• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new google maps make offline?

Zoom until you have the area you want on screen, then type "ok maps" in the search area - I know that's stupid, but I'm not making this up! If it's not too large an area it will then download it.

Don't think live turn by turn navigation will work without data anyway, but you'll have a street plan you can use without data.

(This "ok X" thing seems to be a fad in Google ATM - "ok glass", "ok maps", "ok Google now"...)

Upvote 0
I tap on Maps' search bar and scroll down the opened menu to "Make this map area available offline" ... :)

But seaching of locations in Madrid you can't with Maps without a data connection ... and no navigation as Hadron said already.
Have a look at 'Maps With Me'. Its offline map of Spain would take 250MB on your SD card, but you'd get offline a search hit quality near of Maps'. Usability and speed is on the best ... but no navigation.

Offline navigation and offline search has OsmAnd ... but its usability is not the best ;)

Harry

Upvote 0
if the 3g wouldnt cost so much it would be fine but as usual we get rinsed, also im on the new maps/nav so the make avalable offline option is no longer there.., ill try the ok route tho..

Even with these offline maps of the old Maps version: For searching of locations and calculating a navigation route you'd need a data connection.

Harry

Upvote 0
Which version of Maps are you using? That Easter Egg ("OK maps") is the workaround for Maps 7, which hides the "make available offline" feature - I assumed this was the problem.

If it's Maps 6 you have, just pull up the menu (the 3 vertical dot icon on mine) and select "Make available offline". That then lets you select the area - frankly it does a better job of it than Maps 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones