• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Multiple Numbers in same contact name

Badget78

Nov 17, 2011
Hi, apologize if this has been discussed and resolved before, I did a search and found multiple contact issue but that's not exactly what's happening here.

What's happening is there are multiple numbers in the same contact,

EX: Bill Jones
Mobile: 555-555-5555
Fax: 333-333-3333
Mobile: 555-555-5555

There is two NUMBER entries for the same contact, for every contact NOT the contact itself, and not necessarily the "mobile number", it could be a "home" number as well.

Only 1 account is connected to the device that would be synching contacts... unless Verizon Backup Assistant is the culprit.. at the time of a Verizon Assistant Backup, say if two accounts were connected (EX: bill.jones@email.com and bill.jones@someemail.com) let's say they had the same contacts, or some contacts with the same entries, and you run a backup using Verizon Backup Assistant, when you restore it, would that cause the multiple number entries? I don't see why it would cause just the number entry and not duplicate the contact as well. But that's the only thing I can think of. Device has been factory reset and issue persists. I do not have the device with me. It is for a certain... well.. individual. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated and I will update when possible if anything helps/resolves the issue.

Thanks

- Probably the easiest check to start: Go to Google Contacts and see if the contacts there have double numbers. If not, it's the phone merging multiple accounts.
- On the main Contacts screen, press menu and then choose Contacts to Display. See if more than one account has contacts listed.
- Usually if a Contact is getting information from more than one account, it will display icons for each one on their Contact Card.

Upvote 0
I have had this happen with contacts that had become joined. I'm still not sure how they became joined, but after unjoining them the duplicate number went away. I believe the joining happened when I tried syncing contacts with Facebook, but it may have been the Backup Assistant that caused it. After unjoining them, there were then two of the contacts in my address book. You can tell if they are joined by looking at the detail of the contact and see if there are multiple symbols under the Joined section.

I tried not to be confusing, but I may have failed in that effort!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones