• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone time?

T-Keith

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
Well it seems like forever, but I'm finally eligible for an upgrade. Seems like good timing because there are a few good phones coming to Verizon. Anyone else looking to upgrade? I sold the eris for an ebay incredible this summer, so I'm not too desperate. The incredible has been a good phone, and the eris was awesome except for the processor.

What do you guys think about the nexus, razr and rezound?

Well it seems like forever, but I'm finally eligible for an upgrade. Seems like good timing because there are a few good phones coming to Verizon. Anyone else looking to upgrade? I sold the eris for an ebay incredible this summer, so I'm not too desperate. The incredible has been a good phone, and the eris was awesome except for the processor.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus has me drooling a bit :p ;) :).

My gaze is fixed in that direction :).

Its going to be an awesome phone with ICS to boot.

Upvote 0

They should all be good phone, so it depends on what you want. The Nexus sounds way too big for me - it's 5.33" long. ICS looks like it has great features, though the other two phones will get it fairly soon.

The Razr is thin, but I think that the cut-off corners are unattractive and the unremovable battery would worry me for a device I have for 20 months. It's not as big as the Nexus, but it's still a lot of phone, particularly compared with the eris, but even with the Inc. One thing is that Moto is generally solid and reliable when it comes to connectivity, compared with HTC in particular.

I haven't really heard too much about the Rezound/Vigor, so we'll see what it looks like when they announce/release it.

Last thing: I had major issues with 4G/3G data on the Bionic, and it seems to be a common problem. I really wonder if it's better to let Verizon and the OEMs get 4G more mature before you go with it. I was dropping 3G signals where I knew they were good. Perhaps they have fixed this already with these three phones.

Anyway, of course you'll have to wait until they're released, but they all sound like a great choice. It's hard to see where you could go wrong with any of the three.

Upvote 0
I'm going Galaxy Nexus as soon as I can upgrade. The Razr looks cool on paper, but it has a slightly older processor that is overclocked and the non-removable battery has me worried as well. I haven't heard much on the Rezound either. Seems like there isn't as much interest that's been generated.

Plus, after seeing vanilla ICS on a phone, I don't know if I can go back. I might not even use a custom launcher anymore. I will probably still root it for backup purposes, and maybe cm9.

Upvote 0
All,

Lets take this thread a new direction. Everyone knows the latest greatest phone will rock your world, hence Nexus and Razr. I too am eligble for an upgrade, coming from the Eris (which has been a great phone, rooted, flashed, currently running CS CM7 v 17). I'm looking to upgrade for little money. To date: here are my options (all ebates.com/wirefly pricing)

1. Dinc2 - Free. Small footprint, super great development following. but only 3g.
  1. Droid x2. Free. 4.3 inch screen, dual core processor. but i dont like the buttons and its only 3g.
  1. LG Revolution. 29.99. 4g, 4.3 screen and 1ghz hummingbird processor. This phone does not have the following in the dev community and phone is a bit chunky.
  1. Droid charge. simply not a fan.
  1. HTC Thunderbolt. oddly still 119.00 on upgrade. 4.3 screen, 1ghz processor. Great dev following. But I've heard this phone has a had issues, especially on the GPS and battery life.
  1. Droid bionic - simply a great phone, but still 219.99 on up grade.
I'd love to have the bionic but I fear it will be 6 months before its in my price range. The pending release of teh Nexus and Razr should bring everything down in price. I'm thinking LG revoluion right now (even over the thunderbolt).

Discuss, decide, advise.

thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Not trying to tell you what you can afford, but trying to save money when buying a smartphone doesn't really make much sense. Over the two years with the Eris you've spent over $700 just for the data plan, more for the base phone package. Why skimp and get another phone that will be out of date when you buy it. If you're hard up for money downgrade your plan to a dumb phone and keep the Eris on wifi.

That said I totally understand trying to save a buck. I'm thinking Christmas time will bring a lot of deals. The original three 4G phones including the Revolution should be pretty cheap, even the Bionic has to come down in price soon.

Upvote 0
All,

Lets take this thread a new direction. Everyone knows the latest greatest phone will rock your world, hence Nexus and Razr. I too am eligble for an upgrade, coming from the Eris (which has been a great phone, rooted, flashed, currently running CS CM7 v 17). I'm looking to upgrade for little money. To date: here are my options (all ebates.com/wirefly pricing)

1. Dinc2 - Free. Small footprint, super great development following. but only 3g.
  1. Droid x2. Free. 4.3 inch screen, dual core processor. but i dont like the buttons and its only 3g.
  1. LG Revolution. 29.99. 4g, 4.3 screen and 1ghz hummingbird processor. This phone does not have the following in the dev community and phone is a bit chunky.
  1. Droid charge. simply not a fan.
  1. HTC Thunderbolt. oddly still 119.00 on upgrade. 4.3 screen, 1ghz processor. Great dev following. But I've heard this phone has a had issues, especially on the GPS and battery life.
  1. Droid bionic - simply a great phone, but still 219.99 on up grade.
I'd love to have the bionic but I fear it will be 6 months before its in my price range. The pending release of teh Nexus and Razr should bring everything down in price. I'm thinking LG revoluion right now (even over the thunderbolt).

Discuss, decide, advise.

thanks in advance.

Well. I was at one point planning on going with a Fascinate since they were free but found that the Dx2 is free, as well as the Revo and the Stratosphere.

I think I've decided on the Revo and my Wife is thinking about the Stratosphere. I'm thinking she might just have a poor-mans Galaxy Nexus pretty soon once someone ports ICS to it.

I've been doing a little reading on the Revo and it has been rooted, has CWM, and looks like might have CM support. So hopefully I'll get ICS on it.

I played with a Revo and DX2 side by side at the verizon store and the DX2 felt really laggy, though it could have been Blur. But the Revo's screen was really bright and very smooth.

As far as the Charge goes.. I just don't like the look...That's really all I have to say about it. I don't like the pointy bottom and adding the large physical buttons seems very samsung-unlike.

Some reason it reminds me of one of those Casio phones.

Upvote 0
FWIW we picked up a Stratosphere for my wife at Costco for $30 with accessories. She really wanted the hardware keyboard and liked the stratosphere better than the Droid 3. It is a really nice phone, the AMOLED screen is even a bit brighter and more vibrant than my Dinc. I am now waiting for the Nexus to come out before making a decision. The Razr was nicely constructed, but the size was a turnoff and the ports are at the top of the phone. Didn't get to see the Rezound yet either.

Upvote 0
FWIW we picked up a Stratosphere for my wife at Costco for $30 with accessories. She really wanted the hardware keyboard and liked the stratosphere better than the Droid 3. It is a really nice phone, the AMOLED screen is even a bit brighter and more vibrant than my Dinc. I am now waiting for the Nexus to come out before making a decision. The Razr was nicely constructed, but the size was a turnoff and the ports are at the top of the phone. Didn't get to see the Rezound yet either.

Do you have a Dinc with an AMOLED screen or SLCD?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones