• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with expanding memory

mpqueen5505

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Hi,

I just got my new LG G Stylo with cricket. The phone comes with 8GB of internal memory and a slot for up to 32 GB (memory card). I added the memory card (32 GB), but the phone does not have a feature to change the default memory to the memory card. With the pre-packaged applications that phone comes with as new and a few applications that I added, I am running out of internal memory already. I have not added any pictures or music to the phone yet. LG told me that I have to transfer the applications manually so I did all the ones that I could. Some applications did not give me the option to change to memory card. I also tried to clear the cache and data on some applications but many would not give me that option either. Anyway, I am still getting the message about "not enough space on internal storage". Any suggestions besides returning the phone? Any assistance will be greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Hi,

I just got my new LG G Stylo with cricket. The phone comes with 8GB of internal memory and a slot for up to 32 GB (memory card). I added the memory card (32 GB), but the phone does not have a feature to change the default memory to the memory card. With the pre-packaged applications that phone comes with as new and a few applications that I added, I am running out of internal memory already. I have not added any pictures or music to the phone yet. LG told me that I have to transfer the applications manually so I did all the ones that I could. Some applications did not give me the option to change to memory card. I also tried to clear the cache and data on some applications but many would not give me that option either. Anyway, I am still getting the message about "not enough space on internal storage". Any suggestions besides returning the phone? Any assistance will be greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sdcard for the Stylo is up to 128gb not 32gb...

Take a look and check " Link2SD " on playstore that app will install any new app on sdcard automatically. You just need to create a 2nd partition on your SDCard as ext4.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2475274

Instead of ext3 use ext4

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had the same problem and there is a simple fix that nobody seems to be aware of. I just got The info from my Cricket rep 2 weeks ago and wanted to make sure it worked before posting here. It does. The problem is with LG's latest software update. To fix: - backup phone - perform factory reset - when going through the setup screen DO NOT AGREE TO SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR LG. You will be allowed to proceed without clicking AGREE - enjoy your properly working phone! It's been working flawlessly for me for two weeks now and I even have more apps installed than I did before. Good luck!

Upvote 0
On my G Stylo (VM), I simply check Settings > Apps > On SD Card.

After a bunch of apps install from Google Play, I check that out to see if any apps can be moved. This method only moves the dex and lib files; the apk files and data remain in internal storage. It does help keep some space free internally, but not as much as being rooted and using app linkers like Link2SD. For now, I'm running unrooted as I actually like the way the phone functions out of the box. The G Stylo is on Lollipop 5.1.1, ZV5. The only thing I'm missing is having Titanium loaded to back up every app on the phone. MyBackup Pro (without root) would work if you want to save some apps, along with text messages and a few other items. It also has Google Cloud backup support.

Edit: factory reset my phone a few days ago. No more app linking for me, only move to SD. This forced me to do away with too many apps, but phone runs better. That means no more facebook app, but that's a great thing. That thing (as with most social media apps) triggers too many wakelocks, which can contribute to overheating and even screen flickering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbeezz
Upvote 0
I had the same problem and there is a simple fix that nobody seems to be aware of. I just got The info from my Cricket rep 2 weeks ago and wanted to make sure it worked before posting here. It does. The problem is with LG's latest software update. To fix: - backup phone - perform factory reset - when going through the setup screen DO NOT AGREE TO SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR LG. You will be allowed to proceed without clicking AGREE - enjoy your properly working phone! It's been working flawlessly for me for two weeks now and I even have more apps installed than I did before. Good luck!

I took up you advice and when it came down to the SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT, I HAD TO AGREE to the conditions in order to move foreward with the installment. How did you skip this part of the reset

Reactions: daffyducknj
Upvote 0
I took up you advice and when it came down to the SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT, I HAD TO AGREE to the conditions in order to move foreward with the installment. How did you skip this part of the reset
Hi,

You can install an sd card like a 32gb on the phone. From there you can do a little tweaking to get a few GBs off the SD card to internal memory, and whats left to external memory.

Example:
32GB sd card, 25GB goes for internal and 7gb for external, now the 25GBs DOES COMBINE WITH THE INTERNAL PHONE MEMORY. So you would have about ~28GB of internal memory considering you gave the 8gb model.. Now does ot work? YES, large files you download off the app store like games will download now!

The best part, NO root required, and even the phones system data, at least part of it moves to the sd card making even more room on the originals phone s internal memory!

Upvote 0
I have the metro vatiant running tmo 6.0

Does link2sd work better than adoptable storage in the sense that we can remove the sd card and use the phone without and and all that would happen is the apps installed to the sd card would be missing while the sd isnt inserted?

Or what?

I know with adoptable storage if you adopt the sd card as internal and you remove it the phone will crash and you'll have to factory reset..

I ask because if my sd card fails for whatever reason it would be more conveinent to just reinstall apps the i lost versus having to factory reset and start from scratch.

If anyone knows for certain please let me know

Upvote 0
I have the metro vatiant running tmo 6.0

Does link2sd work better than adoptable storage in the sense that we can remove the sd card and use the phone without and and all that would happen is the apps installed to the sd card would be missing while the sd isnt inserted?

Or what?

I know with adoptable storage if you adopt the sd card as internal and you remove it the phone will crash and you'll have to factory reset..

I ask because if my sd card fails for whatever reason it would be more conveinent to just reinstall apps the i lost versus having to factory reset and start from scratch.

If anyone knows for certain please let me know

I would use Vicky Bonick's Apps2SD for app linking in rooted phones now. Link2SD hasn't been updated since last July, 2015. Definitely choose portable storage if you want to app link with the 2nd ext4 partition in the External SD. I don't think app linking will work with Adoptable, just choose Portable to be safe. Backup with nandroid, and something like Titanium Backup.

Apps2SD Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.co.pricealert.apps2sd (I use the paid Pro version, try this first.)

Upvote 0
You can install an sd card like a 32gb on the phone. From there you can do a little tweaking to get a few GBs off the SD card to internal memory, and whats left to external memory.

Example:
32GB sd card, 25GB goes for internal and 7gb for external, now the 25GBs DOES COMBINE WITH THE INTERNAL PHONE MEMORY. So you would have about ~28GB of internal memory considering you gave the 8gb model.. Now does ot work? YES, large files you download off the app store like games will download now!

The best part, NO root required, and even the phones system data, at least part of it moves to the sd card making even more room on the originals phone s internal memory!
I have a 32 gig SD card, but how do I get the gigs off the SD card to internal?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones