• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New "Root" Method For Z981(Zmax Pro)

You need to restart phone hold volume up plus power till the screen goes black or shows the fml plug to PC reflash twrp when you reset huod volume down till you see twrp then flash and install rom
When I restart the device holding the volume down a black screen appears with a white frame inside in which we read FTM. No Idea what that means. I got stuck on metro pcs logo after sliding the swipe to install TWRP app. when the phone rebooted... frozen on the logo.

Attachments

• IMG_20190621_002852.jpg
    IMG_20190621_002852.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20190621_003451.jpg
    IMG_20190621_003451.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Upvote 0
<span style='font-size:18px';>Dear Android Forums, </span>

<span style='font-size:18px';>Me and my 'team' on our discord.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Have found a true free root method for your beloved </span><span style='font-size:18px';>ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981)</span><span style='font-size:18px';>.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>In our time of being secluded from forums, hiding our discoveries.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>We have gotten quite a lot done and have gotten hold of a working firehose.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Thanks to y'all who still believe root will come.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Today's that day.</span>

<span style='font-size:12px';>- Ext_0l1s</span>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!EVERYTHING WILL BE INCLUDED IN ATTACHED ZIP!!

Most Credited People:
Loonycgb2 - Amazing Advice and for helping fix bugs in our custom ROMs
Astr4y4L - Amazing Advice
messi2050 - Amazing Advice and for helping Armando and I, make custom ROMs for this device.
Armando - For Testing, Developing Custom ROM's and TWRP. Also for being totally cool.
Y314K - For hosting our Discord server and for being cool .
Testers - For helping Armando and I fix bugs in our custom ROMs.
Everyone at our Discord. - For being patient and awesome the whole way through
Android Forums - For allowing this to be posted

Upvote 0
<span style='font-size:18px';>Dear Android Forums, </span>

<span style='font-size:18px';>Me and my 'team' on our discord.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Have found a true free root method for your beloved </span><span style='font-size:18px';>ZTE Zmax Pro(Z981)</span><span style='font-size:18px';>.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>In our time of being secluded from forums, hiding our discoveries.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>We have gotten quite a lot done and have gotten hold of a working firehose.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Thanks to y'all who still believe root will come.</span>
<span style='font-size:18px';>Today's that day.</span>

<span style='font-size:12px';>- Ext_0l1s</span>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!EVERYTHING WILL BE INCLUDED IN ATTACHED ZIP!!

Most Credited People:
Loonycgb2 - Amazing Advice and for helping fix bugs in our custom ROMs
Astr4y4L - Amazing Advice
messi2050 - Amazing Advice and for helping Armando and I, make custom ROMs for this device.
Armando - For Testing, Developing Custom ROM's and TWRP. Also for being totally cool.
Y314K - For hosting our Discord server and for being cool .
Testers - For helping Armando and I fix bugs in our custom ROMs.
Everyone at our Discord. - For being patient and awesome the whole way through
Android Forums - For allowing this to be posted

Upvote 0
Yeah, It is awesome what a small group of folks with completely different skill sets can achieve as long as they don't give up. We still like to thank everybody that have participated on any testing, debugging, coding or sharing of ideas since this phone was released. This date truly is a Root/Modding Community WIN.

BTW, Armando, Extolis, Messi &amp; others have been hard at work on different (ASOP, RR, AEX) Nougat ROM's. They should be available as soon as they go stable. Big bugs are squash now. So mostly need to fix some codecs &amp; such. So keep tune for that announcement. Oreo is next too...

okay so I'm a noob when it comes to rooting.
after I do every step provided,
what do I do when I first load TWRP?
Keep Read Only
or
Swipe to Allow Modifications

Upvote 0
Yeah, It is awesome what a small group of folks with completely different skill sets can achieve as long as they don't give up. We still like to thank everybody that have participated on any testing, debugging, coding or sharing of ideas since this phone was released. This date truly is a Root/Modding Community WIN.

BTW, Armando, Extolis, Messi &amp; others have been hard at work on different (ASOP, RR, AEX) Nougat ROM's. They should be available as soon as they go stable. Big bugs are squash now. So mostly need to fix some codecs &amp; such. So keep tune for that announcement. Oreo is next too...

okay so I'm a noob when it comes to rooting.
after I do every step provided,
what do I do when I first load TWRP?
Keep Read Only
or
Swipe to Allow Modifications

Reactions: ldwwinters
Upvote 0
Root Cheat Sheet

1- Backup Phone.
DO NOT FACTORY RESET UNTIL STEP 6. IT IS NOT NEEDED BEFORE THEN.

2- OPTIONAL: Upgrade phone to last available Stock FW. (ZTE servers are back online)

3- Turn off Screen Locks. Turn on ADB & OEM Unlocking in Developers.

4- Get Root files.

5- Install TWRP.
(Always cancel when Prompted for a Password. Then Swipe To allow Modifications)

6- Factory RESET phone.

7- Reboot to TWRP (Hold Volume UP). Do a full TWRP backup.

8- Stay stock or go Discord.

9- Root with Magisk.

10- If you install Discord or any other ROM. U always install ROM, Gapps & always Magisk last. (DO NO UNZIP FILES. TWRP INSTALLS THEM FROM ZIP)

11- Terminal Mod must be done to fully root phone. (This is needed when ever u reRoot your phone)
- Reboot & Start setting you phone up by turning on Developer Mode & USB Debugging. And also opening he Magisk App so you can update it.
- Turn on Unknown Sources for apps. Now install a Terminal APK so you can unlock /System fully.
- Open the Terminal App and type "su" then enter & allow SU when Magisk askes if you wish to give it Root privileges.
- Once in # input the following command "reboot disemmcwp". Your phone will reboot. Now you should have full control of /System.

12- Congrats.

Guess I might continue to make my detailed instructions for now.

I followed this method and successfully installed TWRP. When I reached step 6, I pressed "factory reset" on the TWRP interface, as per the instructions, and now my phone is stuck on the "MetroPCS" screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Upvote 0
I followed this method and successfully installed TWRP. When I reached step 6, I pressed "factory reset" on the TWRP interface, as per the instructions, and now my phone is stuck on the "MetroPCS" screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

After step 6 you need to go right back into twrp without rebooting to android and flash magisk. Then proceed with the rest of instructions.

Go back into twrp using the button combo and continue with the instructions.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
After step 6 you need to go right back into twrp without rebooting to android and flash magisk. Then proceed with the rest of instructions.

Do you have Discord so I can message you about this? I am sort of confused on how to continue because I don't have access to the OS anymore, so how will I root with the Magisk zip if I can't open the OS to install it?

Upvote 0

I was able to get a Magisk zip and installed it. Now I cannot get into the OS at all and do not see a loading screen. I am stuck at the TWRP screen. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0

I don't want to meddle with this anymore, I don't feel like I can do it and need my phone functions restored. Is there anyway I can go back to stock?

Upvote 0
yeah looking at the steps i would have made a nandroid backup first before factory resetting the device. not sure why it is listed aftwards. you can just either pick a custom rom like discord or flash the firmware for your phone. i do not have your phone, but there should be a place where you can get the latest firmware to flash.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
yeah looking at the steps i would have made a nandroid backup first before factory resetting the device. not sure why it is listed aftwards. you can just either pick a custom rom like discord or flash the firmware for your phone. i do not have your phone, but there should be a place where you can get the latest firmware to flash.

How can it be done? Is the ROM on this link acceptable? https://androidforums.com/threads/rom-stock-rom-b21-for-zte-zmax-pro-z981.1293401/

Do I need any additional programs? I am very confused regarding what needs to be done because this is my first failed attempt at rooting a phone. Do I just drag the ROM zip file into the internal storage and install it through TWRP, then reboot the phone?

Upvote 0
I'll be straight here. It's been quite a while since I mess with this phone. I moved on some time ago. When I rooted it, I followed those directions and it worked out.

What folks have been doing that end up in your situation is flash the Lineage rom to get their phone working again.

If I remember correctly:
  1. Go into twrp and factory reset.
  2. Flash Lineage rom.
  3. Flash gapps.
  4. Flash magisk.
  5. Finally reboot.
  6. Wait for the 5 minute long first initial boot. That's it.
https://androidforums.com/threads/rom-unofficial-lineage-os-14-1-for-zte-zmax-pro.1285631/

Upvote 0
I'll be straight here. It's been quite a while since I mess with this phone. I moved on some time ago. When I rooted it, I followed those directions and it worked out.

What folks have been doing that end up in your situation is flash the Lineage rom to get their phone working again.

If I remember correctly:
  2. Flash Lineage rom.
  3. Flash gapps.
  4. Flash magisk.
  5. Finally reboot.
https://androidforums.com/threads/rom-unofficial-lineage-os-14-1-for-zte-zmax-pro.1285631/

What is GAPPS? Can you attach download links for GAPPS and Magisk?

Upvote 0
Crap, I installed Lineage with success while skipping google apps. Can I go back and add it in without causing harm?

A bit late, but have a look...

These are the gapps that work best for this rom.
https://opengapps.org/
Make sure to install the arm64 - 7.1 - nano or micro

I get magisk directly from the developer here.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Here are the flashing instructions I gave to someone that worked for them.
https://androidforums.com/threads/new-root-method-for-z981-zmax-pro.1284305/page-4#post-7831446

Here's the camera fix I posted for Lineage rom.
https://androidforums.com/threads/r...-for-zte-zmax-pro.1285631/page-3#post-7866104

Yes you can go back and install gapps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A bit late, but have a look...

These are the gapps that work best for this rom.
https://opengapps.org/
Make sure to install the arm64 - 7.1 - nano or micro

I get magisk directly from the developer here.
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

Here are the flashing instructions I gave to someone that worked for them.
https://androidforums.com/threads/new-root-method-for-z981-zmax-pro.1284305/page-4#post-7831446

Yes you can go back and install gapps.

I'm going to go back and fresh install everything because I need to install gapps. (sigh). I actually prefer lineage over stock because it comes without all the bulky applications using up all the memory in my phone. Is there any way to change the way the navigation buttons are set in the settings in Lineage? I want the right button to be for "going back" and the left button for "displaying applications".

Upvote 0
I'm going to go back and fresh install everything because I need to install gapps. (sigh). I actually prefer lineage over stock because it comes without all the bulky applications using up all the memory in my phone. Is there any way to change the way the navigation buttons are set in the settings in Lineage? I want the right button to be for "going back" and the left button for "displaying applications".

I don't remember, but because Lineage is very stock android, I don't think you can change the buttons around. Check in the settings.

Also I edited my previous post to include the camera fix I posted.

Upvote 0
I don't remember, but because Lineage is very stock android, I don't think you can change the buttons around. Check in the settings.

Also I edited my previous post to include the camera fix I posted.

Is it possible to install the pico version? I don't want to preload my device with applications that I can install from the playstore if the need arises.

Upvote 0
So, do I just go back and flash gapps without factory resetting anything? Or do I have to re-flash lineage and magisk?
here is the order:
If I remember correctly:
  2. Flash Lineage rom.
  3. Flash gapps.
  4. Flash magisk.
  5. Finally reboot.

if you reboot after flashing lineage, i would try and start over....using the steps above.

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones