• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music player not recognising tags

I've tagged my music with my album art and also renamed some songs that were wrong but the music player doesn't seem to recognise some of the changes, I thought that it wasn't liking certain types of album art but looking at some of the files I changed it doesn't seem to pick up the new files.

I've basically deleted the old music and replaced it with my new tagged music but the music player doesn't see that but sees the old files, even though they're not on the SD card anymore, they're not in the trash either, so I'm not sure where it's picking them up from.

This only happens every now and then and not with all the music.

I've restarted the phone and I've used an app called SDrescan and still it doesn't budge, is it picking it up from some database that needs refreshing?

I'm using EasyTag 2.1.6.

Your best bet is to take the music off the sdcard completley, then when there is no music on the card let the music player empty itself of all the old music files until it states no music found or the library is empty.

Find the folder called "albumthumbs" in the directory and delete all it's contents, then after you have done all this readd the music files back onto the sdcard and let the music player perform a full rescan and then it should pick up all your adjustments you have made.

I have used Media Monkey (free edition) to tag all my files and apart from the genre (seperate issue, see the many posts about it), it has picked up my album art and all the other information within the tag.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Well, it wasn't working, kept being picky as to what media files it showed and didn't show and also was being picky at the album art it was showing.

I was about to give up until I tried one last thing, I had all my music stored in a folder called Music which was just situated on the SD card, decided to delete this and created a folder called music (lowercase) in the media/audio folder, since then it's worked perfectly.

So, does the default player only like music from within the media folder?

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am not sure your issue is exactly like the I had, but what was happening to me was I would edit the tags on my computer. But they wouldn't change on my phone after dismounting the sd card. Now, some of the things would change, but for example, lowercase and uppercase-ing of letters were not changed (like the album title would stay lower cased even though it shows up as uppercase on the computer).

I found the solution to this problem though, but I am pretty sure it requires you to have root access on your phone. Here it is:

Required apps: Root Explorer and SQLite Editor.

After installing these apps, do the following:

1. Open Root Explorer (make sure you are at the very root level of your phone).
  2. Go to /dbdata
  3. Go to /databases
  4. Go to com.android.providers.media
  5. Go to the external .db
  6. From there you can chose to edit whatever you wish, be it album name, ,artist name, etc.
I had to store the song(s) I was having issues with on my computer, delete them from my phone, delete the database line associated with the song(s), and then redownload the songs from my computer.

It isn't the easiest fix, but it's a fix. Hope this helps you or anyone who comes across this forum.

Good luck,

David

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones