• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone, Desire S, Galaxy S or LG O2X?

simonh94

Apr 20, 2011
Hello!

I currently own a Sony Ericsson K810i, but now I wanna buy myself a new phone. :)

Which one would you recommend? I was thinking HTC Desire S or Samsung Galaxy S. But I'm not sure at all.

I'm sorry if I put this thread in the wrong category.

Thanks in advance!:)

Thanks for the replies!

My dad have a HTC Desire HD and my brother have a HTC Desire. I have mostly played with the HD and I must say I like HTC Sense.

I don't switch phone that often, so I wanna buy a good one that isn't that expensive.

I would say it's between these phones now:
HTC Desire S
LG Optimus 2X
Samsung Galaxy S

Upvote 0
but the galaxy s is a killer of all phones...
Nope, Galaxy S is old and doesn't stand a chance against Optimus 2X.

Thanks.

I'm gonna use the phone for internet and playing small games. So which one is the most suitable for that?

I'm gonna take a closer look to these phones today at some store. What things should I look after?
For Internet and casual gaming all the phones with 3.7" and larger screen size are OK.
It is a good idea to check the phones physically before you buy them.

Reactions: simonh94
Upvote 0
Nope, Galaxy S is old and doesn't stand a chance against Optimus 2X.

For Internet and casual gaming all the phones with 3.7" and larger screen size are OK.
It is a good idea to check the phones physically before you buy them.
Galaxy S did feel a bit plastic.
O2X, did feel alright.
Desire S, didn't check it. But I guess it would feel like Desire.

Unfortunately I didn't check the UI, they only had replicas. I guess I could have ask for it, but I guess I can change the UI abit so I works like I want.

Like I said before, I don't change phone that often. So I want a future proof phone. Could LG O2X be that phone? I have heard about some SW problems with it. Damn.. this is so hard.

Upvote 0
I have a samsung galaxy s and might as well compose a small story for you, if you find it helps, with quite a lot of points I have experienced:

First some specs with pros and cons and then about the speed, rooting, warranty etc.

1. As they said the screen is AMAZING. For games it is very good. I have with great success downloaded i.e. "crazy snowboard" (free) and "wave blazer" (free lite version, full version 4$ish). Because of the screen and gyroscope these are quite fun and I am impressed by the graphics (N64 or above :p)

About the camera: Taking pictures in the dark will not yield good results, but outside I would say I am more positive than the tests that

Upvote 0
I think the positive side of O2X is that it has enough power to last long, it is easily rooted and it is relatively cheap. Something for those that don't care much about manufacturer updates...
So that is one bad thing about LG?

Hmm... Please enlighten me with "bad" things about O2X.

About watching .avi (divx and xvid), is there a app that can handle that?

How about android updates, the phone is going to get V2.3, right? How about 2.4?

Upvote 0
So that is one bad thing about LG?

Hmm... Please enlighten me with "bad" things about O2X.

About watching .avi (divx and xvid), is there a app that can handle that?

How about android updates, the phone is going to get V2.3, right? How about 2.4?
I have listed above some of the good things about O2X.
There are also some negative things, like: Captured 1080p videos have low frame rate, Audio quality is only average, Below average speaker, not so fancy and complete UI like HTC Sense (depends on taste).

Watching .avi videos (or most of other type) is a simple matter in Android phones by using one of the universal free video players (like RockPlayer).

O2X is expected to get OS v2.3 in a 1-3 months. Nobody can tell you about the next OS version (even not sure if it will be called v2.4). As far as OS updates are concerned, I'm more certain that O2X will be more future proof than SGS.

Upvote 0
Optimus X2 is the better option if you have to buy one of these three, it has best hardware of the three and software will improve over time, if your buying now you should not be considering the older single core phones like the Galaxy S and Desire S.

Not sure where your from but if you can wait a month, the Galaxy S2 should be available and you should get that. :D

Upvote 0
Well I am going to have to say stay away from the galaxy S and I own one...I also own a mytouch slide which imo is a much bettert phone. The Galaxy does have the edge with the amazing screen, but it kills your battery stupid fast. The camera is equally amazing, IF you are someone that normally carries a point and shoot everywhere for quick picture taking. Well even if you are not you can still have a lot of fun with the camera.

Its a shame the thing feels so fragile and cheap, although a silicone case clears that up. but in the end its preference. Would you like an awesome camera and screen with the galaxy S or a better built phone in the LG. I would say get some hands on time with all 3

Upvote 0
Its a shame the thing feels so fragile and cheap, although a silicone case clears that up. but in the end its preference. Would you like an awesome camera and screen with the galaxy S or a better built phone in the LG. I would say get some hands on time with all 3

Agreed to both points. And yes the GS drains the battery fast!

Isnt there a price level issue as well? If price is no issue then of course you should go with the O2X or Galaxy S2! I am saying that galaxy s is good for what I paid for it at least (300 pounds without contract)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies!

Orre89:
Though I wonder why they didn't put a flash on it. Even my K810i have flash... Now I'm thinking like flash doesn't matter... but I probably would need it sometime and then I probably would regret it. But it seems to be a nice phone except that it feels a bit plastic and have no flash.

Well, there is a price level issue. I want a mobile that could last for a long time since I don't change phone so often. But LG O2X is the highest I can go. SGS2 is too expensive. I'm gonna buy a phone on halebop here in Sweden. It's weird, HTC Desire is more expensive then LG O2X there.

I was looking at the specs on these 3 phones. And I didn't really found anything that I don't like with the LG O2X.

So LG O2X is the best choice?

Upvote 0
I currently have a Droid X & I'm switching to the LG G2x (as it's called over here across the pond) because the specs blow me away. I don't feel like either of your other two choices are even close to the LG.

But, that's just me.
First it was between Samsung Galaxy S och HTC Desire S. But then I was thinking maybe I should get LG O2X.

I probably get the LG. But I'm not 100% sure about it yet.

Upvote 0
I read about some problems with LG O2X:

• Shuts down and reboots randomly.
  • Shows wrong battery percent.
  • WiFi doesn't work after turn it on from sleep.
  • Doesn't like heat. I read about 2 people who had their phone out in the sun when it was like 20-25 degrees and it started to reboot every 2 minute.
The 3 first problem can probably be solved with an future sw update from LG. But the last one... can't be solved with that.

So now I'm not sure at all, which phone I'm gonna choose. Please help me.

Too bad that SGS2 is too expensive for me :/

Edit:
I've also read that when you download something from android market, the phone gets very laggy.

Upvote 0
Is the Samsung galaxy S2 available in your area? Now that phone will be future-proof for like 2 years. Otherwise, I would go with the LG O2X I think. HTC is great, but terrible battery life.
Yes on May 12. But I can't afford it, unfortunately.

It seems that LG O2X, has a lot of problems. Hmm... I don't know if I should buy it..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones