• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moving the trackball to take picture

So my friend got a new evo and guess what? It has a dedicated camera shutter button on the touchscreen. Brilliant. I absolutly hate using the trackball on my hero to take pictures. It just doesnt work. I know you can hold down the screen to take a picture, but that takes like 2 minutes to capture.

So im trying to either do 1. Find the evo camera apk, which probably wont work with the hero, or 2. remap the the hero hard keys to take a picture (say the volume keys).

So for moving the camera button to the volume keys I would say that I only 5% know what Im doing. I am rooted running Aloysius custom ROM (great!) but that doesnt mean that I am an android guru. I have read to change the key layout under system/usr/keylayout heroc-keypad.kl
but Im not sure how to get there

can anyone show me the way?
thanks

I dont take any pictures of myself, I know thats why people like the trackball but I dont intend to use the camera that way.

tried the other camera apps from the market, even bought one (Vendetta) and got a refund. Most of those crop instead of zoom and/or take forever to process.

So I guess I should just go buy an EVO. or.... use the trackball

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones