• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My LG G2 can only enter download mode

Shlinky

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
So, I was trying to install a custom ROM on my G2 and screwed up. Now I have no recovery to boot into and can't access fastboot to flash a recovery (not even sure if its possible). I have tried to flash the stock android .kdz files using the LG Flash Tool, but haven't had any success in that area either. I'm not really sure to go from here.

If anyone has any ideas that I might go about fixing this mess, they would be most welcome.

I have the LG G2 D803 on Rogers in Canada. I attempted to flash Cyanogenmod but the model isn't supported and I ended up flashing the wrong version (D802) by accident.
For the .kdz files, I've been trying to load the stock ROM back onto the phone but haven't had any luck as the process keeps stopping at the software update stage. It either says the server can't connect or it fails at 2%. I have the phone driver and I'm pretty sure I have the right .kdz file. Throughout all this the phone doesn't actually begin the 'update'. The phone is on the Firmware Update Screen and stays at 0%.

Upvote 0
I face same problem. Can you please describe the solution a bit more detailed?

Many times flashing the wrong rom won't lose you twrp. First thing is make sure you can't access twrp because many people don't do it right. You need to press and hold power for no less than 15 seconds to power off the phone. Many people let up too early when they feel a vibration and instead the phone reboots and recovery can't be accessed from that state. So make sure its entirely off, then use volume down and power button to access the factory reset screen. Accept the factory reset prompt in order to get back into twrp. Then you can restore nandroid backup or adb push a working rom to the phone and flash that instead. If you're sure you've already done all that and still don't have recovery, then you can consider other options but it would be strange to lose twrp based on a custom rom flash.

Upvote 0
Many times flashing the wrong rom won't lose you twrp. First thing is make sure you can't access twrp because many people don't do it right. You need to press and hold power for no less than 15 seconds to power off the phone. Many people let up too early when they feel a vibration and instead the phone reboots and recovery can't be accessed from that state. So make sure its entirely off, then use volume down and power button to access the factory reset screen. Accept the factory reset prompt in order to get back into twrp. Then you can restore nandroid backup or adb push a working rom to the phone and flash that instead. If you're sure you've already done all that and still don't have recovery, then you can consider other options but it would be strange to lose twrp based on a custom rom flash.

I made a huge mistake during fixing the issue. I removed twrp to get download mode back. Now download mode is available, but twrp is missing. I used these below commands.
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I made a huge mistake during fixing the issue. I removed twrp to get download mode back. Now download mode is available, but twrp is missing. I used these below commands.
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Ok and when you did that were you flashing the stock recovery with that second command or TWRP recovery?

Upvote 0
If the rom flashed it may be seen as a different model which causes problems with the firmware update tools. It's easier to work around with a tot because they can be hexedited to bypass the model check. There's some threads here and elsewhere that discuss it but not all variants use tots so you may be relegated to using a kdz instead. In which case you basically have to get lucky.

Upvote 0
Hi,
My LG G2 D802 16Gb was previously rooted and TWRP, was using Pardus 7.7 with kernel Dori 10.
last night I went to try formationg the file system and cache to F2fs, reinstall the rom and kernel.

but keep getting bootloop on logo with green led blinking, no whats so ever success entering recovery or hard reset display. my device is currently able to go to Download mode only, please assist me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones