• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My response from htc about q1 2.1

I'm thinking they're going to try and sell the more expensive and more impressive N1/Incredible before they give Eris a 2.1 update.

Make the less informed Eris owners feel "Oh, guess I just need to buy a new phone if I want to get a better version of Android"

I really want the incredible though. lol

Upvote 0
"We" have? Were you promised an update when you purchased your phone? Does it work exactly the way it did the first day you owned it?

I seriously do not understand this entitlement philosophy that some of you have as though HTC/Verizon somehow OWES you an update.

When you go to Verizon and are debating between the Droid or the Eris and they say that soon and before the end of Q1 we will be running the same OS then yes we are OWED an updated. Shut up and go somewhere else if you did not ask before you bought the phone then I guess you are not owed the update but some of us did.

Upvote 0
and who lied to you again? i forgot. HTC said they had a projected date of OS completion (which they met). i am not sure if verizon ever released an official announcement because they are not the ones responsible for the OS being completed.:D ;)

They said in the email that they did not meet the deadline. They said that 2.1 in q1 had not come to fruition = not been finished.

Upvote 0
When you go to Verizon and are debating between the Droid or the Eris and they say that soon and before the end of Q1 we will be running the same OS then yes we are OWED an updated. Shut up and go somewhere else if you did not ask before you bought the phone then I guess you are not owed the update but some of us did.

Yep, my wife and I were explicitly told "first week of January" by the salesman. But I'm perfectly happy with the 2.1 leak (v2), so I'm not going to go back and yell at the guy or anything.

In retrospect, I think the salespeople must have known that an update was coming (MR2 arrived January 7 on pcdphones.com and January 22 OTA), and they thought that would bring the new OS. They were just mistaken.

Upvote 0
I don't care THAT much when the actual update comes except to have a less buggy OS, ( I went from leak 1, then leak 2 which is ok for now). To me it's about all the rumors, "oh janueary 22, this date, that date, and knowing it wasn't going to come...at least I could rely on the solid deadline from the company that stated "2.1 will be released for the eris by the end of Q1". Then the quarter ended, no announcement of how they didn't finish, then projecting that, "oh maybe sometime in Q2 we can finish it up." Who's to say they're going to finish it this quarter, same thing as last time could happen, and then people will start to get pissed off, even the ones who think that 1.5 is fine.

Edit: "The original statement was that we had projected the update to be available in the 1st quarter; however, this did not come to fruition"

I know it's part verizons fault, but still...

Upvote 0
This thread still cracks me up. I haven't heard this much whining since my kids were in grade school. To funny!

Yes, we're whining.

Me: Which phone should I get, I like the eris's size, but the droid has google maps navigation and 2.0, and it's faster.

Salesperson: Well, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Actually, the eris is getting updated to have google maps navigation and the same operating system as the droid in 2 weeks (this would be early january).

Me: well, if that's the case, I can deal with 1.5 for two weeks, whatever. As long as I get that update it'll be cool. I'll take the eris, thanks.

...update doesn't come...

HTC: Droid Eris is getting 2.1 by the end of quarter 1

...update doesn't come...

Me: I wonder what other people think about this situation...

Other people: Oh my god, this thread is so funny, why do you think you should get an update, why are you whining?! You feel so entitled to this update, your phone came with 1.5, you should be happy. You think your OWED an update just because you bought your phone due to a salesperson telling you that it would be updated in 2 weeks, and it's been over 3 months, your stupid. Your generation is stupid.......entitlement bs.....

I just don't get it :thinking:

Upvote 0
You were technically ripped off by a malinformed, talking dork sales rep at a store.

They are not trained well, are they?

You likely knew that about sales reps in general. They are trained to sell, if trained at all.

Hypothetically speaking, if this is the case, which I would agree with you for the most part, do you think I am entitled to a return, even after waiting for the update after my 30 day wait period?

To be honest, if I went back to the store and he said, you can trade in your phone, my bad, I would trade in for an incredible when it's out. If the incredible is available before a legitimate version of 2.1, I might try that :rolleyes:

Edit: When I went into the store, I had no previous knowledge of android, and my whole family was switching to Verizon. It seemed more like he was an employee setting up our account (who also happened to be the store owner), not someone trying to pitch a sale. If he was just trying to get a sale, he should have told me to get the droid, he would have made more money. I had to get a phone in the store anyway...
I've been using the leaks since they first became available, so I'm not as concerned as the people who are fine with 1.5, or don't want to risk anything by using the leaks.

Upvote 0
Hypothetically speaking, if this is the case, which I would agree with you for the most part, do you think I am entitled to a return, even after waiting for the update after my 30 day wait period?

You could probably make a case for that in a court of law; sillier cases have been awarded by judges with apparent dementia or a sense of humor, or by juries with access to fine grade Lebanese hash and a 12 hose hookah.

Upvote 0
I think we should send anyone who comes up with another rumor about
2.1 OTA to compulsory colonoscopy. A deep, prolonged one...
Peter

I dare say there are those here who would welcome such a procedure, going by the proliferation of apparent anal-generated threads and posts wrt 2.1 OTA not arriving in their phones yet.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Do this:

Your boss asks for a report to be done by Thursday April 8th. When the 8th comes around, don't have it done. Tell him to **** off and that you didn't promise him anything. Tell him he's part of a generation of people that expect everything just handed to them. Ask him why he feels entitled to the report and if you promised him said report when he hired you.

Video or it didn't happen. If you keep your job, I'll pay your cell phone bill for a year.

Smacky = 'da man!

Upvote 0
I think we should send anyone who comes up with another rumor about
2.1 OTA to compulsory colonoscopy. A deep, prolonged one...
Peter

I hope you weren't referring to this thread as a 'rumor', you could easily email htc in regards to 2.1, quarter 1, and verizon as key words and I'm sure you would get a similar, if not identical response.

Upvote 0
I hope you weren't referring to this thread as a 'rumor', you could easily email htc in regards to 2.1, quarter 1, and verizon as key words and I'm sure you would get a similar, if not identical response.

Sales people do one thing: to push a product to sell. More often than not, they are badly informed and cannot be trusted on details (of course, there are exceptions.)
Do you trust a car salesman? It is pretty much like that with the cell phones. They may not lie to you directly, but they are usually saying things that the customer wants to hear.
There were a number of people from this forum who e-mailed to Verizon/HTC about the upgrade, and each of them received the same non-answer. As I pointed out it is not in their interest to reveal their concrete plans and it is naive to ask them to.
Peter

Upvote 0
Sales people do one thing: to push a product to sell. More often than not, they are badly informed and cannot be trusted on details (of course, there are exceptions.)
Do you trust a car salesman? It is pretty much like that with the cell phones. They may not lie to you directly, but they are usually saying things that the customer wants to hear.
There were a number of people from this forum who e-mailed to Verizon/HTC about the upgrade, and each of them received the same non-answer. As I pointed out it is not in their interest to reveal their concrete plans and it is naive to ask them to.
Peter

I just don't get how email htc customer service about an update is the same as being mad about misinformation on behalf of a verizon salesperson. HTC customer support knows I already bought the phone, they're not pushing it on my, I already own it.

Upvote 0
I just don't get how email htc customer service about an update is the same as being mad about misinformation on behalf of a verizon salesperson. HTC customer support knows I already bought the phone, they're not pushing it on my, I already own it.

BlueDC2, HTC customer support is not pushing it, they simple are not saying WHEN the upgrade is going to happen. Its their right to do so. The issue with the Verizon sales people is different. The often mislead and misinform people often knowingly, often by stupidity. I am not mad at them because I don't expect from them any different.
Peter

Upvote 0
BlueDC2, HTC customer support is not pushing it, they simple are not saying WHEN the upgrade is going to happen. Its their right to do so. The issue with the Verizon sales people is different. The often mislead and misinform people often knowingly, often by stupidity. I am not mad at them because I don't expect from them any different.
Peter

I gotchya, re-read your post. My bad :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones