• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Root Method

DevoutDev

Android Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2014
California
This is the new root method, will work for all LG - L90 devices as of January 2015.

Ensure that you have enable 'usb debug' in developer settings.

1. DOWNLOAD:
This file here to your computer DOWNLOAD.

2. Unzip the file.

3. Plug in your phone. And install and necessary drivers.

4. Open the file.

5. If on Windows run the .bat, if on Linux run the .sh, if on Mac run the .command.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions. To root your device.

You're now ready for installing custom ROM's!!!

Last edited:
This is the new root method, will work for all LG - L90 devices as of January 2015.

Ensure that you have enable 'usb debug' in developer settings.

1. DOWNLOAD:
This file here to your computer DOWNLOAD.

2. Unzip the file.

3. Plug in your phone. And install and necessary drivers.

4. Open the file.

5. If on Windows run the .bat, if on Linux run the .sh, if on Mac run the .command.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions. To root your device.

You're now ready for installing custom ROM's!!!
There is a error for me after the reboot having not compatible software or something?

Upvote 0
When I run PurpleDrake, it gets stuck on "Waiting for device" on the first time I press enter. I can confirm USB debugging is on, and my device manager shows the L90 drivers. Any assistance? Using the T-Mobile D415 version. I've restarted the program 5x already and still stuck on the same part. Using MTP as the USB mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I run PurpleDrake, it gets stuck on "Waiting for device" on the first time I press enter. I can confirm USB debugging is on, and my device manager shows the L90 drivers. Any assistance? Using the T-Mobile D415 version. I've restarted the program 5x already and still stuck on the same part. Using MTP as the USB mode.
And you're sure that you have ADB drivers installed? I'd nor there is a specific one to install for the ADB itself

Upvote 0
Thanks, it was the ADB drivers. I got the drivers from the LG website, and everything worked perfectly from there.

So I got the phone to detect, however Purple Drake is giving me the following message:

"Your phone is not running a compatible software version. No vulnerable mode detected, rebooting phone. We tried to temproot you and it didn't work. This phone isnt vulnerable, it would appear. Please post on XDA with your phone model, carrier, and SW version in the PurpleDrake thread and someone will take a look."

I am running:
T-Mobile LG L90
Software: D41510e

I'll post on XDA and try to update this post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't find "Developer Options" on my D415 ... the owner's manual doesn't even have the words developer, debug or debugging in it .... o_O
Settings > About Phone.

Tap on the "Build Number" entry a bunch of times (I think the magic number is seven). That *should* get the Developer Options to appear.

Disclaimer: that works on *most* devices. I can't verify that it works on the L90 because I don't have one. :D

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you for that secret code, it worked. As my wife would say, "trippin-dicular."

I'm gonna wait to try rooting again though, at least until DevoutDev's new guide is posted, hopefully tonight.

Guys, are all these things - secret codes for debugging, locked-up bootloaders, firmware revisions that block rooting - are all these things indicators that manufacturers and carriers are intent on "taking back control" of their devices? Kinda seems like it to me.

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you for that secret code, it worked. As my wife would say, "trippin-dicular."

I'm gonna wait to try rooting again though, at least until DevoutDev's new guide is posted, hopefully tonight.

Guys, are all these things - secret codes for debugging, locked-up bootloaders, firmware revisions that block rooting - are all these things indicators that manufacturers and carriers are intent on "taking back control" of their devices? Kinda seems like it to me.

That "secret code" was actually added by Google with I think Android 4.4. I think too many users inadvertently stumbled into the Developer Settings area and started mashing buttons without knowing what was going on. Google wanted a way to make the options still there for folks who knew what they were doing without distracting Average Joe's. I think it's a pretty good compromise.

Locked bootloaders and anti-rooting firmware... it's honestly all about security, particularly for those Average Joe's that don't have any business poking around under the hood. If a user can't gain system-level access, malicious apps won't be able to either (or so goes the theory).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones