• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My battery drains exceptionally fast

Dale Petrie

Lurker
Oct 17, 2017
I've seen others complain about the battery life and I would be ecstatic with the performance others describe.

First, note that I purchased this item brand new in box online through Living Social, just received on Friday 10/13, it is Tues 10/17, and I have been experiencing this problem since first setting it up.

In general, the first 10% goes very fast. For example, my alarm went off at 7:05am. I turned it off, unplugged it, read my email and set it down at 7:07am. I picked it up at 7:15 am and I was at 91%.

The next 10% or so goes very fast as well. After 7:15 I set it down. I looked at it approximately 3 times between then and when I arrived at work at 8:00am. Then it had 82%. I read the few emails I had gotten in the prior 45 minutes, and it was at 78%.

At 9:15 am when I next looked at it, it was at 72%, I plugged it in and it was fully charged by 9:35am. Again, I read about 8 emails, unplugged it, and now at 9:50 am it is at 90%.

My experience with it other days has been that it drains within an hour or so down to the mid 60s, then it stabilizes a bit. I am able to get 3 or 4 hours of light use out of it before it gives me the 15% warning. Then within 2 minutes of hitting 15% it drains completely and shuts off with no warning.

I found a suggestion to clear the cache, which I did and it did not help. The next thing it said to do was a factory reset, but of course that would mean I'd have to reinstall and reconfigure...I can do, but I'm hoping someone has suggestions.

Now, I don't think the S5 has been manufactured in some time, it is possible this has been sitting on a shelf somewhere and the battery just needs replacement...I just don't know what is plausible or what is the best course of action, but I'd like to avoid having to return it as defective, but I only have 30 days from receipt to do so.

Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones