• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New INCREDIBLE User - RadioRich

i was under the impression that apps could not be downloaded onto the onboard memory at the moment. i guess it's only for some apps? either way it's great to know that it does work.

Android apps have to be downloaded and stored on the internal memory, there is no way to store the apps on sd or external sources unless you root and use a rom that supports apps2sd which is a whole nother ball of wax. The only issues people are having is when using apps that write data to the sd card, if you don't have an sd card installed. If you do then there are no issues what-so-ever. Google or HTC will address the issue with apps trying to write to sd instead of internally but all phones until now have had sd memory cards for just this purpose. The incredible is the first android phone (that i know of) that has alot of internal storage space (8gb) all others are 512mb or less. Don't worry about it, just grab an sd memory card if you don't get one in the box of your phone and you won't notice any problems at all, everything will just work the way its suppose to.

Upvote 0
BTW: Is there a way to turn OFF the 3G modem & only operate it as an MP3 player, or just use WiFi for Internet browsing?

Did I mention that the Incredible is Incredible? FAST & SUPER DISPLAY !!
No problems for me, yet

-RadioRich
Isnt there an option if you hold down the power button, that refers to the signal connectivity? And from that point, you can just turn off that connectivity, thus turning off data/3g, and making it only able to make and receive phonecalls.

Dust under the screen? Where did you see anyone post about there being a problem with dust under the screen? I'm pretty sure they are sealed and it would be nearly impossible to get dust in between the screen surfaces.
It was a Nexus One problem, so I'm assuming that poster probably just figured it may be a problem with the Incredible. So far, it doesnt seem the Incredible has this issue.

Reactions: fastharryDOTcom
Upvote 0
Dust under the screen? Where did you see anyone post about there being a problem with dust under the screen? I'm pretty sure they are sealed and it would be nearly impossible to get dust in between the screen surfaces.

I didn't see anything..yet. But every great phone has issues with dust it seems, so why not this one. Here's hoping they have sealed the screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.
I think I'll drop into my friendly VZW store on 4/29 and ask for the 2GB 'free' card!

The apps I've already loaded don't need the SD card, but I think downloading MP3s will require it.

-RadioRich
I think you got it backwards. Any music, pictures, videos, etc. (basically media type things) can be stored on the 8GB internal. The microSD card is for apps that pull and store data, but are unable to access that internal memory due to coding restrictions, thus have to use the microSD card. Obviously if you fill up the internal memory, THEN, yes the microSD card will then double as storage for media.

Upvote 0
oh man, I am sooo jealous... Just want mine to arrive, so excited. This is my first smartphone (I'm graduating from college and got a really nice fellowship for grad school so this is my treat to myself) and I'm used to having bricks because it's all I can afford. Glad to hear you are having a great experience with it...just makes it that much more exciting.

Upvote 0
Only 2 more days until general availability.
Thanks for the feedback on using internal memory & the 'not-included' Micro-SD card.

RE-DIALING USING BT
Last night I confirmed with my Incredible and Garmin Nuvi:

1. I can initiate & terminate calls using my Garmin interface
2. I can initiate & terminate calls using my Incredible interface.

I hope that puts folks minds at ease.

RE-TETHERING
Included in the Verizon info packs is a card which explains how to tether the Incredible. It involves downloading a program from VZW at:
VZAccess Manager Download: VZ Access Manager Software
There is an advisory that you will need to have a Subscription to Mobile Broadband Connect, which of course you'll have with the Incredible.

-RadioRich

Upvote 0
Only 2 more days until general availability.
Thanks for the feedback on using internal memory & the 'not-included' Micro-SD card.

RE-DIALING USING BT
Last night I confirmed with my Incredible and Garmin Nuvi:

1. I can initiate & terminate calls using my Garmin interface
2. I can initiate & terminate calls using my Incredible interface.

I hope that puts folks minds at ease.

RE-TETHERING
Included in the Verizon info packs is a card which explains how to tether the Incredible. It involves downloading a program from VZW at:
VZAccess Manager Download: VZ Access Manager Software
There is an advisory that you will need to have a Subscription to Mobile Broadband Connect, which of course you'll have with the Incredible.

-RadioRich

Mobile Broadband Connect is an additional $15 dollar charge on top of your $29.99 data package.

Upvote 0
Folks,
I just visited my local VZW store in Framingham MA.
They have 40 HTC Incredibles ready for you Boston guys.

Unlike last week, when I got my INCR provisioned on Wednesday, when they had NO accessories, tonight I was able to get:

1. Display Protector 3-Pack VZW63003PKSP ($12.99)
2. Silicon Cover Black VZW6300SILHGBK ($16.99)
They had 7 choices of covers! (I was surprised they had so many)
3. Vehicle Charger, Generic Micro-USB ($29.99)
4. And Most Importantly: My MISSING 2GB Micro-SD card ($0.00)
Actually, I 'upgraded' to 4GB for an extra $10.00
They said all the new INCRs will HAVE a 2GB card

Also, I didn't pay this much, as everything was discounted.
This week, 4 guys in my office have sworn off their iPhones after playing with my Incredible. AND, 2 more in the VZW store tonight!

Did I mention that the phone is FAST?

-RadioRich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones