• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Note 8 user with some questions

capuman

Nov 30, 2009
Hi guys,

so i finally got my note 8 dual sim (duos)...WOW...this is by far the most complete phone ive ever had, and i've had a few!! In fact its the first time ive actually felt a little bit over whelmed by a phone!

So anyway, ive had it for 24 hours and i have a couple of questions that perhaps some of you could help me with.

1. I used it A LOT yesterday. From 8:30am until about 10pm, it had gone from 100% to about 30%. Id say i had around 4 hours screen time, couple of phone calls and a lot of playing around as you can imagine. So im impressed with the battery but i was wondering, does the stock live wallpaper consume much battery? Currently im using a Earth pro live wallpaper, battery stats show 0% battery usage from it but im wondering if the stock one is better in terms of battery consumption.
This is the wallpaper im using: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.afkettler.pro.earth

2. Im using 2 sim cards from 2 different networks at the same time, with data roaming on. But what i noticed is that my main sim (Vodafone spain) does not switch automatically to a roaming network as often as my previous phones have (Xiaomi mi6 dual sim). It seems like it will rather stay with 1 line of coverage or sometimes none at all than change over to the roaming network. It does change to the roaming network every now and then, but my previous dual sim phones would change much more often. Anyone know how to improve this? Im concerned this might cause more battery drain as well if its constantly struggling to get a strong signal with my main network as opposed to just jumping on the roaming network. (its on automatic 4G/3G/2G switching).

So far today, the phone has been off the charger for 2,5 hours. I've had 15 min phone call and about 40 min screen time and its gone from 100% to 91%. I think this is fairly normal, but im wondering if the wall paper i have and the lack of more immediate roaming is causing more drain?

Apart from that, this really is an amazing phone, and in my hand/pocket, its actually not that big compared for example to an iphone 6s plus that i had. And i have NO issues what so ever in reaching the finger print sensor, no issues with iris scan either.

Its simply amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Hi.

I dot use dual sim version here in the states so I can’t help you on that.other cats across the world will chime in.

Live wallpapers will consume battery. Period. I have one now that is an Animated “HD” wallpaper and it for sure consumes battery power.

You just got the device, so you are spending time using it , checking things out, etc. so expect the battery to deplete perhaps faster than your eventual daily use. I’m sure you have seen this on other phones you bought new. Battery life expectancy is going to very across the board because we al use our phones in different ways. I have the phone on high performance, he wallpaper, every bell and whistle running on it that i can and i get through the day plus with no sweat.

There is a battery thread if you want to smoke it over and add your thoughts..

Reactions: WeeWilly
Upvote 0
Hi.

I dot use dual sim version here in the states so I can’t help you on that.other cats across the world will chime in.

Live wallpapers will consume battery. Period. I have one now that is an Animated “HD” wallpaper and it for sure consumes battery power.

You just got the device, so you are spending time using it , checking things out, etc. so expect the battery to deplete perhaps faster than your eventual daily use. I’m sure you have seen this on other phones you bought new. Battery life expectancy is going to very across the board because we al use our phones in different ways. I have the phone on high performance, he wallpaper, every bell and whistle running on it that i can and i get through the day plus with no sweat.

There is a battery thread if you want to smoke it over and add your thoughts..

Thanks marctronixx. Totally agree with you, im sure the battery will get better, in fact today it is already better (im going to try mid battery optimization as well since i dont really mind if the cpu performance goes down a bit if it means a few extra hours since im not a mobile gamer).

My question was more around whether a wallpaper showing 0% power consumption was actually really consuming power or not and how it compared to the stock note 8 live wallpapers.

Upvote 0
Anything in RAM memory will use power because RAM needs power to be used.

Only way of knowing is to load up some and test them over a timed trial and note the battery consumption differece, if any.

The wallpaper I use on the home screen does not even show up in the battery list, yet i know full well it’s using battery.

Technically, seven if it says 0% and its running, it IS consuming SOME battery, but hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things.

Upvote 0
Its already improving loads and its day 3 :) Even the network/roaming stuff is getting better.

So, day 5 and all i can say is WOW...seriously im VERY impressed with this phone (and ive had pretty much every other phone out there in the past..).

First of all the battery... with similar usage to the first day, im going home with at least 70% battery remaining and im sure this is only going to get better over time. If i optimise the phone to mid (just leaving cpu to 70%, everything else on) it adds 3 - 4 hours more of battery if i need it and the performance is not affected at all..not even if i play a game.

Another thing im loving is that the phone seems to be learning from me...everyday it shows something new based on my usage, how active i am, reminders etc...and bixby is actually great too.

Really happy with this phone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I'm new to the Note 8 also, and also came from a 6s+. After putting them in similar cases, they are about the same size to me and I prefer the slightly narrower Note 8 in hand. I'm not using the live wallpapers, so can't comment on that. I switched to the Microsoft Launcher which dynamically changes wallpaper with selections from Bing. I have noticed similar battery use as you described. As I was busy loading apps, setting things up, etc.. the battery life wasn't as good as I'm getting now that things have settled down. I do love this phone and it can be overwhelming, but lots of great youtube videos with tips. I've had a lot more fun than the boring iPhone updates over the last few cycles and didn't want to do that again.

Upvote 0
I'm new to the Note 8 also, and also came from a 6s+. After putting them in similar cases, they are about the same size to me and I prefer the slightly narrower Note 8 in hand. I'm not using the live wallpapers, so can't comment on that. I switched to the Microsoft Launcher which dynamically changes wallpaper with selections from Bing. I have noticed similar battery use as you described. As I was busy loading apps, setting things up, etc.. the battery life wasn't as good as I'm getting now that things have settled down. I do love this phone and it can be overwhelming, but lots of great youtube videos with tips. I've had a lot more fun than the boring iPhone updates over the last few cycles and didn't want to do that again.

Im still using a live wallpaper and the battery just keeps getting better :)

UPDATE:

Quick update guys. I have removed bluetooth under location settings, removed the bixby 'window' and removed auto brightness. Huge drastic difference in battery usage! Im not getting way more battery than i used to!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones