• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need advise on Moment or move on

tmaxey1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
Ok guys a little background first.
My wife has been using a Pre since last year. Her line is now eligible for an upgrade and I am considering getting her a Moment to replace the pre. I know the phone is discontinued and replaced by the Epic and Intercept.
But she doesnt want to pay 250 for a phone plus the 10 extra per month for 4g service that she would never use. I tried to talk to her into the Epic or Evo but i she is probably right in that she just wont use the features on the phones to justify the cost.

Her biggest reason for hating the Palm Pre is the terrible battery life. Her job is in a bad signal area for sprint and the Pre is bad anyway. So by 2 in the afternoon her phone is completely dead every day. Its terrible. Plus that Pre is a POS overall.

I looked at the intercept and it seems like a moment that has a lcd low res screen. How in the world is that considered a replacement for the Moment. The screen was really blurry. So i kind of ruled it out.

The shame is that sprint does not have any phones that are quality phones except the Epic and EVO. And they are both over priced by sprint. I use the EVO myself. But i am a phone nerd and use most of the features and love it.

So with all of that said, whould you moment owners recommend getting her a moment. Amazon has them for free with upgrade.

Thanks guys

I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the moment to anyone. I especially can't recommend it if battery life and signal strength are issues. She will absolutely not be able to make it through a day with any battery life if she has a low signal. Mine is down below 50% by noon, if I never use it, when I just plug it in and leave it all afternoon.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
That's your service area most likely. My Moment typically lasts well through a whole day and more, and I typically have chargers around any way to supplement. If you look at any Android sub-forum you'll most likely find gripes about the battery.

OP - if you have good coverage the Moment is a solid phone with a lot of developer support for it.

Upvote 0
i would wait if she can. the moment isnt a good phone even when rooted. my battery is a bit better then stock but it still sucks. low and no signal areas will likely drain the battery quicker. the moment is plagued with glitches samsung hasnt yet fixed. data locks, airplane mode and gps issuses are the norm for this phone.

Upvote 0
My wife just moved from a Pre to a Epic last week. She had lots of issues with the Pre, the worst was its battery performance in low signal (she works in a TV control center). Though there were some places the one phone got better life than the other, I wouldn't say one had overall better battery life and my Moment is rooted running efficient roms. I wouldn't waste an upgrade on the Moment if I were you. My wife's not complaining about the Epic's battery *yet*, so I'm guessing it's much better than the Pre.

Upvote 0
I would skip the Moment. I got mine in February and I've had it replaced 2 times already. Its to the point that I have a reboot shortcut on the home screen because I have to reboot it 3-4 times a day. I gave up on Sprint replacing my phone for a non-Moment phone. They could only put me in a Blackberry Curve. I told them I didn't want to downgrade.
Not sure on the history of the Intercept, but since its a Samsung I would skip that too. I'm waiting for a HTC or Motorola slider phone to hit Sprint. If Sprint doesn't get any of those then I'll just pay more and Switch to Verizon.

Upvote 0
That's your service area most likely. My Moment typically lasts well through a whole day and more, and I typically have chargers around any way to supplement. If you look at any Android sub-forum you'll most likely find gripes about the battery.

OP - if you have good coverage the Moment is a solid phone with a lot of developer support for it.

If you read the OP, you'll see that the issue of coverage is specifically mentioned. While no smartphone is going to have good battery life if the coverage is poor, the moment is a particularly bad choice in this situation due to their use of a taped on paper clip as an antenna.

I'm not even in a poor service area. No one else has the issue with crappy coverage in my building, no matter which service provider they use. It's just a poor antenna.

Upvote 0
The shame is that sprint does not have any phones that are quality phones except the Epic and EVO. And they are both over priced by sprint.

First of all the Moment is a POS and don't let anyone tell you differently. If someone claims the Moment is a "great" phone that means one or all of the following:

1. They have never used it as a GPS navigator
2. They have always used the headset when making or receiving a call
3. They have never enabled Wifi
4. They have never used the bundled Web browser
5. They don't mind a screen that completely, 100% washes out in sunlight
6. They think it's normal to experience momentary lag when switching from screen to screen.
7. They like carrying a phone that is big, bulky, heavy, and neither conveniently fits in a shirt pocket, or a pant pocket.
8. They...

I could go on, but I won't, you get the hint. Be happy your wife doesn't have the option of getting a Moment due to its being discontinued, and good riddance. That phone was obviously rushed to market before it was ready.

However, as much as I despise my phone, I absolutely love a physicall keyboard and can't see myself owning an EVO because of that. That leaves the Epic, and despite being $50 overpriced (and forcing owners to pay $10 extra for 4g whether it's available in their area or not), is also a Samsung product, and is plagued with the same GPS issue as the Moment, and apparently as all Samsung phones.

Since the EVO and the Epic are the only two phones I would consider purchasing from Sprint, and I can't use the EVO because of the lack of physical keyboard, I am giving Samsung and Sprint until December to fix the GPS issue, and eliminate the $10 surcharge until there is actually a 4G network in my area to use, or I'm moving on to Verizon and paying the $150 Sprint early termination fee and getting a Droid 2. My friend owns a Droid 2 and she has NONE of the issues I suffer from with my Moment. I refuse to pay for features in a data plan I can't use (ie. GPS, WIFI, 4G etc.).

I'm not sure if this was much help to you, but you pretty much nailed it in your quoted sentence, and therefore you know the issues you're faced with. Best of luck to you and your wife, but maybe a move to Verizon is something she should seriously consider as well.

Upvote 0
First of all the Moment is a POS and don't let anyone tell you differently. If someone claims the Moment is a "great" phone that means one or all of the following:

6. They think it's normal to experience momentary lag when switching from screen to screen.
7. They like carrying a phone that is big, bulky, heavy, and neither conveniently fits in a shirt pocket, or a pant pocket.
8. They...
Wow a bit bitter aren't you?

No one here claims it's a great phone, but for a non-4G SPCS android phone it's better than the alternative.

And I have done all of the above and more, it's not the greatest but it gets the job done.

The other thing about the Moment is it is about one of the easiest and most fool-proof phones to root, and to put a custom ROM on. Extremely easy and risk-free, that even a kid could do it. The custom ROMS really help with improving the usage of this phone.

Reactions: KyLeZKooL12
Upvote 0

***It took 2 exchanges to get there, but the gps performance of my current phone is better than my Garmin ***
***Rubbish***
***wifi works fine, the lockup that can occur after using it is this phones biggest flaw. Avoid by rebooting after quitting wifi***
***Default Android browser is fine. Don't like it? That's what the market is for!***
***Overstatement, but direct sunlight is a problem for 1st gen AMOLED screens. Surprised by this? Then you didn't do your homework before purchase.***
***Speed is fine for a first gen Android device. Newer phones are much faster....DUH!***
***And it's smaller than the Epic and arguably the Evo.***
8. They...

I AM anyone and I'm here to tell YOU differently!

The Moment isn't a great device, but then agan few really are. While it has its share of warts, it's not a POS either. It doesn't compare well with the next generation of devices currently available, which is understandable. OTH, when compared to my 12yr old Casio E115, it seems almost miraculous. The Epic will seem a POS to some when compared to 3.0 devices too.

Reactions: KyLeZKooL12
Upvote 0
i think its a great phone. even when its unrooted if you run a task killer. the battery life isent that good. but you can invest the 11-20 dollars to buy a secondary battery. i think it has the best keyboard for any phone and i get great reception everywhere except school. stop dissing the moment if you dont know what your talking about.

Upvote 0
the moment is full of glitches and and bugs that samsung and sprint has not addressed and fixed. data lock and gps issues are my main gripes with this phone otherwise its performs quite well for its generation. you cannot ignore its problems as they seriously affect the phones functionality. i think the overall majority of the ppl who have the moment wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone interested. its up to the op to decide, we just give our opinions. play nice everyone :)

Upvote 0
I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend the moment to anyone. I especially can't recommend it if battery life and signal strength are issues. She will absolutely not be able to make it through a day with any battery life if she has a low signal. Mine is down below 50% by noon, if I never use it, when I just plug it in and leave it all afternoon.

+1

Upvote 0
its an okay phone. like everyone above says, it doesnt work perfectly but it defenitly gets the job done. If you make sure you dont download useless apps and have a million things running in the backround, the battery isnt that bad. I probably send/recieve 100 text messages a day and make several phone calls and I can easily get it to last 24 hours. I find that about once a month you go to "manage applications" and clear all the cache in every app the phone runs much quicker.

The only problem I have is that about once every 3 months I get some sort of a software glitch (i.e. screen wont lock, sleep button non responsive, boot loop) and Im forced to do a data reset. Its not terrible because everything gets synced back on and the apps only take a few mintues because I keep them on my computer but it's defenitly a downfall.

Its something im willing to put up with though because any android is better than a blackberry and im not paying an extra $10 a month for a phone capable of 4g when the carrier barely has any 4g spots (thats why I dont have the evo or the epic)

Upvote 0
I AM anyone and I'm here to tell YOU differently!

The Moment isn't a great device, but then agan few really are. While it has its share of warts, it's not a POS either. It doesn't compare well with the next generation of devices currently available, which is understandable. OTH, when compared to my 12yr old Casio E115, it seems almost miraculous. The Epic will seem a POS to some when compared to 3.0 devices too.

When the GPS actually gets a satellite lock it does fine as a navigator, the problem is being ever able to obtain a lock. So while I don't dispute your statement when it's working, I find it hard to believe your new Moment does any better with satellite locking than mine (purchased in April).

So you're saying when talking on the phone your cheek has never set off a bunch of apps in the background due to the phone's inability to correctly lock it when on a call? Wow, you are quite lucky then, as pretty much every time I don't use my headphones I invariably set off all kinds of random apps, like GPS, browser, and music player. I love it when the music player goes off when on a call, that is great to have King Diamond blasting in the background when I'm on the phone with my boss, very professional!

Lastly, it's not the browser that is the problem, it's the absolutely horrid performance of the phone when surfing the Web. If this is a problem with the phone or Sprint's network I'm not sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the phone due to all of its other glitches.

Upvote 0
So you're saying when talking on the phone your cheek has never set off a bunch of apps in the background due to the phone's inability to correctly lock it when on a call? Wow, you are quite lucky then, as pretty much every time I don't use my headphones I invariably set off all kinds of random apps, like GPS, browser, and music player. I love it when the music player goes off when on a call, that is great to have King Diamond blasting in the background when I'm on the phone with my boss, very professional!

Lastly, it's not the browser that is the problem, it's the absolutely horrid performance of the phone when surfing the Web. If this is a problem with the phone or Sprint's network I'm not sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and blame the phone due to all of its other glitches.

i never had any problems with setting off apps when i'm on the phone. if your phone is doing that then your proximity sensor is broke, glitched from another app or android system, and android needs to be re-flashed or factory reset. the phone should turn off the screen when it gets near your face.

you are correct about the data issues. the moment has problems with data lockups and its not sprints network or the web browsers fault. its samsungs fault. faulty hardware or software.

Upvote 0
When the GPS actually gets a satellite lock it does fine as a navigator, the problem is being ever able to obtain a lock. So while I don't dispute your statement when it's working, I find it hard to believe your new Moment does any better with satellite locking than mine (purchased in April).

My read on this? Your bad experience with the device has caused you to become hyper sensitive of every little flaw and all these devices have their share of flaws. You're also making a mistake in assuming that after reading a few other people having similar problems on a web forum that everyone shares your experience. Unrealistic expectations lead to bitter disappointment and the world wide web is not the wide world. My guess is that you should have had your malfunctioning phone replaced long ago. It's also my guess that it's too late for that now.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones