• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must have Apps

Titanium Backup - Awesome for backing up your apps, especially if you want to change ROMs. SetCPU - along with rooting and Gumbo Kernel, this thing is awesome. Quick Boot - Quickly boot into recovery, reboot, or bootloader. Dolphin Browser - Awesome browser. Handcent SMS - Much better than the stock app. Beautiful Widgets - It is paid, but they are all great. Weatherbug Elite - The best weather app for Android, in my opinion. Layar - Pretty nifty app. Just try it out. Shazam - identifies a song by listening to it. Very useful if you listen to the radio. Barcode Scanner - Scan barcodes to open things in the Market or web browser. Places Directory - Google's directory. Find pretty much anything. Google Sky Map - Awesome star map even if you don't stargaze. Just check it out. Solitaire - everyone loves solitaire. MetaMorph - if you want some awesome custom themes. Gmail Unread Count - display the number of unread Gmail messages on a widget. ShapeWriter - the most awesome keyboard. Just try it and wonder how you ever used the stock keyboard. Quick Settings - Quickly turn off/on GPS, wifi, Bluetooth, backlight, and mobile data.

Okay, I give. I downloaded Titanium Backup, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to actually backup my apps. All I see is a backup for country, language, timezone and an option to backup wi-fi access points. I went into menu options and selected batch->backup all user apps, but nothing seems to happen.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the Handcent SMS app and made it the default but I still get a notification from the stock messaging app...how do i get that to go away???

You will need to go to into the stock messaging app, hit menu>setting> scroll down until you see NOTIFICATIONS and and UN-CHECK "display notifications in status bar. Problem fixed :cool:

Upvote 0
Must Haves:
BatteryLife - A better gauge than the stock or HTC widget. All readings on gauge.
Layar - Visual Identification of local information.
Google Goggles - Visual SEARCHING!
Gmote - Paid App, but it makes for a Bad a$$ wireless mouse/keyboard!
Amazon.com - Visual search and purchase! Boo-ya!
Google Sky Map - Fun to skywatch with.
Phone Flicks - If you have Netflix, this is a MUST-must have.
AndroLib Wallpapers - Free walpapers that are already sized.
Barcode Scanner - A first-grab, because you need it for the QR codes...
Pandora - You need music, this gets it w/o loading you SD card.
Google Maps (update) - With 2.1, this'll give you Navigation!

Upvote 0
Just discovered Quick App Clean Cache. I use Cachemate for my rooted Hero, but my wife's isn't rooted and I've been looking for something that can make clearing your cache easier without having to root her phone.

Quick App Clean Cache works great and is fast method of checking on your cache AND data. You can also sort your apps in many ways including cache only, data only, cache + data, etc.

I was having a problem with PACKAGE INSTALLER eating up 13MB in its cache and cachemate was not clearing it. If I'd had this app, I would have found the problem much quicker and easier.

Upvote 0
OI Shopping list- I make lists for shopping, party RSVPs, song I want to download, wishlist
Yellowbook
Calorie Counter- keep track of calories eaten/burned, links to the fat secret website
Handcent
Astro- file manager and app backup
Ringdroid
Jewels
Fingerpaint- keeps kids occupied
colornote- notepad app
instant lyrics- shows the lyrics of the song playing on the music player
Astrid- has a cute widget, keep track of deadlines
SMS backup- saves text messages to your gmail account so you can delete them from the phone but still have them saved

Upvote 0
so many great recommendations! where is a godsend... exactly what I was missing from my TomTom and now I have it! Also checking out Easy Note + 2Do. I don't know I was so into Astrid before... thought I needed something to work well w/ remember the milk but I'm not a GTD kinda dude so prefer simplicity of Easy Note and Google Docs integration.

Regarding Titanium... what does it do that Nandroid can't... is it a better replacement for Nandroid?

Upvote 0
I keep getting asked what my favorite apps are, so I decided I'll post it here so I can link to it later on from different boards and so forth.

Here's a list of my "must have" apps based on what I have on my phone right now.

• Astro File Manager - Before you get anything else, be sure you have this app. It's a very capable file manager, allowing you to manage your files, including backing up unprotected files.
  • Handcent - By far my favorite messaging app. As it's been said before, it's very customizable and keeps getting better with every new update
  • Opera Mini 5 Beta - I find this to be the fastest and simplest way to browse the web on my Hero. Pages load quickly, it's easy to manuever websites and download files, and it doesn't eat up your phone's memory with cache like the stock browser does. Only downside is it doesn't do flash or videos/multimedia. For that, I'd use the stock browser or Dolphin.
  • Audiomanager - This is an invaluable app to be able to fully control the volume of your Android device. I've missed many alarms because I didn't realize the alarm volume was all the way down.
  • MySettings - Great app that allows you to see all your settings in one place and change many with one click.
  • Quick App Clean Cache - Great way to clean your cache on non-rooted phones. Very handy, although it's not free ($0.62 right now, I believe, based on conversion rates).
  • Spareparts - Great handy app to help you figure out what is draining your battery by keeping your phone awake. Also has other great features as well, including modifying your animation speed settings.
  • Unit Converter - If you're an engineer, work in construction, or ever need/want to be able to convert between units, this is an EXCELLENT app. I use it when I'm in the field and it's saved my life a few times. Great app and it's free.
  • App Manager - Great app for listing and keeping track of all the apps you have installed. Handy for backing up your apps so you can save them incase you need to reset your device. Also handy for installing apps you may have downloaded from sources other than the Market.

And for Entertainment purposes, I love:
  • Shazaam - Just like the iPhone and Blackberry app, it listens to music playing around you and tells you the name of the artist and song. Very handy app
  • Robo Defense - There is a lite version of this game (Free) but I recommend buying the full version. It's addictive!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones