• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My calls all sound auto-tuned. Help please!

This started the other day and after pulling the battery and such, no improvement. Any ideas? It's funny for about 10 secs and then it's confusing and hard to understand callers. Thanks!

sounds like the issue I've had for almost 2 weeks and I also live in IL but right on the Wisc border. First I was told it was a tower upgrade, then I had to call back multiple times and have them "reset" my service, finally today I have a replacement on the way. If the replacement is the same I will know it is their service however the phone worked fine since the middle of January so I don't see why that would have changed. If the replacement fixes it I guess the phone went wrong possibly due to having it overclocked on one of the custom roms or something.

Reactions: hiwatt
Upvote 0
think modding has anything to do with it or just bad luck?

If by modding you mean customizing in the manner of a custom ROM, then no. It's not software related, it's just going out on its own, internally. External modifications (hardware modding) shouldn't affect it unless you directly damage the earpiece. These things just go out from use over time, it happens. Typically its from overuse, sometimes its random, other times maybe the phone just got jostled or bumped weird at some point.

Upvote 0
If by modding you mean customizing in the manner of a custom ROM, then no. It's not software related, it's just going out on its own, internally. External modifications (hardware modding) shouldn't affect it unless you directly damage the earpiece. These things just go out from use over time, it happens. Typically its from overuse, sometimes its random, other times maybe the phone just got jostled or bumped weird at some point.

I mean like how on a computer if you overclock your processor too much other things could possibly overheat and stuff like that.

Upvote 0
I mean like how on a computer if you overclock your processor too much other things could possibly overheat and stuff like that.

It's not likely overheating due to overclocking (which is also unlikely in and of itself, since most of the overheating comes from using 3G or tethering, or both), is going to affect the speaker, though it's always possible (as with anything). As for me, my phone's been like a superheated brick that's been left out in the sun too long, temperature-wise, from tethering in the past, and it hasn't affected my earpiece (or anything else, it seems), so far.

Upvote 0
sounds like the issue I've had for almost 2 weeks and I also live in IL but right on the Wisc border. First I was told it was a tower upgrade, then I had to call back multiple times and have them "reset" my service, finally today I have a replacement on the way. If the replacement is the same I will know it is their service however the phone worked fine since the middle of January so I don't see why that would have changed. If the replacement fixes it I guess the phone went wrong possibly due to having it overclocked on one of the custom roms or something.

I have the exact experience as you do down to location. I live in Freeport. I have been talking with them on facebook, but they haven't said anything for 48 hours now.

Upvote 0
I have the exact experience as you do down to location. I live in Freeport. I have been talking with them on facebook, but they haven't said anything for 48 hours now.

I posted this in another thread but to fill you in the replacement they sent me is just as bad perhaps even worse, it has a slightly different prl. I've been looking into other carriers this week as my next vm payment is due on the 13th.

The really annoying part about my situation is if I drive a 2 or 3 miles down the road it works fine.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread but to fill you in the replacement they sent me is just as bad perhaps even worse, it has a slightly different prl. I've been looking into other carriers this week as my next vm payment is due on the 13th.

The really annoying part about my situation is if I drive a 2 or 3 miles down the road it works fine.

I accidentally roasted my OE and had to get a new one today (it was free though, so no complaints there, in fact I actually made some money in the process), and it is out-of-the-box ZV5 with the 61009 PRL, while my girlfriend still has ZV4 with Sleipnir, with a PRL of 61007.

Upvote 0
Same issue here.
Chicagoland area (if that matters)
That "auto sound" issue with normal calls, and I think it's effecting retrieving voice mail because it isn't picking up all of the numbers I'm entering for my pin.
It will display the numbers I'm pressing on the screen, but the playback robot lady says "We're sorry..." something something number isn't a valid code. Like it's only picking up 2 or 3 of the numbers I just entered.

I'm guessing (and hoping I'm wrong) that the phone is toast with regards to voice/call quality.

data and texting is fine as is the audio jack

Upvote 0
nope didn't reply with anything.
That's total Mickey Mouse crap. It seems like such a little thing, but at my next phone upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'll just leave vm. Getting access to bus times and bank balances or lack of, is a deal breaker. I know there's other apps, but no short number texting? Ridic. I think it's just broken and they cannot figure out how to fix it. I'm pissed.

Upvote 0
That's total Mickey Mouse crap. It seems like such a little thing, but at my next phone upgrade, I'm pretty sure I'll just leave vm. Getting access to bus times and bank balances or lack of, is a deal breaker. I know there's other apps, but no short number texting? Ridic. I think it's just broken and they cannot figure out how to fix it. I'm pissed.

I am able to text to short codes. At least to the twitter short code, 40404, I just tested it an it works fine.

Although I do get no response using your message to 41411.

BOb

Reactions: hiwatt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones