• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help my battery died overnight

nguyen18

Mar 2, 2011
Last night my battery was at 90% then I woke up in the morning to discover that it had dropped to below 10%. This is my second night with this htc thunderbolt and the only thing that I did different was that I turned off my network and WiFi. I assumed that it would save battery since it wouldn't run. Is that the possible cause of my drained battery?

I have GPS, BlueTooth, and WiFi turned off. I also set my brightness down to the lowest option. Make sure you use something like advanced task killer to kill everything that is running before you go to sleep. Between those things and having screen timeout set up my battery life was 16 hours yesterday before I hit 10%

Upvote 0
Make sure you close all apps completly- apps like Angry Birds do not close themselves if you just go out of them by hitting the home button. Best practice is to hit back button until you are sure it is closed.
Also some live wallpapers downloaded from the market may eat up your battery. Some do not let your phone go to sleep.

Upvote 0
sigh... few points

1)Say no to task killers, "running" apps that you aren't using are automatically suspended by the OS. You don't have to manually close anything.
2)wifi uses less power than mobile data, if you're at home in range of wifi. Personally I keep both off, if I need internet and I'm at home or work, I turn on wifi, if not I turn on 3g(mobile data)

That said 80% drain overnight idling means something's wrong. Unless you had 4g turned on the whole time, there is a bad app.

Download Spare Parts from the market. Install and run. Click battery history, and then change other usage to partial wake usage. If anything is taking up a large amount, that app isn't allowing your phone to idle, or sleep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones