• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Kyocera phone coming

If its the same phone as the icon its ok. It runs a slightly skinned version of jelly bean 4.3. Performance is decent with a gig and a half of ram and the snapdragon 400. I still think the g feels snappier even with less ram. Im not a fan of kyrocera's skin even if it is minimal it just looks cheap to me. Build quality is decent but even at 8mp the camera on the icon is awful. Ive gotten spoiled with my s5 and note 3's cameras so im sure im being a little picky but its not a high quality shooter at all. Again the g took better pics to me. If it sells for 125 bucks id say its deff worth that though. Should also mention the icon has 8gb of storage built in with about 5 usable. So that would be a positive and an improvement over the lg offerings.

Upvote 0
Just a transcript of a chat with Kyocera

Suni R: Thank you for contacting Kyocera technical support. How may I help you today?
You: Hi there, I had a question about the Hydro Life
Suni R: Sure!
Suni R: Let me assist you with your question.
Suni R: Is this the first time that you are contacting us?
You: On the spec sheet of the phone it claims it runs on 4.3 Jellybean but on the main page it claims that it runs 4.4 KitKat so what gives?
You: Yes it’s the first time
Suni R: For documentation purposes, may I please have your full name and your phone number first?
You: Blank
Suni R: Thank you!
Suni R: Yes the phone has started with the Jellybean version but it has already been upgraded to KitKat.
Suni R: So if you purchase it now it will be KitKat.
Suni R: If you already have it and your phone is using Jellybean then you can contact T-Mobile to upgrade it.
You: Okay, and also is this phone still going to come to MetroPCS?
Suni R: I am sorry but we do not have the Hydro Life with Metro PCS. This model is exclusively for T-Mobile.
You: Oh well, i have read that the phone would be coming to MetroPCS on the 29th of this month
Suni R: I see. Well, we have the Hydro ICON that is similar to Hydro Life,
You: Well, no that’s not the phone I’m talking about
You: (Sent the person a link)
Suni R: Yes.
Suni R: You are right.
Suni R: We do not have the Hydro Life with Metro PCS.
You: You don't have it with them right now or never?
Suni R: At this moment we do not have plans of extending this model to Metro PCS.
Suni R: This model is only for T-Mobile.
You: So you’re telling me that all the news that I've seen about this phone coming to MetroPCS is a lie?
You: even if I quote this to you?
You: "The ideal smartphone for both active consumers and workers on the job, Hydro Life is available for T-Mobile customers at Wal-Mart starting August 8 for just $124.99 (+taxes & fees) with qualifying service. MetroPCS will also launch the Hydro Life on August 29."
Suni R: Yes, I saw this link.
Suni R: Thank you very much for advising us.
Suni R: We will take this to the correct department so we can have it fixed.
Suni R: Please notice that this is not a website created by Kyocera so we can't be sure about this information.
Suni R: I will make send an email to the proper department to have more information.
You: Well, see its not only on this website alone there are many websites with the same info
Suni R: Since we do not have the in our system or in our original website.
Suni R: I understand that Mr. H.
Suni R: You are definitely right.
Suni R: I will inform my superiors about this so we can have accurate information.
Suni R: As for the correct answer until now that we have from Corporate Office is that this model is only avalable for T-Mobile.
You: Okay so from your understanding is that there could be another model coming out with MetroPCS on that date then?
Suni R: If they decide on extending the model to other carriers, you will see the proper adverticement in our original website.
Suni R: Could be, yes, since they are working on several projects.
Suni R: I created a reference number for this chat session. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us back. It is.
Suni R: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
You: Okay, thanks for your time
You: Nope have a nice day
Suni R: Thank you for contacting Kyocera, if there is anything else we can assist you with; please feel free to contact us again. Have a nice day!
I hope they have a model for MetroPCS because this seems like a sweet phone to have!

Upvote 0
Yeah it would be a great upgrade for my Premia, Plus it runs KitKat
Just got mine today at metro for $49, ended up paying $77. It's on 4.3.

Seems pretty sweet so far. Hd display, lots of memory, quad core, waterproof. Not top of the line by any means in any aspect but its snappy and looks nice. Haven't been able to root it yet but i dont know if its impossible (im not a developer). Towelroot and root genius didnt work.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Just got mine today at metro for $49, ended up paying $77. It's on 4.3.

Seems pretty sweet so far. Hd display, lots of memory, quad core, waterproof. Not top of the line by any means in any aspect but its snappy and looks nice. Haven't been able to root it yet but i dont know if its impossible (im not a developer). Towelroot and root genius didnt work.

I was going to get it but I did a lot of thinking and I'm no longer with MetroPCS. Went to T-Mobile and got the LG L90. Good to hear that is a good phone though

Upvote 0
Is there a reason you switched to a different company but the same service?
Sure we pay more, but their are some perks, like jump and financing. Better customer service. On metro I hated going the corporate stores, and over the phone reps were pretty lackluster. Corporate T-Mobile stores are great. Full of people who loves their phones and the service, paired with just being outright helpful.. But I am prattling on.

Another perk, we get network priority for data. But we pretty much get the same for more unless you bring like five lines with your own phones then same for less money.

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
Sure we pay more, but their are some perks, like jump and financing. Better customer service. On metro I hated going the corporate stores, and over the phone reps were pretty lackluster. Corporate T-Mobile stores are great. Full of people who loves their phones and the service, paired with just being outright helpful.. But I am prattling on.

Another perk, we get network priority for data. But we pretty much get the same for more unless you bring like five lines with your own phones then same for less money.

I wasn't aware of the network priority, thanks for the information. When it comes to customer service, I rarely have to utilize it. If I did though, I would consistently get more aggravated at Metro. They are very hit or miss in that department.

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware of the network priority, thanks for the information. When it comes to customer service, I rarely have to utilize it. If I did though, I would consistently get more aggravated at Metro. They are very hit or miss in that department.
Sometimes I would get someone who had a better grasp of how we (Americans) speak to one another... Sometimes I would get "bobby " who was very great at saying I am sorry and giving me the run around

Upvote 0
They have the option through their policy to prioritize T-Mobile branded service over metro's but there's been no account of them actually doing it.

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones