• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps My source code - off-shore development

djm2010

Lurker
Oct 2, 2013
We are developing an app off-shore and i want to make sure that we get the source code at the end of the project (i am not expert, regarding programming). We receive builds from the developer - would we be able to take those builds to another developer and he would easily be able to continue programming on the same builds?

Hope you can help!

You would need the source code including the libraries, assets and resources used in order to be able to pass it on to somebody. Here are some tips to not allow somebody to cheat you.

1) Do not let them know that you are not knowledgeable about source code! In fact, say that your technical team will review each and every deliverable.

2) Make a clear agreement with payment terms linked to delivery of source code to you.

3) If possible, try to get somebody technical to have a random check of the deliverable just to make sure that the right things are being delivered.

4) Demand a daily or weekly delivery to not allow the development team to operate as a blackbox.

5) With-hold a good fraction of the payment till a properly working app along with full source code is delivered.

6) It might be good to have some kind of a shared source code repository running CVS or SVN that would allow them as well as you to access the source code any time.

7) In the long term, employ somebody who can review technical stuff for quality and completeness.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones