• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Moving On Up???]Virgin asked me to switch to Sprint (w/pics)

HasH_BrowN

Android Expert
Jun 11, 2015
Leesburg, Fl
Screenshot_20160601-145532.png

Screenshot_20160601-144859.png

So I'm supposedly "one of our best customers". Wee-Haw, IOW big deal.
I went on all sites possible about the Galaxy S7. The US models have the Qualcomm CPU, which has a locked bootloader (maybe unlocked in Android N according to rumors). The int'l model have the Exynos CPU, bootloader is unlocked.
T-Mobile's John Ledere is in contact with Samsung to make a workaround for their customers. We'll see if it happens across the board.
I don't know about the rest of you but a locked device full of Samsung bloatware is NOT appealing. If they would offer another device (unlockable), then this offer would be enticing.

Reactions: bcrichster
My family has gotten variations on this offer involving the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6.

For anyone wanting to get an S7, it's better to get one on Virgin Mobile and pay for it outright. Sprint is trying to use a flagship device to entice people into postpaid plans, where Sprint can make more money from them.

I wonder if this if part of the "new strategy" for Virgin Mobile - making another concerted effort to draw people to the more expensive postpaid plans?

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0
"C'mon, joins us and pay for your phone forever" ::evil laugh::
The more I think about, the more I would like to bring my own phone (a G3 from Amazon for $125 - 145, that can be rooted!!), instead of the exorbitant prices that Sprint is offering. Guess I have to call to find out the exact limitations on this deal (ie. Can I bring/use a different device?).

Upvote 0
"C'mon, joins us and pay for your phone forever" ::evil laugh::
The more I think about, the more I would like to bring my own phone (a G3 from Amazon for $125 - 145, that can be rooted!!), instead of the exorbitant prices that Sprint is offering. Guess I have to call to find out the exact limitations on this deal (ie. Can I bring/use a different device?).
If this is similar to the previous offers, the $24.95/month is payment for the device only, and doesn't include the monthly plan (which is at least $70/month if I recall correctly). They want you tied to the service by monthly phone payments, since their plans are technically no contact postpaid.

If there's a Sprint store near you, I'd go in and ask them about the offer. It looks like you'd need to redeem it in store anyway.

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones