• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My experence migrating from an iPhone

On Friday 08January2010 my wife came home and handed me a medium sized white box. She said try it out for a week and if you don't like it there is always Ebay.

Introduction:
This is my first post to this forum and I only started reading it a few minutes after my surprise white package. I purchased my first smartphone, iPhone 3g, in June 2009 and would be considered a power user. I loved it very much but i did have my gripes with some features. I really wanted an ability to time when my phone would go silent, habitually i would forget to turn my phone off silence and miss very important phone calls, like when my wife got in a car accident. The fact i couldn't run chat programs in the background was also an annoyance. But for the most part I was a very happy customer.

The unboxing:

Out of the box the Nexus One felt very much like my iPhone except for three real differences. The first major difference I noticed was was the weight, my Nexus One was much lighter than my iPhone. The 2nd difference I noticed was the finish on the Nexus One chassis was very nice. My iPhone spent 5 months inside a rubber case because I was paranoid it would slide right out of my pocket or get scratched very easily. The third difference i noticed was when i went to power it on the switch felt a little awkward on the opposite side. This awkwardness lasted only a few hours.

First night:
The first boot up was nice i setup my gmail account to the phone and the desktop was a little foreign and i was a little concerned about only having 5 desktops but it allowed me to segregate my apps and hide ones i don't use that often. I did get annoyed at first when my fingers were touching the very screen edge and no touch points would register but i learned to grip the phone differently(this was a very large grip but should be fixed when multitouch is enabled). I tried the browser and when to this forum to read about apps. I quickly learned of Dolphin browser which i promptly downloaded and set to the default. A multitouch browser is a must for me and the android market was able to accommodate me.
About three hours in after my wife kept mentioning Swype to me i found the instructions and installed it. While annoyed with the error box I would say this made my mobile phone into a mobile computer. I could type relatively faster after 6 months of using my iphone but i would type a document on my nexus one within an hour of installing swype, infact i did. I hope they come out with a nexus one version of this app, i would pay somewhere in the range of 20-30 dollars for this app.

The weekend:

My weekend consisted of testing the battery life, installing apps, and playing games. I downloaded Tower raiders beta and loved it playing all the levels in various modes. While not the most visually appealing game it was very fun. I managed to drain my battery with about 4-5 hours of heavy use and i was happy with this number. I tested my nexus one with this blue tooth headset that has a bad noise issue with my iPhone. While it didn't go away it was not a constant noise and the clarity on the receiver end was alot better. I also installed the speed test app to test the edge connection i was getting with AT&T. It was a fairly bad 40-120kbps down and about 50-100 up most of the time I would get 60kbps.

Work week:

Monday through Thursday went without a hitch. I ended each day with about 60% of my battery. Friday was a different story. I woke up that morning at 7am browsed the internet while it was plugged in. I unplugged it at 8:45 and left for work. While at work i downloaded a small 900kb update for a program and killed the market app with advanced task killer. I had a 10am meeting and when i got out of it the battery was at 25% and warm to the touch. I checked the battery use and the screen accounted upwards of 80% of the battery use. By noon My battery was 5% after two restarts. at 1:30 the phone was dead. I removed the sim card and put it back into my iphone. Going back to the iphone was very foreign and i found myself trying to use swype for all the apps. i downloaded the speed test to test the 3g network and my iphone was getting 1000kbps down and 600 up. Friday night i tried switching my messenger for handcent. By Saturday night I am fairly sure this has solved my problem.

Weekend 2:
On Saturday I went to a T-Mobile store and purchased a plan with them. The speed test now shows me receiving 1000kpbs up and down. When AT&T's cancellation department opens on Monday My iPhone plan will be canceled.

iPhone Pro:
Security of apps
Consistency across apps
more apps
better game apps (graphic wise atleast)
OS level multitouch support

iPhone Cons:
app approval process and limitations
No software to change hard switch settings(silent mode)
cannot move music off phone easily

Nexus One Pro:
Fast!
Swype
very easy to get usage data from the phone(battery, CPU, network)
Most of the useful apps are free only have purchased one app (locale)
Apps have a 24 return policy
Screen whites are less harsh on your eyes

Nexus One Cons:
2g/3g tmobile bouncing issue(fixed by forcing 3g)
Battery no sleep issue (fixed by replacing default messaging software)
app security/quality issues

In summary I started with an iPhone that i used everywhere and loved it. Tried the Nexus one loved it ran into a few problems but I believe the shortfalls are patchable and that overall the platform is better than the iphones. More apps will come and better graphics will come. Apps are limited by demand and developers imagination rather than how they conflict with the native systems(always annoyed certain apps like google voice/itunes alternative never came to iPhone due to apple). The greatest feature Andriod has to offer is customization.

***i apologize if this doesn't read the cleanest i typed it up kind of train of thought.

Good post, interesting to see your thoughts on having come from an iPhone (not having had one myself)......good, honest review as well.

Welcome to the fold - I moved from an HTC Hero (loved the phone & look but got a little frustrated by the occasional slow-ups....) to a Nexus.

Love it!

Upvote 0
Don't forget to really give the voice to text feature a chance to impress the hell out of you. I think some people are glossing over it or abandoning it when it doesn't do 100 percent accurate job the first time they use it. I never thought I'd use it but now it's my primary method of input. Works perfectly for web searching and even composing texts and emails. Once you learn "how" to speak, it transcribes your voice 97 percent correct 98 percent of the time.

Also, try out different widgets! Coming from an iPhone myself, I did't immediately "get" that the news/weather, google search, and quick settings things on my screens were movable/swappable widgets. Download a bunch of widgets, play with them, move them around to different home screens. There are widgets that display vertically, and other horizontally, some on the right and some on the left - they can really make your phone a custom experience and they're one of the big advantages of andriod over the iphone in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Nice post. I'm curious about your experience between the T-Mobile coverage versus AT&T? My big concern right now is how well TMo blankets my operating areas, which has me leaning toward a return to VZW despite loving the N1. I too moved to Android from an iPhone, but some time ago.

Don't forget to really give the voice to text feature a chance to impress the hell out of you. I think some people are glossing over it or abandoning it when it doesn't do 100 percent accurate job the first time they use it. I never thought I'd use it but now it's my primary method of input. Works perfectly for web searching and even composing texts and emails. Once you learn "how" to speak, it transcribes your voice 97 percent correct 98 percent of the time.

Could not agree more. It's especially nice to be able to reply to a text with it when in the car.

Also, try out different widgets! Coming from an iPhone myself, I did't immediately "get" that the news/weather, google search, and quick settings things on my screens were movable/swappable widgets. Download a bunch of widgets, play with them, move them around to different home screens. There are widgets that display vertically, and other horizontally, some on the right and some on the left - they can really make your phone a custom experience and they're one of the big advantages of andriod over the iphone in my opinion.

Agreed, a totally different paradigm. Another thing I have is a screen with nothing but direct dial shortcuts - most used - that lets me quick dial with a flick of a home screen and a touch of the shortcut.

Upvote 0
I have used the voice feature some and liked it. Mostly I have used it to call people in my contact list, but I will have to give it a try as a typing aid. I forgot to mention that I did find it much better supported that on the iphone. About the widgets, isn't it funny that for the company that pioneered them to not have them on their phone.

About my migration from AT&t to T-mobile, I live in San Jose Ca so its hard to compare to some places but I will keep everyone updated on my experiences.

Upvote 0
I really miss the design of my iPhone. Android really lacks in polish. The applications on the Android Market are also rather poorly designed. That's on the designers, though, however.

I also miss things like NBA League Pass. I hope something like that comes to Android. I'm hoping for the MLB At Bat to be available at the start of the season. This is a problem, because, face it, we're not on the winning team. But with enough Android growth, developers will not be able to ignore Android.

I also really miss my iPhone's on screen keyboard. It was fantastic and an absolute hardware keyboard replacement. I'm sure a good Nexus One keyboard replacement will arrive in the future but until then, I'm typing substantially slower than previously.

Regardless, I'm very happy to have made the switch. Whether that's because Android is fresh for me while the iPhone was a 3 year old stale experience, I don't know. But either way, I'm content with my Nexus One. And the best part is knowing improvements are on their way.

Upvote 0
Leaked: Swype For Android Beta Unofficially Available For Motorola Droid
this is a link to instructions on installing swype. It will work not work in landscape mode atm, but it is atleast 1.5 times faster than finder typing. This program was the game changer for me.

I forgot to add for the first time i am impressed with a cell phone camera. I can take pictures intensionally shaking it and still get a clear image(not 100% of the time). For just taking an image normally it seems to work perfectly, with some flash washout sometimes.

Upvote 0
Now that I read it: Great initial post! Welcome to the Android family. I think you will enjoy your stay :) This forum is great for questions. The N1 forum is still rather young, so I would encourage you to flip around the application forums or even what's going on in the DROID forum. Once you get over that learning curve, you're going to want to really take advantage of the openness. One of the cool things right now is Sweeter Home home replacement that REALLY takes openness and your vision to the utmost. Congrats on the phone, you got a good one!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones