• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My LG G5 won't let me use the screen

Camille Allen

Lurker
Jul 14, 2018
Earlier today I noticed black lines on the right side of my screen and I have no idea where they came from. I've had my phone for about a year and it's had a few problems before and I just figured maybe it was time to get a new phone. So it was working just fine except for when I watched YouTube it would sometimes skip 100 seconds ahead randomly and then wouldn't let me touch anything for a couple seconds and the typing was off and that was about it. And well I was just listening to music and I went to turn on my phone to text a friend and I tried to use my double tap feature and it wasn't working. So I plugged it in and the screen turned on and I went to go unlock it and it still wasn't letting me unlock it so I turned it off and turned it back on and still the same thing so now it only turns on when I plug it in or unplug it and and can't interact with it any other way. Is there a way that I can't at least temporarily use it because I have a couple of big things coming up soon that I will need it for and don't have time to go through the process of getting a new one yet.

It sounds like the touchscreen is failing, for whatever reason.

If you have a USB OTG adapter you can control the phone with a mouse. A bit rubbish for using it as a phone, but ok for making sure all your backups are up to date.

You can try old favourites like booting into recovery and clearing the system cache, or a reset if your backups are complete. But if it is hardware nothing but repair or replacement will help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones