• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my OnePlus One experience

THE W

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2012
Detroit
so i got a little free time on my hands so i decided to write up a review of my ONE.

first i want to say that this phone is indeed worth the wait. you're gonna get a premium device with premium design for half the cost of the competitors. despite oneplus's bumbling in getting this product into the hands of customers, they have themselves a real game changer here. they just need to make the darn thing more available. i really do want this company to succeed as well as Xaimoi(sp?) and other similar companies offering flagships phones for mid range prices. if these companies win, we win.

so on to the review.

FYI: just to get it out of the way, my unit does not have a yellow tint or hue.

DESIGN:

one word: sexy. just a great looking device. feels solid in the hand and i love the sandstone back. everyone i've shown it to at work loves it. its a big phone but due to its ergonomic design it feels good in the hand. i like how the sides have flat edges to them as it feels more secure when i grip it from its sides with my fingers. my S3 always felt like it was gonna slip out of my hand when i would hold it in landscape mode for videos because of the curved edges. the flat edges allow me to hold the phone in landscape with one hand with a very secure feeling grip. the sandstone backing also gives you a non-slip grip.

BATTERY LIFE:

it's almost impossible to determine what a phone's battery life actually is because it grossly varies according to use case. my battery life experience will be based on my own use case. your results may vary.

with a little over 3 hours of screen on time, i was able to get 2 and half days of battery life out of my phone with about 30% left. my usage was mostly bluetooth music in my car(i never turn bluetooth off). also messing around with settings, making frequent short phone calls to customers, looking up addresses on google maps, reading apps, and watching some videos locally on the hard drive. screen brightness during that time was mostly below 50%. again, you might not get the same results with your use case but for myself and what i do with my phone i am well beyond thrilled. my S3 wouldn't get anywhere near this much battery life with the same usage. had to bring my charger with me and on occasions when i would forget it i would have to turn on airplane mode so it wouldn't die on me.

SOFTWARE:

loving the CM this phone comes with. smooth as butter. the only reason i rooted is because the ad blocker app i use needs root access. being able to control music playback without even turning the screen on is an awesome feature using the built in gestures. also being able turn the screen off by tapping the status bar is a cool feature. you can setup your nav ring to shut your phone off by swiping from the bottom of the screen as well. i have not experienced any crashes other then metro VVM not working. was fine when i switched to T-mobile VVM. installed a theme on my phone and everything works great and looks good(steele blue).

CALL QUALITY:

no issues with call quality on my unit. i can hear customers fine on my phone and they can hear me, even when i can hear them in noisy factories.

AUDIO QUALITY:

nice and loud. my ringtones are a whole lot louder than with my S3. maybe if i get a chance to compare it with the m8's speaker setup i'll see just how well they do but i'm satisfied with the audio quality. i also like the audioFX equalizer app as it really does improve the audio quality through your headphones and sound system. just make sure to have the right settings for your audio set up for it to work.

CAMERA:

this will have to be updated later as i really am not a camera person and hardly ever use my camera. i took a few pictures and they seemed pretty good but not really enough to make a definitive judgement.

UPDATE: after messing around with the camera way more than i ever would i have to say that the camera is just ok, nothing to write home about. the low light a night shots end up extremely grainy, at least at 100% crop. don't expect this camera to replace your DSLR, though oneplus stated they weren't aiming to do that in the first place. i have seen better night and low light shots taken by others with the ONE but mine just looked like utter crap. could be that i just suck at taking pictures or i need to mess around with settings. doesn't make me regret getting this phone in the slightest as i never take pictures anyway.

A few daytime pics:

ahadyde3.jpg

3uty2esu.jpg

e7u5yjyq.jpg

SCREEN:

nice and clear. it does attract some dust so the screen is definitely not dust proof. not an issue for me but just an FYI. colors look great and again, no yellow tint for me. i will say that my S3 may have been a little bit brighter on 100% than the ONE.

UPDATE: having it a few times in direct sunlight the screen visibility is decent but not great. the screen could double as a mirror and because of this there is a lot glare when exposed to direct sunlight. not totally un-visible, but could be a lot better.

the CONS:
- i would like to see the locksceen quick launch with more option than 5. something i had when i used carbonROM on the S3. also more options for the nav ring and on screen button panel.

- it seems that apollo music player is not included software. probably because apollo is seperate from CM? had to download it from the playstore in an app called "CM apps". ended up uninstalling it as it just doesn't have the functionality of poweramp.

-doesn't have a designated video player. i play videos through the gallery app but there's no way to separate the videos from all the album art i have on my phone so i have to search for them. would like to see option to display videos only or pics only, etc.

the BUGS:

all phones have bugs. there is no such thing as a bug free phone. here's some i've noticed.

-when attempting to end a phone call by pressing the end phone call button it will sometimes pull down the status bar menu.

- gestures can be quirky. when attempting to turn music or the flashlight on you sometimes have to turn the screen on for it to work. this happens a lot with the flashlight.

- while using nova launcher and setting it to rotate to landscape mode on the home screen. switching from landscape to portrait would take you to nova settings menu. i would have to back out of the nova settings menu each time to get back to the homescreen.

- there is a bit of a delay when launching the camera from gesture. maybe a whole second.

NEW BUG: sometimes when scrolling through texts the screen won't respond to a swipe and will instead highlight texts for copying. this has happened in my mysword bible app a few times.

CONCLUSION:

overall, a spectacular device and well worth waiting for. oneplus would do good to get this flagship killer in people's hands so they can see for themselves. the guys at oneplus may be idiots at marketing and distribution, but they're geniuses at making phones.

questions are welcomed

KEWL!

Glad to hear that,as I just got my OPTIMUS G PRO back from the repair shop.

I FUBARED the SIM Card slot by inserting an empty SIM Card adapter into the slot & snagging/breaking one of the contact pins.
Was fortunate that (for this particular phone,the LG OGP) the repair was relatively inexpensive.

Now that the OPO is on the way,I'll be selling the LG OGP & swapping the SIM Card from the OPO to the M8 will be worry-free,as they both use the NANO Sim Card.

It appears the LG G3 has the MICRO SIM Card slot,so,when swapping out w/this phone,I'll be wincing every time I change out.
If you don't get the NANO SIM seated in the adapter properly,or,inserting an empty SIM Card adapter,chances are you've went down a one-way street & most attempts at removal will result in damaging the SIM Card slot.

Sorry if this seems that I'm running on,but,I just wanted to share this with everyone who may have to use an adapter & to take care in not damaging your non-OPO phone in the process.

Upvote 0
Are you sure? Answers on the OnePlus forum seem to indicate micro SIM as does the specification page at gsmarena.com.

I Google-Searched earlier today & got a mixed bag,that's why I posted here.

However,I failed to You-Tube search until now & found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKQRXFPHxs

Perhaps there are versions that have NANO & others that have MICRO.
I was hoping for NANO,but,definitely not a deal breaker if it is indeed MICRO.
I'll just have to be careful to not insert an empty SIM adapter when changing over.

Upvote 0
Not a hint of it on mine,screen actually looks better than the G3:

Whites are whiter/overall brighter/sharper screen,especially text & better viewing angles.

VERY RESPONSIVE,not even a whiff of lag.

TBH,it's nice enough that I may eat the restocking fee on my G3 & send it back.

I've got a couple days to mull it over before I send either the G-FLEX in for JUMP Trade-in,or,send the G3 back.

I'm working on a FLEX sale,if it works out,the G3 is going back.
That would leave me w/2 phones,the OPO & M8.

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
ive got a metro sim card i guess its regular size...will this not fit in my incoming oneplus? is there a way to manually cut it so it does fit? forgive me if thats a dumb question im new to this stuff and i want to be ready for when it gets here monday or tuesday

What do you mean regular size? Where did you get the sim card from? The sim card sold from Metro is a nano sim with 2 included adapters for micro and standard. Are you going to take the sim card out of a different phone?

Upvote 0
Those card cutters are a bad idea,especially going from a standard (biggest) to micro or nano:
The standard card is thicker than the micro SIM Card & even if cut perfectly,have a great potential to get hung up in the SIM CARD Slot.
Not sure if the same applies when going from micro to nano,but,save yourself from a potentially expensive repair bill & get the right-sized SIM Card.
From what I gather,all 1+1's shipped now come w/both micro & nano trays,so,there's no good reason to trim a SIM Card.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Another piece of advice on SIM Cards & this is from personal experience:
Avoid using SIM Card adapters,such as this,on any phone,regardless of card slot design:

5122330TE0SSA582PAN11382703720_1411633780.jpg

Should you accidentally insert an empty SIM Card adapter,you risk it getting hung-up on a contact/tine & will damage the phone upon removal.
Luckily,the one phone that I did this with I was able to get repaired for less than $50 parts+labor.
Again,no need for 3rd party adapters,as the 1+1 now ships w/both Micro & Nano SIM Card trays.

Upvote 0
Those card cutters are a bad idea,especially going from a standard (biggest) to micro or nano:
The standard card is thicker than the micro SIM Card & even if cut perfectly,have a great potential to get hung up in the SIM CARD Slot.
Not sure if the same applies when going from micro to nano,but,save yourself from a potentially expensive repair bill & get the right-sized SIM Card.
From what I gather,all 1+1's shipped now come w/both micro & nano trays,so,there's no good reason to trim a SIM Card.
Its actually ok going from mini (biggest) to micro (medium) as they're the same thickness mate. Going from micro to nano is a problem though as the nano are thinner

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones