1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Moving apps to SD card on Galaxy S5Support

1. mike_ski

mike_ski New Member

Hello everyone,

I have tried following the link below with steps for moving apps to the SD card (to create more internal free storage space):

How to expand Galaxy S5 storage with MicroSD

What I found was that none of the apps, including those I've downloaded and installed since purchase, can be moved to the SD card. I've reformatted the card with the phone, BTW.

I wonder what the point of external (SD card) storage is if little can be stored on it. Pictures and music can (individual files), but I'm finding that certain apps I have require "internal" or app-specific files that can be in the Gb range. And then much of the internal memory come preloaded with apps I either can't move or can't get rid of.

The phone has been a great tool, but the limit of internal storage is truly affecting the use of the phone for me. I've read in the forums that others have had similar issues. Has anyone found a general work-around that can be implemented on most apps?

Thanks for all the input.

Advertisement
    :
  2. RyanSupertramp

RyanSupertramp Well-Known Member

You can't move your apps to the SD Card because Google.

Lol, They removed the capability to move the apps to the SD card in one of the Jellybean updates and they haven't looked back since.

If you Root your phone, you should be able to move the apps after that.
  3. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Active Member

I have a galaxy S5 on AT&T. I have been able to move a fairly large number of programs to my SD card. They are some programs that do not provide that option. I presume you are using application manager to make the transfers.
  4. mike_ski

mike_ski New Member

I'm new to the whole smartphone thing, so thanks for your patience.

I use Verizon, and I was trying to move the apps through Application Manager.

Ryan, I'm pretty na
  5. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Active Member

6. jmatteis

jmatteis Well-Known Member

In Application Manager, scroll one to the right, SD card and there you will see what apps are on the card (check marked) and which aren't (empty square), you can click the app then click Move to SD Card. It will move most of the data, etc over. It would have made more sense to have this option in the actual first column "Downloaded".