you will not get the OTA update and if someone is on a leak higher than 232 it will be very difficult to get the official ICS.

Upvote 0
Well how is a leak any different than its counterpart ota?
If it's the same build number, I would guess nothing different. But the leaks are generally not the same build as the OTA ends up being. Therefore there are things in the OTA that are tweeked differently and/or added. Usually after an OTA you can download it from somewhere. The thing is currently the OTA will look for the .905 build to update. This is why most of us have not loaded any leak above .232 as it's the last one that you can easily get back to .905 and recieve the OTA. Also if you root your phone and delete certain bloatware apps the OTA will fail as it looks for various things. That is why people recommend freezing bloat with Titanium Backup, you can thaw them and the OTA will install.

Upvote 0
A developer phone supposedly got 246 pushed ota. Not sure if its real or not.

What's the difference between a developer phone and a regular phone?

EDIT: I read the thread on XDA and some of the comments on Droid Forums. Some of the ones on Droid Forums are saying Bionic had no developer phone (still not sure what that is), so apparently there is doubt as to whether or not he got it OTA. Apparently that was on the 27th as well.

Upvote 0
There are developer phones both at Verizon and Motorola. You think they put the leaks up for their health? Lol
That doesn't explain what a developer phone is compared to the regular phone. The person who made the post on XDA apparently does not work for either Moto or Verizon and makes it sound like a developer phone is somehow different. There is a lot of skepticism both on XDA and Droid Forums about his claims.

Upvote 0
That doesn't explain what a developer phone is compared to the regular phone. The person who made the post on XDA apparently does not work for either Moto or Verizon and makes it sound like a developer phone is somehow different. There is a lot of skepticism both on XDA and Droid Forums about his claims.

It would be a phone with an unlocked bootloader where any version of firmware for that phone can be loaded. If you have the keys, any phone can be unlocked. Motorola will allow the public access to certain unlocked phones.

MOTODEV > Products > Bootloader

Reactions: wildkitten
Upvote 0
A developer phone supposedly got 246 pushed ota. Not sure if its real or not.

I saw the XDA thread and have to call the developers seed claim untrue. Moto, not Verizon pushes the OTA and there are no developer bionics in the wild at least.
That said, I do believe .246 will be pushed out as the OTA very soon, but you never know till its pushed as the OTA........

Upvote 0
I saw the XDA thread and have to call the developers seed claim untrue. Moto, not Verizon pushes the OTA and there are no developer bionics in the wild at least.
That said, I do believe .246 will be pushed out as the OTA very soon, but you never know till its pushed as the OTA........

As long as we're guessing ... my guesses are ...

The OTA will be a further tweaked version of 6.7.246 that will include further agreements between Verizon and Motorola.

Motorola will have Developer versions of most future phones and the Bionic will probably be too old to ever see it happen.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones