• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Galaxy 7

HotRoderX

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2012
Hi I am new to the forums just went today to pick up my first true Android tablet. I have had a Kindle Fire for about a month in half and love it. I am only replacing it because of the limitations of the stock OS (I am not comfortable rooting one yet). I was looking at two different Tablets the Nexus 7 and Galaxy 7.

The local staples had 1 Nexus 7 left in stock got down there checked out the display and ended up getting the Galaxy 7 because it feels a lot more solid in the hand. The expandable storage was also a selling point.

I was just wondering whats peoples takes on both tablets so far?

Any advice for a new Galaxy owner anything I need to do other then run updates on it.

I've had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and now an N7. The N7 is amazing for the price and having stock Android is great. It's very solidly built and watching those Square Trade videos just confirms that.
My biggest concern with the Galaxy 7 is the TouchWiz interface and how it will impact upgrades.
If storage space on the N7 is a huge concern, I understand but it's not a problem for me.

Upvote 0
I agree I liked the fact the N7 is a stock android interface was extremely nice. The major turn off for me was how the N7 felt when holding it. The plastic on the N7 felt kinda cheap and not well made. There was also the fact that there was not expandable memory capability on the N7.

I am not putting down the N7 its amazing for what it cost who knows I might pick one up down the road. I got a friend who loves buying new toys in then selling them 3 or 4 months later when something new comes out.

Upvote 0
HotRoderX, welcome to the forums by the way (didn't see it in my first post).
I'd love to link you to the Galaxy 7 forum if you haven't seen it yet, but we have 3!
Which one do you have?
As to the build quality, this was the video I was talking about:
SquareTrade's Face-off: Nexus 7 vs. iPad - YouTube
Granted, it's a short test and pretty inconclusive, but goes to show the N7 can hold its own durability wise. Expandable storage is something I can totally understand. It's not a problem for me, but I know it is a complete turn off for many. There have been many folks who have problems with the screen lifting up. There is a small tutorial to fix it yourself, and Asus will also take it back and fix it.
All and all, it's a great device for $200 and I love it. :)

Upvote 0
Dread, I've got the 8.9 which is a fantastic piece of hardware, but like you say, upgrades with TW are slow. We've been waiting forever for ICS from Samsung and it looks like next month. That's one of the main factors keeping me from jumping into the SG27 when I can wait a couple weeks tops to get a GN7.

Some pluses and minuses:

Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 7.0
+ Edge/3G capability
+ MicroSDHC slot!!!!
+ 3.15 MP rear-facing camera; 720p@30fps video

- 600 x 1024 pixels (~170 ppi pixel density)
- Likely slow upgrade to Jelly Bean; possibly none.

Google Nexus 7
+ 800 x 1280 pixels (~216 ppi pixel density)
+ Corning Gorilla Glass
+ 1.2 MP forward facing camera; 720p video for video calling
+ Preloaded with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and will receive immediate updates
+ nVidia Tegra 3; Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A9; ULP GeForce

- No expandable memory; existing 8-16GB partially consumed by ROM
- No Edge/3G capability – a huge downer for me

Upvote 0
I have read that Adobe has stopped supporting flash in tablets as of Android 4.1. Wouldn't that kinda hinder its ability to be used on the web? I know that ICS was a very minor tipping point for me because I wanted flash support.

I am still pretty new to all this so there is a chance there is a app or add-on I don't know about that works around that limitation. I know with the Kindle Fire there is a lot of working around the limitations of the software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones