• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help UN- Rooting

michaelearth

Nov 5, 2009
Heres my situation:

I need to send my Rooted Droid back to Verizon. So I tried to unroot using the RSD Lite method and to say the least, I had some problems. Well after several situations where I thought that had bricked my phone, I saved it.

Now, using a nandroid backup that I made in January I am back on 2.1, but im not sure if its rooted or not. When I look at my phone settings the build number is : ERD79. I cant overclock at all, and I dont have a superuser app or anything. But I can still access my recovery mode.

I guess my questions/ problem is: How can I get to complete Stock 2.1 phone for someone that is not very smart when it comes to rooting?

Thanks

Do you have ROM Manager? If so, simply: Download ROM -> Stock Images -> Verizon 2.0.1 -> Stock (not rooted). I believe that unroots you, but it used to simply have an unrooted ROM there, so I'm not entirely sure. I'd also copy everything from your SD card to a PC so you can copy it back to your new Droid. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Do you have ROM Manager? If so, simply: Download ROM -> Stock Images -> Verizon 2.0.1 -> Stock (not rooted). I believe that unroots you, but it used to simply have an unrooted ROM there, so I'm not entirely sure. I'd also copy everything from your SD card to a PC so you can copy it back to your new Droid. Good luck.

Rom manager will not let me do that. When I tried to do that, it said "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"

Upvote 0
It's not just about removing root from your phone, but also getting back to the stock recovery. If Verizon sees that you have SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery they'll know you rooted and your warranty will be voided.

I'm not sure that using ROM Manager to get back to stock will also revert back to stock recovery. The only way I know is to flash the 2.0.1 SBF using RSD Lite. I just did it about a month ago on my wife's phone and it worked great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones