• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MS Excel Help

WaerynTheRed

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Hello,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and I've been trying to use MS Excel on it. I have two questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. How do I get rid of excess columns? Say I only want 5 or so to show up.

I tried highlighting them and selecting delete, but nothing happened. Then I tried selecting "hide" instead of delete... this worked but...the columns seem to go on forever. After the full alphabet it goes through AA, AB, AC and so on. Even so far as AAA, AAB, etc.

2. Is there a way to rename the columns themselves? Instead of column A saying A, can I name it something else?

Thanks.

I have not tried Excel on a tablet, or Android for that matter.

I only use it in the Windows environment.

I just ignore the extra rows and columns.
I adjust the width of each columns to fit the screen that I am using.

You are, I'm sure, already know of the "Set Print Area" feature. That will create a dotted outline of the area of interest.

I have not tried it, but you could select 'all' then unhighlight the 1st 5 rows, then on the highlighted areas, set them to 'hide'
I just tried this idea in MS Excel Windows, and it won't work.

Delete is not going to do what you want, Excel will just replace the deleted row with the adjacent rows that aren't in use.
been there, done that one.

Upvote 0
I don't use Excel on a tablet, so I don't know what difference there are between the programs behavior on such a device compared to a desktop. You can't rename columns, just as you can't rename rows. However, you can create a heading row (usually the first row) and use those headings for sorting purposes.

When printing, the program usually does not print the column letters and row numbers unless you specifically tell it to. There is also an option to freeze a column or a row on the screen so when you are scrolling, those pieces always stay on screen. Additionally, you can tell Excel to always print the header row on the top of every page.

Excel is a very powerful tool, and the most user-friendly programs Microsoft makes, but there are lots of tutorials online, as well as specialized help forums and a literal ton of books that can be had for learning how to use it.

Upvote 0
When I start a new worksheet, I typically use the 1st few rows as a general descriptor of what I am doing, display Pertinent Info, etc.... just stuff to make the rest of the spreadsheet mean something years down the row..... memos stored outside the spreadsheet never stick around, they get lost in a hurry....

then down a row or 5:

I always pick a row and use it for Labels.
I then color the background a light blue to make it obvious that row is a label.
I then lock that row from changes.
Then I Split Window so that the Label Row always stays put in the same place.

now, I can scroll down and the 'titles' / Labels stay put....
If a column does not have a label, it is either blank, or used to do a background calculation and that result is shown in the 'active spreadsheet'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones