• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New? START HERE BEFORE ASKING!!!! (The mostly noob proof guide....) UPDATED

- "Root Folder" simply means not in a subfolder. It should be in F:\flash_image and not F:\Folder\flash_image

- Custom Recovery: Did you remember to extract the files from the link to 'Custom Recovery for 2.2.1 stock phones by joneidy.zip' provided by Joneidy? The two files on your SD Card should be 'flash_image' (no extension) and 'recovery-2.2.1-joneidy.img'. If you didn't extract them, that's why you can't find them ;).

- The "Must Be On Device" note is really relative to people who've rooted and are using 3rd party apps to force things to install on the SD card. If you're not using one, you have nothing to worry about. Although there is a "Move to SD Card" option in 2.2.x, it's usually not enabled or done by default with rooting apps.

- You won't really be moving things to the phone often in terms of rooting. Their .apk files can be run from the SD card if it's something you must install.

Reactions: sandpipershore
Upvote 0
OK everybody else seems to know that, but that's my first android device which I have for only couple of weeks, so... how do you guys do print screen? Is there any special app or function?
Thank you!
There are several popular screen capture apps and all of them require a rooted phone. I use drocap2. There is also a way to do it via PC, but I don't know how that process works.

Reactions: lyubimov
Upvote 0
how can I go about removing SUPERUSER.apk from my optimus that I used GINGERBREAK on?? any help would be appreciated!
If it's on your sdcard, you can remove that.
If you're referring to the instance that is located in system/apps
you should not remove that.
It's there to warn you about applications that want root access, now that the phone is rooted, you need that protection.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I have had my Optimus m 2.2.1 long enough and now that the price has come down for it I want to root it, my question is this... is it possible to "brick" the phone so bad that there is absolutely no fix to bring it back while attempting to root?
Not anymore. Rooting 2.2.1 is 1-click now with Gingerbreak. It's just like z4root for 2.2, except you have to install SuperUser on your own from the Market.

Upvote 0
Not anymore. Rooting 2.2.1 is 1-click now with Gingerbreak. It's just like z4root for 2.2, except you have to install SuperUser on your own from the Market.

I cant believe how simple the rooting process was and i was able to follow the tutorial so far without a hitch, im now at the custom rom part and totally have no idea what to put on my 2.2.1 rooted optimus m

Upvote 0
I cant believe how simple the rooting process was and i was able to follow the tutorial so far without a hitch, im now at the custom rom part and totally have no idea what to put on my 2.2.1 rooted optimus m
If you want stability, a good looking interface, along with a few bells and whistles, then by all means, this is your ROM.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/323247-rom-theme-sense-rom-optimus-m.html
It NOW comes with an overclocked kernel so you won't have to install that separately.
But you might want to read this thread to get up to speed on the kernel and it's capabilities.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/347684-kernel-optimusm-oc-stock-2-2-1-a.html
Just read the entire history of the ROM and the kernel before diving in.

If you choose to go with Sense ROM, it'll be painless, as long as you've educated yourself. ;)

Reactions: det1726
Upvote 0
OMG, this guide is the greatest! I am new to the forums and wanted to flash my Optimus M to Gingerbread. Low and behold I find myself here with everything VERY clearly spelled out. THANKS YOU GUYS! I folloed the instructions and my phone is flashed to the CM7 rom and everything is working great.

One thing I did want to mention is that a friend of mine wanted me to do the same to his rooted 2.2.1 Optimus M. Well, things did not go as smoothly as on my phone. I used ADB shell to flash the recovery to his phone and when booted up the screen stayed black. It did appear that his phone was booted into recovery as pushing menu rebooted the phone and pressing Vol- eight times then menu powered his phone off, But no video on the screen. I tried re-flashing the recovery multiple times with the same results. I was starting to wonder what was going wrong. Then I came across another custom recovey here:

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html

It worked perfect. I dont know why the recovery posted in this thread would not work on his phone but the one in the link I provided did the trick. I hope this helps someone.

Thanks again guys!!

Upvote 0
I wish I've read that a weak ago. Would make my life much easier.
well some of it isnt quite true any more ;)

ROM Manager and CWM both can be used on this phone. Installation of CWM is a lil tricky still atm, but can be done and works great. koush (clockworkmod) will soon be adding the official CWM recovery to RM and then installation will be a breeze.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can you explain where to get android developers bridge and how do I configure it for LG Optimus M? I've looked it up on Google but I don't really understand how to configure it.

I've been planing to install these two
http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/405821-rom-cyanogenmod-7-lg-optimus-m-ms690.html

but both require android developers bridge. I'm scared I'll do something wrong and brick my phone.
wont need adb to install the ROM, it can be done with the recovery. A easy way to install CWM, and I would guess it would work with GNM, is Flash Image GUI from the market.

But to answer your question ADB comes with android-tools which you install with the java sdk and jdk. You could grab it from a fastboot install method for recovery zip. Far as setting it up, thats mainly having the drivers for your phone installed correctly on your computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones