• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Hero here, couple ?s

JonB

Jan 13, 2010
My girlfriend and I just picked up 2 new Heros yesterday. I love it! She's all stressed out about learning a new gadget, but she's getting better. Now i have a couple quick questions:

My back and home buttons squeak like crazy. I can't feel any "click" like on my girlfriends phone. This normal? Her phone don't squeak at all.

Secondly, when downloading apps, it doesn't always start right away. It'll be stuck on "starting download" for a while. I'll cancel the DL and restart it. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not. If i restart the phone, it usually starts downloading right off. My girlfriends did this the first time i went to download apps too.

Seeing that i just bought them yesterday, along with the sprint insurance, should i bring mine back and try to get a new one?

PS-This is my first "smart phone." I'm coming from a 4 year old sanyo flippy thing that had 0 issues in 4 years. So it's a little disappointing to be having these little problems right now. But other than those 2 issues, i absolutely love the phone!

Back/Home buttons shouldn't squeak at all and you should be able to feel the detent (the click) when you press them. Sounds like BOTH phones have issues on these buttons, as you describe them.

Downloading apps can be a problem if you're in a spotty coverage area. Also, I sometimes have issues if I leave WIFI turned on and roam too far away from my WIFI network.

Based upon the button issues alone, I'd hit the Sprint counter. Good luck. :)

Upvote 0
I just got back from the sprint store. When i first walked in and told the girl about my problem, she just gave me this weird look. She messed with the phone and said it felt fine. Even after comparing it to the store demo, she said it still felt fine. I disagreed. She told me to go to the other sprint store in the mall since they are a repair center and get their opinion and let her know what they though.

The kid at the repair center was great, he immediately noticed the squeaky button and told me to go back and have them order a replacement phone for me. He also answered a few more questions i had too.

Now i have one more question. About 75% of the time when i send a text, it drops EV and goes to 1x. Most of the time it'll go right back to EV, but not always. If i turn off the network and turn it back on, it'll go right to EV. It also seem to switch to 1x randomly just sitting in my living room where i have always gotten great service. The phone shows 5 bars always. This a normal thing. Even my crappy old sanyo never left EVDO.

Upvote 0
Had bigger problems than I thought. I noticed this evening that I wasn't getting any phone calls so I brought it in to a service center. Took them 2.5 hours on the phone with sprint to get my phone to receive calls and texts. Ended up wiping the phone and restarting from scratch. Now it works great. Just in time to get a new one next week.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones