• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help on deciding what phone to go with

Hello everyone, I have been using Straight Talk service for the past 7 years. I've been thru 3 phones from when I started. I started with the cheapest and went to a more expensive phone.

Right now I have had a LG -L38C for the past 3 years. I just went to Wal-Mart to buy a better one which Ill explain why in a bit. I wrote down the list of all the phones that Wal-Mart carries, and did as much reviews as I had time with on each phone. I narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Samsung Galaxy S4. The Wal-Mart employee said they sell a good amount of the Samsung Galaxy Core Primes. And I asked about the Galaxy's, and he said he has had used all of them. He said the difference in the 3 and 4 is the camera and the processor. So after taking a hour of looking online in Wal-Mart I decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy S4. When I asked the worker to get me one, she looked and said they are out but should be getting some in soon. So I bought the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have 14 days I can return it to exchange it for either the S4 or something else.
My issue is the usable memory I'm looking for sense my cell I'm using now pretty much has nothing. Which Galaxy would be better to get between the S3 and the S4 thru Straight Talk? And why?

Just to explain real quick about the LG_L38C that I've been using for the past 3 years. I can only put on like 2 apps and I cant keep the Google Play Service installed or else it takes up all my memory. I came across this problem last week or so. Where I did a Factory Data Reset which I've done many in the past. And at the beginning of the setup process where it has you put in your Gmail address and password, it then says its a incorrect name or password. So I tried logging in on my laptop with the same email address and password and it works. So I made a new Gmail account to try using on setting up this phone and it worked with the new one I made up. I even talked to Straight Talk and they say my account is setup with the Gmail account that all of a sudden didn't work on my cell during the factory reset. So I hope when I go to setting up the Galaxy S3 I bought today that using my original email address and password will work. I have also tried changing the password and tried with no luck. Even waited 4 days without trying that email account and still wont work. I just hope its a hardware glitch. Or else I'm going to have to use the new Gmail account I made up and read about on how to transfer all my emails to this new one..

Any advise on if I should keep the Galaxy S3 or go with the S4 when Wal-Mart gets more in would be great. I'm just looking for a phone that will work for more then a few years if possible if I'm going to spend between $120.00 to $250.00 on buying one. Also if anyone ever had the problem I had with using my original Gmail during the factory reset and was able to find a fix for it I would love to know.

Thanks everyone,Rob

Hi Rob. I've had my S3 for 2 years, 7 months and I've pretty much hammered it. It's only just developed a problem now (hence why I'm on here, looking for an answer). It's been pretty good in that time, but from trying to troubleshoot my issue, I've noticed that there are a few common problems (screen flickering etc) but occasional glitches could be true of most phones. Not being in the repair industry, I'm not best placed to give advice on which is the most reliable phone of all.

That said, if I were you I would definitely go for the newer S4. If only for the simple reason that I suspect there are many more people still currently using it than the S3, so you will have more active users able to help if you do run into issues.

Add to that the fact that you are probably going to have fewer issues running newer apps on a newer handset and it'd be a no-brainer for me.

Whatever you do, I recommend getting a microSD to back up your files. I removed mine from my phone and put it in my tablet - now my phone has crashed and I have important files on my internal handest memory that I can't reach. World of hurt, man!

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I decided after buying the S3 last night that I'm going to wait for Wal-Mart to get there next shipment in of the S4. And the problem I had with my Gmail account I was able to fix it last night. I will have to buy a new SD Card for the new phone. Im only using a 16 GB in my cell im using still right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones