• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New EVO #4 Just Arrived From Sprint Today

Christ... I have hardware version 002, got it on launch day. I've dropped it, banged it, sat on it, stepped on it and it's FLAWLESS.

No light leakage, screen works no matter how or where I touch it regardless if it's in my hand on on the desk/table or bed.

If I had gotten one and I was on my 3rd or 4th, I'd probably be thinking about a different brand of phone by now lol. :eek:

Upvote 0
I called and talked to them about WiFi reception problems and light leakage. They opened a ticket and said they would get back to me. When they did not call me back I called and spoke to a supervisor. Two more calles and they agreed to replace it. Had to call a couple more times till they came up with one.
As they say"the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Upvote 0
I called and talked to them about WiFi reception problems and light leakage. They opened a ticket and said they would get back to me. When they did not call me back I called and spoke to a supervisor. Two more calles and they agreed to replace it. Had to call a couple more times till they came up with one.
As they say"the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Upvote 0
I have 2 evos. Replaced my wifes for light leakage. Build date was 5/12/10. Now the new one came and I noticed the white text wasnt as vibrant as mine... I just checked the build date and its 4/9/2010... did they change something since then? Now I guess I got an older one... ugh!!!!

I also had no problems with my evo and noticed last night that I have several dead pixels... so I called and got a replacement coming within the 30days... I love this phone, but I dont want an older build date... what the heck? Would you do anything with the older build date? Or just live with it? Its working fine, I just noticed that the screen wasnt as vibrant and I did this by going to the main settings page and compared both phones side by side.

Found a way to find your screen model from another post:
You can find out what screen you have by downloading android terminal emulator. Once open type "dmesg" and hit enter. Once its done, scroll up and look for <7> line with mddi. It's should say something like MIDI_nova or espon , its ether MIDI or mddi
(Its a pain to search thru all the text, so i did a 'copy all' and then pasted in a new email to myself so I could do a search with my mail client on my laptop.)

Also - both screens were Epson! LOL And sitting side by side they look totally different... I dont get it.

Reactions: hawt
Upvote 0
how do you check screen type?

Posted above:

You can find out what screen you have by downloading android terminal emulator. Once open type "dmesg" and hit enter. Once its done, scroll up and look for <7> line with mddi. It's should say something like MIDI_nova or espon.
(Its a pain to search thru all the text, so i did a 'copy all' and then pasted in a new email to myself and sent it.... this way I could do a search with my mail client on my laptop to find the mddi info.)

Upvote 0
Yea.... I went through 6 Moment's before I said **** it and got a Hero before this. I only had that one Hero, and it was perfect. Still is, which is why it's my Mom's now. My Evo however.... reminiscent of the Moment in terms of build quality. Total and absolute crap. parts aren't flush, screens come off, speakers crap out, there's 2 different displays and different hardware versions floating around, there's also 2 different battery types making their rounds, and they all have the hindered graphics performance.

Overall, I'd say HTC is ****ing us with being cheap on their manufacturing process. I know those under-aged Chinese workers ya'll got sure are expensive at $.75/hr, but at least do some QC; duct tape and hot glue only goes so far, and it's not far enough for this.

Upvote 0
Yea.... I went through 6 Moment's before I said **** it and got a Hero before this. I only had that one Hero, and it was perfect. Still is, which is why it's my Mom's now. My Evo however.... reminiscent of the Moment in terms of build quality. Total and absolute crap. parts aren't flush, screens come off, speakers crap out, there's 2 different displays and different hardware versions floating around, there's also 2 different battery types making their rounds, and they all have the hindered graphics performance.

Overall, I'd say HTC is ****ing us with being cheap on their manufacturing process. I know those under-aged Chinese workers ya'll got sure are expensive at $.75/hr, but at least do some QC; duct tape and hot glue only goes so far, and it's not far enough for this.

Wow. Calm Down! Jaja. Well At Least It Works.

So How Do You Get A Replacement?

Upvote 0

Go to Walmart and pickup a nice 8 pack of Ivory bar soap. Take it into your bathroom, lock the door, and do not post here until you eat every last bar!

Upvote 0
Yes. They're called refurbished phones. Someone returns a phone due to whatever problem. HTC reflashes the software, cleans up the outside case to look new, then ships it back to the USA to be given to someone as a refurb.

Ummm wow you're wrong. :D
You can't sell a phone as new if it's a refurb "unless you're RadioShack".

Anyway if you're under your 30 days for a new purchase no way you get a refurb phone. After that under warranty then yes, you're correct.

Upvote 0
You guys do realize that when you return your phone for a replacement, chances are you're getting somebody else's Evo that was already returned for whatever reason.

Went to a local sprint store today. Rep said they are no refurbished ones as of yet since they are making a lot more evos due to high demand. She said to call or stop by the store tomorrow to see if they received a new shipment of the evos and they will be happy to replace a new evo in exchange for my defective one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones