• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need a T-Mobile Nandroid

The best way to do it is to zip it up then upload it.

Lol, my apologies. I know that now. Do you want me to go back, zip it, and re-upload? I can if it will make it easier for you... Its done now though.

I've got a zip file uploading. I'll post the link to it as soon as it's done

Last edited:
Reactions: Masterchief87
Upvote 0
To use his zip Masterchief87 your going to have to boot into recovery twrp with twrp in recovery partition, your going to have to use dd command to put it to system and dd the boot.img to boot.img, then make a backup, because he used dd to back it up so he didn't have to install twrp or anything, and only did a tmp root am I correct auburn????

Upvote 0
And I haven't even tried to see if we have adb shell in twrp yet that's another thing you would need to copy the .img
To use his zip Masterchief87 your going to have to boot into recovery twrp with twrp in recovery partition, your going to have to use dd command to put it to system and dd the boot.img to boot.img, then make a backup, because he used dd to back it up so he didn't have to install twrp or anything, and only did a tmp root am I correct auburn????
He used twrp to make the backup but he had some problems with uploading which is why he deleted a couple of his previous posts. I ended up getting what I needed in the form of raw images. After you posted instructions on xda, someone who had not yet rooted their T-Mobile zmax got temp root and used DD command to pull the images that I needed.

We do have adb shell in twrp with root access. Actually, as soon as I typed "adb shell" it gave me "#" instead of "$" so I didn't even have to type "su" in order to execute commands as root.
First, I rebooted into twrp and then did a factory reset and formatted the system partition and then checked to make sure that the system was still mounted.
Next I connected my phone to my PC and used adb to flash the images with the following commands.

adb shell

dd if=/emmc/Download/bootbak.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot

dd if=/emmc/Download/systembak.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system

I then went to reboot system but it said "No OS Installed" so I rebooted recovery instead.
After rebooting recovery I mounted the system partition again and opened the file manager in twrp and opened the system folder and saw that all the files and folders were in fact present.
Seeing that flashing the system image had worked, I once again chose the option to reboot system and this time it did not give me the warning about no os being installed (It seems that when you flash a system image through adb, you have to reboot recovery and remount system before twrp can see the new system files). It gave me a message about not being rooted, which I ignored, and finally when I booted into android it took about 4 minutes to boot after which everything worked normally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones