• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Experience Upgrading to the Nexus 6P

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
After using my Galaxy S3 for almost 3 and a half years, I decided to upgrade to a new phone. The GS3 has been a great phone, but has been feeling long in the tooth for months now. With a bunch of new phones released as of late, I decided to pull the trigger and get a Nexus 6P.

My reasons for choosing the Nexus 6P ultimately came down to a few things. I did not have an opportunity to test drive the Note 5's. I would like to try out the physical keyboard, but there were none at any Samsung or phone stores I visited. I wanted to get an unlocked, non-carrier branded phone. That is not so easy in Canada. I waited for some full reviews for the N6P and was sold. Timing was right as news broke of it becoming available again on the Play Store the day I wanted to get one.

When I first got the phone and turned it on, I was happy to see that there was an easy way to transfer my apps to the new phone. It only transferred my apps, but that was enough for me. I didn't have much other than music that I would have wanted to transfer over. My important photos are downloaded to my PC.

I chose to redo my music and songs from scratch. I manage them on my PC with Windows Media Player. I repicked my more than a thousand songs and transferred them to my new phone. One thing I am really disappointed in is that album covers don't transfer over. Also, my old Cover Art Downloader app no longer functioned. I found other apps, but it was a tedious process to download the cover art to my phone and then match them up on my music player.

One of the signs that my phone was on its last legs is the fact that the music play stutters from time to time. I would have to reboot my phone weekly as the stuttering become a problem from time to time. I have my phone automatically play music when I start up my car. It's nice to be able to enjoy my music without having to worry about having to reboot my phone.

It has been a bit of an adjustment going from a 4.8" phone to a 5.7" one. I have pretty much given up on one handed use. Even carrying it around, I want to hold it with 2 hands. The larger size does come with its advantages. I find typing easier as the keys are bigger. Also, the huge screen allows me to have 8 rows and 6 columns of icons. I use Nova Prime Launcher and it is great being able to reduce the number of home screens I need.

The front facing speakers are great for watching videos. I always hated my old phone where the person I am facing is hearing the sound better than I can watching the video. No such issue with the N6P. The only sound issue is that I often carry my phone in my belt holster. The speakers are pressed up against the inside of the hoster, so the notification and ringtone sounds may be a bit muffled. Still it is loud enough that I don't have an issue hearing a ringtone except in noisier environments.

By far the coolest feature is the fingerprint reader. I have an iPhone 5S for work and the fingerprint reader is a favourite feature of mine. Now I get that feature on my personal phone as well. The placement felt awkward at first. After over a week with the phone, I am getting used to it now. I had thought that there would be short comings with the placement on the rear, but so far, I am fine with it. When I want to unlock it, I would want to pick it up anyway. I mount it in my car to use Waze for driving navigation. While mounted, the fingerprint reader is actually above the back of the mount. I can reach around and unlock the phone with my fingerprint. It is also very fast. The only thing I have a bit of a concern is that I may forget my pattern lock as I don't use it as often any more.

Performance was obviously an improvement over my old phone. One thing I did notice was that Waze did not seem as smooth on the N6P as it did on the GS3. Whenever I made a turn, I noticed that the GS3 was smoother rotating the map. It's not really an issue, but it was definitely unexpected. For everything else, the N6P obviously blows the GS3 away. I also noticed that the battery runs way cooler on the N6P than on the GS3. The GS3 heats up quite a bit, especially when running Waze. The N6P is no where near as warm under the same conditions.

I did have some issues with notification sounds. I have custom notification sound files on my phones. I use a text-to-speech engine to generate sound files. If I get an email, I have a sound file that says, "You have received email." I never confuse another phone's notification with mine. There were some apps that either would not play these custom notification sounds or would not allow me to select them at all. It turns out that the solution is to allow the apps access to my phone storage. Android now allows better control over app access to various parts of your phone. It's something that wasn't obvious to me, but the community on Android Forums helped me out with this.

I am disappointed that the built-in alarm app would not play a song of mine as an alarm tone. I had to download a third party alarm app. It worked well until one day I left my phone unplugged. The battery saving doze feature put my alarm app to sleep. This is another new Android feature I didn't have on my old phone. I had to make sure I configure my alarm app along with a few others to not fall asleep.

My biggest gripe with phones in the past is battery life. I'm an extremely heavy user. The biggest drain on my battery is when I drive. I always have music playing over BlueTooth audio in my car and almost always have Waze running. On my previous two phones, I would use a car charger and even then, my battery would drain slowly in the car. I hate having to charge my phone during the day. My GS3 even had a 3500 mAh extended battery. Even then, I had to keep my phone charged in the car and I still run out of juice at times before the end of the day.

So far, I am very impressed with the battery life. I did charge up my battery once during the day, but judging by how much I had left at the end of the day, I didn't have to. So far, I had no need to charge it up in my car.

The quick charge is nice, but I find that for my use, I have it when I don't need it and don't have it when I do. If I can only get quick charge in one place, the place I would choose would be in the car. That is the only place where I absolutely cannot get quick charge. Actually, I can if I get an inverter, but getting an inverter to charge a phone is overkill. The place where I use my quick charge the most is when I'm sleeping. When I charge my phone overnight, I don't need quick charge. I sleep for several hours, so if it takes 5 hours to charge up my phone that is fine. Charging my phone in 90 minutes while I'm asleep doesn't give me anything.

Speaking of charging my phone in the car, the N6P comes with a USB 2 to USB-C connector. It is 2 inches too short to reach from my car adapter to where I mount my phone. The solution to reach those 2 inches is to buy a USB extension cable that is 2 meters long. It feels like a waste with so much cable dangling doing pretty much nothing.

The USB-C connector does not allow me to use all of my cables that came with all of my previous phones. I pretty much have the one quick charge cable plus a USB 2 to USB-C cable and I had to buy a 2-meter extension cable. I'm also holding off on buying any additional cables so far. Partly because of the recent stories of incompatible cables. Also, partly because I don't really need anything more yet. The battery life is good enough so far that my car charging apparatus is stowed away. My quick charge cable is by my bedside right now. I carried it around once, but didn't need it when I was out.

I don't have much to say about photos as I only took one picture an that was of a legal document. I do like that you can start up the camera by double tapping the power button.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Nexus 6P and would recommend it to anyone. For people upgrading to older phones with older versions of Android, keep in mind that you may have to configure your phone for doze and permissions. The lack of charging cables is something of a bummer right now with the new USB-C connectors.

Slightly OT but just in case you didnt know, with Nova launcher, try and set up a gesture where you swipe down anywhere on the screen to bring the notification bar down. Makes one handed use a little bit easier.

So far, I haven't had any instances where I just had to use my phone one handed. I actually think discouraging one-handed use may actually not be such a bad thing for such a large phone. I get a bit nervous just picking it up and holding it with one hand. Making sure one hand has a good grip while using the other hand to interact with it will reduce the risk of dropping it. The size makes it a bit of a challenge to even wrap your hand around it.

I can see having to use it one handed. If I'm holding an umbrella and want to check traffic on Google Maps, I would have to use it one handed. So far, I haven't had to do that. I usually check traffic on my PC before I leave the office and walk to my car. On those occasions I forget, I would check traffic while walking to my car. There's no rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I likely won't run into this situation until next week at least.

Reactions: Omar Days
Upvote 0
after 3 days of using it my thoughts
setup was easy as on my old note 3 I set all to sync via google so all I did was sign into my google account. but one thing I did was sync apps which of course brought big reds apps too my bad!!

I had Verizon and switched to at&t why well Verizon signal came to my home via 4g 3g 1x roaming to no mobile data feature enabled! at&t I have solid 4 bars signal nuff said.

now pure android needs to be learned as carriers change all the how to's frankly carriers shouldn't be allowed to mess up a good thing sell phones yes create OS for them nope.

so far texting is a simple mind set as to not look for an icon saying messages but a simple looking blue icon with horizontal lines.
I found the various colors used for some of those I text message to nice but either a hidden setting or one not user changeable to add more colors for the text contacts.

with no users manual you find things out by accident as in in settings I found out in right corner of whatever setting area chosen usually a vertical set of 3 bars is the menu am so used to it being in bottom left but not a hard thing to remember.

I wonder what hidden features are lurking that I am totally oblivious to??

I'm not fantastic at tech items so what seems easy for the more tech savy here not so much for me one thing I learned in computers as you learn how to do things write it down for those senior moments!!

I find the 6p responsive so far and pretty easy to use out of the box.

my dislikes no car charger no retailers carrying any accessories for the nexus 6p or is it just to new yet?

I found the name Frost ironic seeing it relates to a homes paint known as satin white! its really close to my white note 3 color.
now if I can just figure out how the heck a song purchased on play store can get into my ringtone app as the ringtones they provide leave a lot to be desired and I miss the voice recorder from note 3 as from it you could create a phone ringtone I am a lionel train person so had some nice steam whistle ringtones and for anyone with hearing loss it made them quite loud!

all in all I am pleased with my Nexus and this is my first experience with a google phone all priors have been from carriers and locked to there networks.

one issue is with the c cable to usb now how much more cost in making it 18" long would it have cost what a whole$1?

I also uninstalled the printer app as if at home I'm on computer and its connected to printer so not really needed for me anyways some of you might be using a printer at work while on lunch break.

all in all I am impressed so far with googles nexus 6p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones