Nandroid Backup + A Replacement EVO

Last Updated:

1. The Lorax

The Lorax Active Member This Topic's Starter

If I backup my current fresh Rom via nandroid to my SD card and get my replacement phone and root the new phone, put the SD card with my backup on it and do a restore will it go back to all my old settings, etc?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I am not sure about this but I dont think that would be possible since you would need to have the phone rooted in order to access recovery and flash roms.

3. The Lorax

I see what you're saying. What I'm using is if I root the new phone as well and then restore my backup from my old rooted phone on the new rooted phone... will it work?

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misunderstood the question... I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work assuming that the new phone will not have the latest OTA.

5. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

If it does have the OTA, you can still root with xda's new method.

6. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I read about the new method but will you be able to flash a nand backup which used the old method for root?

7. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

No idea. If you can't then either way, you're hosed, so no harm, no foul.

8. The Lorax

Cool ill let yall know what happens on Friday when I will supposedly get the new phone. Thanks for tbe updates on new xda method. Mind putting link up for future reference?

Thanks

9. The Lorax

Cool ill let yall know what happens on Friday when I will supposedly get the new phone. Thanks for tbe updates on new xda method. Mind putting link up for future reference?

Thanks

10. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

11. The Lorax

Sorry, but thanks for the link. Just downgraded my phone with the RUU image back to stock to swap it out with the "new" phone tomorrow. hope i get a novatec.

Later.

12. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Lorax,

Sorry to say but the answer is no, it will not work. You would think it should, at least in theory but I put it to the test last week.

A nandroid backup to my knowledge is non-transferable. There must be specific info in the nand backup tying it to a specific device.

I was running fresh 0.3 on a device. Created nand backup, exchanged the device. Then did a new full root on the new device, flashed the 0.3 fresh rom and attempted a nand restore from the same backup. No dice, it will not work.

You're better off to use something like titanium backup, I assume you are mainly attempting to back up your apps. Hope this helps.

13. The Lorax

Alright well then I won't even try. I don't even care cuz now my phone seems flawless (for the time being. i hope my volume keys don't get shitty & loose again.)

I got a hardware 003 version and it looks like i have the novatel screen (power control widget dims gradually instead of instantly changing brightness like my last 003 phone) so all is good in the jungle.

already rooted running fresh 0.5.3 and the OTA update was not pre-installed to the phone. used simple root .2 --- cool.

14. rlamb2

rlamb2 New Member

It's true, that nandroid does infact use a method of making the backups tied to a specific device, but its not as complicated as you would think.

Now I did this with an Eris, but it should work for you as well.

I nandbacked up my broken eris (cracked screen), transfered the sd card to the new phone, and booted up the phone in recovery mode.

Then I backed up the new phone once. This will create a new folder with the new phones Serial number as the name of it.

Now boot up normally and mount the sd card as a disk drive.

In the sdcard, go into the nandroid folder and you should see two folders. Look at the old phones serial number and copy the backup from there to the new serial number folder.

then just run a nand backup like normal, selecting the right one from the list!

All done! Hope that helps!

This is my first post- Love what you guys here are doin!!!

15. skunkd

skunkd Well-Known Member

what about if you are doing it to 2 evos with different phone numbers? like lets say my friend wants to use my setup as is? can he load my nandroid in his recovery? or is that an issue?

16. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I don't think it will affect the phone number but your friend will have all of your data on his evo... dont know if you really want that.

17. skunkd

skunkd Well-Known Member

O its actually a nandroid of before I put any data in. Pretty much a clean install that's themed so I guess ill give it a try

18. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

When i got my replacement evo, i used my old nand backup, so it does work