• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New kid in town (clueless over here)

Babby

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
Hello all. Just registered & wanted to say hi. About 3 weeks ago I got my first ever android device & I am struggling big time trying to understand what I presume are very basic functions! Prior to this I was using an iPhone in addition to a half dozen other iDevices/Apple products. Yes....I'm one of those people. Over the years became accustomed to hundreds of apps from App Store & became foolishly dependent on these devices for EVERYTHING. I recently got a wild hair & decided to give Android a go. Everything I've heard from others or seen online indicates that I will love the increased freedom allowed by Android & the Google Play Store....but the only problem is - I am clueless how to work this phone! It is sooooo different...all the way down to the system terminology. I'm lost! Until recently I fancied myself as a pretty "gadget savvy" lady...but this has been a humbling experience to say the least.

Because I want my Android to do A LOT of things, I have a list of questions that grows longer each day. I would pay good money for some sort of comprehensive guide/tip/how-to book as I believe I would benefit tremendously from exposure to a detailed frame of reference...but I've only been able to educate myself through an a'la cart method of googling question by question...only to find that I don't comprehend the answers because I lack familiarity of terms! My head is starting to spin! For example....why are there 30 freakin processes running in the background that I never opened in the first place!?! Grrrr :mad: And everybody says "get a task killer." Get a what!?! Why?!? I seek to understand the situation further! (I hope my silliness is coming across as intended;) )

Anyway, I decided I would register as a member here & take advantage of the plethora of knowledge I'm sure to find. As a side note...I've never actually been a member of a forum before...so it's a year of firsts! I took care to read all the rules & guidelines so as not to be that new clueless weirdo on the forum (if it's not already too late for that!) I am looking forward to the discussions & to embracing all that my new Android has to offer.

Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself :)

Hey there and welcome to Android Forums. :)

Glad to have ya here!

Well for the background tasks, it's needed tasks for the android OS to run properly.

On to the task killer subject that i must laugh about lol, a task killer (app that auto closes all apps/running processes), it's entirely un-necessary. When the android OS senses that the system is running out of memory, the system automatically closes out the least most needed app clearing up memory on its on.

What other questions do you have? We'd love to be able to help you out :)

(we've got the same device as well so I'd love to help you with device questions further as well :p)

DS

Reactions: Babby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones