• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new dinc! screen sleeps and forces password?

no, it doesn't matter what im doing, if i let the screen time out( i have it set to 2 minutes because of this) when i come back to it, its automatically locked and i have to re enter my password, everytime i sit down my phone. I think it should lock whenever i HIT the lock button, like my blackberry did. Anyway to get it to work that way? Only lock when i hit the button on top? Im always coming back to e-mails and texts that im not done working on and the screen kills my battery if i set it higher.

Upvote 0
Are you connected to a corporate exchange server for email using the native email app? If so, it's probably the result of your server's security requirements. I moved to using Touchdown because the locking of the entire phone was hugely annoying.

no, it doesn't matter what im doing, if i let the screen time out( i have it set to 2 minutes because of this) when i come back to it, its automatically locked and i have to re enter my password, everytime i sit down my phone. I think it should lock whenever i HIT the lock button, like my blackberry did. Anyway to get it to work that way? Only lock when i hit the button on top? Im always coming back to e-mails and texts that im not done working on and the screen kills my battery if i set it higher.

You don't have to be currently connected ONLINE with a corporate exchange server for this to occur. I would agree with batwings that this is likely the cause.

Try "lockpicker" from the market and see if that helps you out or not.

Upvote 0
No, nothing you can do. When the phone sleeps it locks (if you have lock enabled). The only thing you can do is change the time out duration. Even if you remove your password pattern, the screen will still sleep after the time out duration. It only takes a second to enter your pattern. It doesn't really bother me; I prefer the security.

Upvote 0
Autolock (available at the Market) will allow you to set a lock time independently of the sleep time. Doesn't quite do what you want because it makes no difference whether you force the sleep mode by pushing the button or it happens by itself, but it might help. I have a screen timeout of 1 minute on mine and it locks at 15 minutes, which really cuts down the annoyance factor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones