• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New MeMo owners chime in!

fisterkev

Jul 11, 2012
TX
So I just got my MeMo Pad HD 7 the other day, and here is my review so far (cross posted on Amazon):

So, I've been putting off a new tablet purchase for quite awhile. I've been suffering with an Acer Iconia Tab A100 for awhile now, and while it was nice when it came out it simply doesn't cut it anymore. But I am cheap. A year ago, had someone said that I would be able to get a tablet with a quad core 1.2 GHz processor, 16GB internal storage, Cameras, GPS, and micro SD slot with a gorgeous 1280x800 IPS screen, and that it would be running Android 4.2.1 Jellybean - all for $150 - I wouldn't have believed them. I had known for awhile that at some point prices would come down enough and hardware and software would catch up, and was waiting for the right moment. It came today.

Most of the reviews I've read on this tablet have essentially said that it's a solid tablet functionally, but that its construction is weak and it feels cheap. Honestly, I don't see it. While it doesn't have the same ultra-solid feel that the high-end (expensive) tablets have, it doesn't in the least feel cheap to me at all. The back panel, while plastic, doesn't feel flimsy to me. The screen looks and feels high end to me. There's alot made about the newer resolutions like the new Nexus 7's 1920x1200 display, but my eyes can't really tell the difference in most situations. I will say that if you are planning on using this outside on a sunny day, forget about it - it's almost impossible to see the screen under direct sunlight. But indoors it is great, and it has great viewing angles as well. Some reviews complained about the button placement but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Some reviews also made a big deal about the back panel extruding slightly past the top screen panel, but I don't feel it's uncomfortable or in the least bit bad looking. The tablet is fairly light and thin, certainly not a burden to hold in one hand for extended periods.

The tab comes with Jellybean 4.2.1 and has a build update that will likely launch as soon as you power on and sign in. Engadget reports that it will get a 4.3 upgrade in the "near future". The OS is thankfully pretty vanilla, with only a few unobtrusive bloatware apps thrown in. Asus has a skin that IMHO is barely detectable; it's there if you want to use it but you can pretty much ignore it if you want to. This is a fairly lean implementation of Android and I for one appreciate that.

Performance seems to be very good so far in my limited testing. I've seen very little lag or stutter, definitely nothing that I find annoying. The screen is very responsive and looks great. The browser (Chrome, I am a Chrome user, and it pays off to be able to sync across devices) seems to run surprisingly fast. I did try a few games on it including Order and Chaos, Shadowgun, Dungeon Hunter 4, Anomaly HD, and Modern Combat 3; all played nearly flawlessly with only the occasional slight stutter, barely noticeable. I'd say this is a perfectly capable gaming tablet, even if not the highest-end, it plays everything I've thrown at it so far. I did experience some slightly long loading times with the games but that doesn't really bother me; waiting an extra 5 seconds to play a level is not a big deal to me. ETA: I just downloaded and played N.O.V.A. 3 on the tab and was surprised at how well it did. I had read that it was nearly unplayable on the MeMo, that is not true. It DID take a very long time to load the first level (a little over 2 minutes), but once loaded it played pretty well. I could notice a little stutter here and there but it's definitely playable. If it'll play that then it'll play anything I am likely to throw at it.

The camera is adequate. It's not bad, just nothing to write home about. It works, but it's not a reason to buy this tablet. Same goes with the forward facing camera - it works, but it's nothing special. If you want a great camera you should probably be looking at camera reviews, not tablet reviews.

I can confirm that the tablet does have its own standalone GPS and does not require a wireless connection to function (although Google Maps and Earth do). Turning off wifi and turning on GPS, I was unable to get a lock indoors, but at my house that has always been a problem (something in the walls or roof); as soon as I walk outside on the balcony GPS Status app tells me I've locked to 7 satellites, not bad. With an offline mapping app like Mapdroyd this will work great as a GPS unit in your vehicle.

The wifi seems to run very fast. I ran a couple of Speedtest trials on it and consistently got over 22-24 mbps speeds, which for my network is very fast, far better than my other devices.

I am finding the floating apps feature to be pretty useful. I can open up a calendar, calculator, video player, internet browser, and a few other "mini-apps" in a window with the touch of a button without exiting what I am doing. Very convenient for a quick check on something, great for multitasking.

I recently bought the Hisense Sero 7 Pro for my son for gaming, and while that is a great device for the money this one feels more solid, and more smooth in operation. Also, the extra internal storage is going to be tremendously important. I trust Asus to have better support for the MeMo Pad HD 7 than Hisense, as well. I would say that if you are really into gaming but don't need a bunch of games on your tablet at once then go with the Hisense, but for everyone else the MeMo is superior. The 8GB internal storage on the Hisense really is limiting.

I thought about going with the new Nexus 7, but two things broke it for me: 1) cost (obviously, paying less is better), and 2) the new Nexus 7 STILL doesn't have a microSD card slot. I have a large collection of music and offline movie files and don't like having to constantly load and unload stuff, so a microSD card slot is a requirement for me. I need that internal storage for apps, and I want an external card for everything else. Maybe the next Nexus 7...

I had wanted a black tablet, but the closest they have is blue. It's a very dark blue and in most light appears black. I got a black TransCover (very nice cover, BTW - makes it look and feel like a premium tablet, worth the money IMHO) for it and it looks for all intents and purposes like a black tablet now, which makes me happy.

My initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive. The more I use the tablet the more amazed I am that something at this price point can be so capable. Generally the old axiom that you get what you pay for is true, but in this case you're getting nearly everything you are going to get with a premium high-end tablet in a slightly downgraded package for ALOT less money. This one gets 5 stars from me not because it is the best tablet out there but because it is a solid tablet AND it's the best value out there in terms of capabilities versus price that you are likely to find. For the price I don't think it has any real competition.

Post your thoughts on the tab. I for one am pleasantly surprised at the quality and value. :)

My Asus Memo Pad HD 7 showed up on the porch today, one day early. Here's the review I sent to Amazon:

I've only had the Asus Memo Pad HD 7 for a few hours but so far I'm very pleased. The tablet seems very well made. I haven't noticed any creaks or cheap-looking parts. It looks elegant (I have the blue back) and feels well balanced in the hand. I like its light weight and appreciate the size of the bezel - not too large to look awkward or too small so you have nothing to hold onto. Some of the reviews I read mentioned problems with the build quality but I don't find that to be the case at all.

I really like the HD display. The colors are rich (not overly saturated but definitely not "washed out" as some reviews have stated) and the text is very sharp. Setup was a breeze. The WiFi works very well - web browsing is at least as fast as my PC. Sound quality is good for such as small device. And I am very impressed with the cameras, especially the 5 MP rear camera. Even indoor shots look good. The camera also produces sharp, colorful 1080p videos.

It will take awhile until I'm familiar with all the HD 7 has to offer but so far I haven't encountered any negatives. I can't imagine a better tablet for $149.

Upvote 0
I just picked one up (Memo Pad HD7) yesterday at Sam's Club for $129. Blue one is in stock. Other colors are online only and $20 more. May be a limited time special. By far the best price I could find for a tablet with similar specs. Haven't had it long enough to review but so far, so good...

Am looking for some accessories: case with hand hold and stand features, screen protector and car charger. Any recommendations? The OEM charger is 5.2 volts - 1.35 amps rated. Haven't been able to find one with that rating.

Upvote 0
After playing with this tablet for several days, I have found one bad flaw. :mad:

I mounted a 16gb microSDHC Class 10 card. At first the ability to move apps to the card was not available in app settings. I did all the system updates and then was able to move the apps that allowed it. After downloading all my apps, arraigning then in folders and moving those allowed to the SD card, my card unmounted itself and all my moved apps were lost. Now I was not twisting or moving the tablet to cause it to flex. Had to re-do all the work I had just spent an hour or two on. This happened on a regular basis. It would unmount and mount by itself as though the contacts were loose and any movement would interrupt the contact.

Turns out this is a known problem with this tablet. The SD car is useless. I removed it and will just live with the 16gb internal storage. Obviously not going to download a lot of music or movies though. If I had know this, I would not have purchased this tablet. Would have purchased the Nexus 7 since it doesn't even have a SD slot but is better constructed with better specs and not much more money.

Upvote 0
I got one about a month ago for $99 US and so far I love it. The camera is probably the weakest part of it, but I have a small camera and my phone camera that both would beat anything on a tablet, so there's no reason I'd be taking pictures with the tablet in any case. I've had no problems with the SDcard at all. I did have it stop connecting to my internet yesterday until I set up a static IP for it though, but I had recently made some changes to the router, so it might be some new settings on the router that the tablet doesn't like.

All in all I think it's a great tablet for the money. I got it mostly for reading PDFs, but have played some games and everything works great on it. I'm very pleased with it.

I do have the blue one and as someone else mentioned above, it's a nice dark matte finish to it that does not show finger smudges at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones