• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My guide to the Froyo\root update...

flyinjoe13

Android Enthusiast
May 18, 2010
First off, I take no credit for any of this. I had nothing to do with the rooted Froyo update or any of the files\procedures\experties that the devs put into making it possible for all of us to have the Froyo update with root capabilities. I'm just a dummy who couldn't follow directions and went about finding a way I could apply the update. Think of it as a 'Guide for Dummies' procedure.

Secondly, I did all of this in Windows XP so I don't know how the steps will work in Vista or Windows 7. While I can boot into Vista or W7, I just happened to be using my XP partition at the time I was trying to update so these steps may not work the same on the other OS's.

Lastly, I am terrible at explaining things, so I apologize in advance if these directions are confusing. I did my best to explain them as clearly as possible. Also, i'm not responsible if you don't do these right and brick your phone.

Step 1: Goto this thread ( http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263285-guide-froyo-2-2-1-root-users.html ) and follow steps 1 - 9. You won't need to install the Mobile Updater (step 10) because you won't be using it.

Step 2: Goto this thread ( http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263674-guide-lgnpst-alternate-v6-restore-method.html ) and follow all of the steps to the letter. It's actually pretty easy to do. If you completed steps 1-9 above, I think you can skip the part about loading the LG USB Drivers. I know I didn't do that part because they were already loaded.

Step 3: Once you complete d2a's instructions and are on the VZC update, don't do the next update notice you may get. That's the Froyo update and you don't want that one. At this point, go back to Trident's directions ( http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263285-guide-froyo-2-2-1-root-users.html ) and skip all the way down to Step #28 and start there. Follow all of his directions from step 28 to step 34 (which happens to be the end. :) ), but make sure to read my notes below about a couple of the steps where things got a bit confusing.

Notes:

Step #28: This one can be hard to time correctly. I had to do it 4 times before I got it right. What I did was to release the Send+Menu+End buttons when I saw the LG logo and began hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed. The trick is too not hit it too many times. If you keep pressing it over and over again, it foreces a reboot. Look for when you see some yellow letters under the Android icon and then stop pressing it.

Step #30: This is the point where I plugged my phone back into the PC with USB debugging enabled and opened up a command prompt. After switching to the c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and typing 'adb reboot-bootloader', Windows registered that it had found a new device. Since I had skipped steps 19-25 in Trident's directions, I had never loaded the android_winusb.inf file. It was here that I had to load it. Load the drivers by pointing the hardware wizard to C:android-sdk-windows\usb_driver. It will begin to load the device. At some point you may get a pop up saying it can't find a file needed to load the device. It's name is something like WinUSB*.dll. That file is located in the c:\windows\system32 folder so point the installer to that directory and it will finish installing the bootloader drivers. From there you can continue to step #31

Step #31: I had some trouble here because the fastboot file is located in the c:\android-sdk-windows\tools directory. I was in the c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory when I typed this command from the command prompt so it failed. Just make sure you switch to the c:\android-sdk-windows\tools directory before running fastboot. Alternatively, I guess you could copy the fastboot and amonra_recovery.img files from the 'tools' to the 'platform-tools' directory beforehand so you don't have to switch directories, but I found switching was much easier.

Step #34: When I tried to flash the su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip file, it gave me an error about verification. If you get the same error, you will need to turn off signature verification. The option to do that is just below the option to flash the .zip file.

I know, but then in his directions he said to go to the platform-tools directory. Look at step #18 under what the code says. Since he said to go there, that's where I went when I started on step #30 until I found out that fastboot wasn't there. That's why I mentioned it. I'm sure someone else who's smarter than me will figure it out on their own, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
I know, but then in his directions he said to go to the platform-tools directory. Look at step #18 under what the code says. Since he said to go there, that's where I went when I started on step #30 until I found out that fastboot wasn't there. That's why I mentioned it. I'm sure someone else who's smarter than me will figure it out on their own, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Very much so! Because if you are like me when you "follow directions to the letter" you do what it says even if it isn't making sense at the moment. That means if there are any sort of errors in the instructions, no matter that the author didn't mean to put them there, you will fail. So you just saved folks like me from having the same confusion you had to work around. Thanks!! :)

Upvote 0
Step #28: This one can be hard to time correctly. I had to do it 4 times before I got it right. What I did was to release the Send+Menu+End buttons when I saw the LG logo and began hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed.

I can't seem to make it pass this step can someone PLEASE tell me exactly which keys are Send+Menu+End are? I've tried this step 20 times so far and haven't gotten it to work yet. I want to make sure I'm pressing the right buttons.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I can't seem to make it pass this step can someone PLEASE tell me exactly which keys are Send+Menu+End are? I've tried this step 20 times so far and haven't gotten it to work yet. I want to make sure I'm pressing the right buttons.

Thanks

Pressing them means you press the buttons across the bottom of the Ally but not the one with the house icon on it (that one is Home). Press the other 3 simultaneously, and hold them until you see screen activity if booting into recovery mode.

Upvote 0
I've had similar problems. I'm pushing and holding all those buttons you specify, but I never see a recovery menu. The most I see is an android dude with an exclamation mark for half a second. If I keep holding, it cycles between being off, lg logo, and android dude. If I let go when the android dude appears then the phone powers on like normal. Any ideas whats wrong? I followed all the steps and am now in the stock VZC update, with no root.

Edit: I just flashed the stock recovery according to death2all110's instructions and that didn't fix it.

Upvote 0
Step #28: This one can be hard to time correctly. I had to do it 4 times before I got it right. What I did was to release the Send+Menu+End buttons when I saw the LG logo and began hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed.

I followed all the steps and am now in the stock VZC update, with no root.

Yes this is exactly where I'm at. This morning I turned down the OTA Froyo update again... everthing I'm reading says not to except it but follow Tridents directions instead. Which I'm trying to do, but I just can't get past these button pushes.

Please read the directions. You're not hitting the Home key on the keyboard like they say to do.

@flyinjoe13 - Which directions are you referring to exactly. The directions listed right here is this thread are the ones I quoted above.

Pressing them means you press the buttons across the bottom of the Ally but not the one with the house icon on it (that one is Home). Press the other 3 simultaneously, and hold them until you see screen activity if booting into recovery mode.

I've tried these steps this morning with no luck. If I hold down these 3 buttons (The LG Ally user guide calls them Call, Menu and Power buttons) as it boots, I see first the LG logo, then the Verizon logo, then the Android guy with a Exclamation point flashes briefly, then it goes back to the LG logo and then cycles thru the same three screens. This loop continues until I release the three buttons, at which point it boots normally. So what am I doing wrong? appreciate any guidance anyone can give.

putrtek

Upvote 0
Always refer to the directions given by the developers that I have pointed too. My 'directions' are more of a guide for the steps I had to take to get rooted Froyo, but they are still based on their directions. My notes section are just additions to their directions when you run into the problems I had, but their directions are still the ones to go by.

As I said, read the directions. Based on what you are saying, you are not hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed by Trident in Step #28. When you are pressing the three buttons, release them when you see the LG logo and then keep pressing the Home key on the keyboard until you see the yellow letters under the Android logo with the excalamtion point. At that point, stop pressing it or the phone will reboot. It is very hard to get right and took me a bunch of tries as well, but there's not much more I can tell you. It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you time it right.

Reactions: putrtek
Upvote 0
As I said, read the directions. Based on what you are saying, you are not hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed by Trident in Step #28. When you are pressing the three buttons, release them when you see the LG logo and then keep pressing the Home key on the keyboard until you see the yellow letters under the Android logo with the excalamtion point. At that point, stop pressing it or the phone will reboot. It is very hard to get right and took me a bunch of tries as well, but there's not much more I can tell you. It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you time it right.

Alright so I FINALLY got the timing right. After about 40 - 50 attempts I finally got the recovery menu to appear. Updated.zip installed and it's rebooting now!

Yup, checked settings and I'm on 2.2.1... Yea! ok on the the next step. Appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

EDIT: Finally made it thru the last few steps and everything worked. Thanks again for the help.

putrtek

Upvote 0
Step #28: This one can be hard to time correctly. I had to do it 4 times before I got it right. What I did was to release the Send+Menu+End buttons when I saw the LG logo and began hitting the Home key on the keyboard as instructed. The trick is too not hit it too many times. If you keep pressing it over and over again, it foreces a reboot. Look for when you see some yellow letters under the Android icon and then stop pressing it.

The guide has been updated. All references to step #28 should be updated to #27 I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones