• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving to area with no Tmobile service...unlock or get a new phone?

jwrox83

Lurker
Jan 2, 2009
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has input on what I should do. I bought a G1 about 60 days ago. During that time, I got a new job and am moving to a place that has no Tmobile coverage (neither voice nor data). The area only has coverage from AT&T. Tmobile told me my options are to pay $10/mb for roaming data or cancel my plan. I like my G1, but am debating if I should unlock it to use on AT&T (maybe wait another 30 days to get unlock code for free and live without any internet) or to sell my G1 and get an iPhone or HTC Fuze.

My thoughts are:

1. New area does not have 3G coverage for AT&T, so the fact that I wouldn't get AT&T 3G coverage on my unlocked G1 is irrelevant.

2. I like my G1, and I don't think we've seen its full capabilities yet

3. Iphones suck because you can't type on them, but the HTC Fuze might be a viable alternative to the G1 and iPhone.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones