• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N.E.A.K. Gingerbread kernel (v1.x)

Only on 1st bloody coffee... give me a break! :D

I'm loving this N.E.A.K. 1.3.2... its blooming gorgeous.

If I was forced to compare this to Siyah 2.6.11, I'd have to say that this baby has the edge for me in terms of performance and battery... which is saying something, as Siyah is pretty darn good.

I agree! For me: NEAK+CheckRom v4 and PL6 work OK.

Upvote 0
Hello!

Is there a way to backup ROM to ext-sd from NEAK recovery menu?

I've made a backup from recovery menu but haven't found how to send that backup directly to external storage (external sd). Same when creating EFS backup from the same menu.

I am sure this can be done but due to my limitations or age :) I can't find how. Is it save to SD card?

Another question: Does anyone use Juice Defender, Green power or something like that or your voltage controls and governor chosen are enough?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Just do the backup, then copy it to the external sd card in File Manager, or Windows.
Obviously if you need to restore, you will need to copy the folder back to internal storage beforehand.

I dont bother with JD type apps. As long as you have followed the pointers in ironass' great thread then you won't need them. In fact, having those types of applications running when your phone is already in an optimum state will hinder rather than help your battery drain.

By the way, NEAK 1.3.3 to be released this evening. :)

Reactions: glore2002
Upvote 0
Just do the backup, then copy it to the external sd card in File Manager, or Windows.
Obviously if you need to restore, you will need to copy the folder back to internal storage beforehand.

I dont bother with JD type apps. As long as you have followed the pointers in ironass' great thread then you won't need them. In fact, having those types of applications running when your phone is already in an optimum state will hinder rather than help your battery drain.

By the way, NEAK 1.3.3 to be released this evening. :)

Yes, as soon as NEAK 1.3.3 shows up I will download it.

What about DarkKnight kernel? Have you tried it. What do yo think about it? Opinion? Since this is the original kernel that comes with CheckRom.

I can't find the download page with the latest release.

Upvote 0
1.3.3 is up!
:)

First impressions are the usual extremely good standard. VERY smooth!
vr/lulzactive 200/1200 are the default settings

Now for some testing!....

New versions of my gs2 cleaner scripts are now up in order to accomodate changes made in 1.3.3

I flashed both, new cleaner script and kernel 1.3.3. Thank you!
What does it mean OTA update? I am sure it sound like a stupid question :)
Are you using same voltage settings as for 1.3.2? (noop-conservative and 100-800 lower power rate and same voltages?). I also enabled everything in Recovery (all tweaks and Gov).
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Indeed butty.
Seems like the days of big noticeable improvements after flashing a new kernel are behind us now, at least as far as neak and siyah are concerned, being so damn good in the first place.

I'm sticking with the same config on 1.3.3 initially so I can compare with 1.3.2.
I will then perhaps consider different scheduler/governor for more testing.

Reactions: glore2002
Upvote 0
Thank you! I've found it. There was a battery script. Of course :) I flashed it. It changed things from 200mhz to100mhz. I will give it a try. What happens if it freezes my phone or if it doesn't work? Do I have to reflash kernel? or any other possibilities?.

Thanks!

Hey guys!
Glad to see you like the new release...

About the script, this script auto changes the max frequency during discharging...so as the battery will discharge the max freq will be 1Ghz or 800Mhz and so on

So i want to be clear on it cuz a lot of people are confused on it

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Hey guys!
Glad to see you like the new release...

About the script, this script auto changes the max frequency during discharging...so as the battery will discharge the max freq will be 1Ghz or 800Mhz and so on

So i want to be clear on it cuz a lot of people are confused on it

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

Thanks Simone201 for your explanation.
As I can see, there are two scripts (one for 100 and the other for 200). What settings regarding to this and voltage control would you recommend for your kernel. I will really appreciate your answer.

Thanks in advance,
glore2002.-

Upvote 0
This version seems fab. Never got on with previous, never seemed slick for my temperamental phone, but this one works like the proverbial off a shovel. Niiiiiice. Smooooooth..

My only minor gripe is that it doesn't support jkay's brightness settings.

But gonna keep this one on a few days at least.

Upvote 0
This version seems fab. Never got on with previous, never seemed slick for my temperamental phone, but this one works like the proverbial off a shovel. Niiiiiice. Smooooooth..

My only minor gripe is that it doesn't support jkay's brightness settings.

But gonna keep this one on a few days at least.

I agree with you Syd... very smooth and very fast, even with my u/v and u/c.

However, like you, it is not playing nicely with my JKay Deluxe Settings and does not allow me to adjust the Auto-brightness. I keep receiving the message, "Custom kernel required".

This, I fear, will impact negatively on my battery usage with the screen on as Display is usually the biggest battery consumer.

The other minor niggle I have is the fact that it doesn't fully integrate with CWM Manager and I get the message...

"This version of CWMManager should be used with CF-Root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features are disabled."

Whilst it is no big deal to use work-around's for this, it would be easier, I feel, for some people if this was fixed.

I've done a swerve on the 2 battery scripts as I prefer to use my own settings. Maybe, a brief explanation of what the battery scripts actually do might be a good idea, before some people download them.

Also. the Kernel Cleaning Script, (by our very own hawker), in Extras, is V1.4 which has now been superseded by V1.5 that contains specific N.E.A.K. modifications and can be downloaded, here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...ot/469630-my-gs2-kernel-cleaning-scripts.html

Having said all that... N.E.A.K. 1.3.3 is shaping up to be a real winner in terms of both speed and battery.

Well done simone! :)

Reactions: Hawker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones