New to android and wanted to know...

Last Updated:

1. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

if you have an old version of android on your phone (eg 1.6 or something) is it possible to get an upgrade to 2.0? Do certain carriers support this? and if they do/don't are there work around to do it yourself?

Advertisement
  2. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

in theory, yes, but 1.6 isn't exactly old and i don't think 2.0 is available for anything yet (hero?)

some carriers will automagically send updates over the air once they are available
    if not, you can always root the phone and do whatever you want with it

but just because google released the 2.0 sdk, doesn't mean a 2.0 build of android is instantly available for any phone, it'll take a moment for the manufacturers to mess about
    time depends on the manufacturer, for htc it's a couple of weeks, for samsung, half a bloody year

3. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi Brettlewis and Welcome to AF! :D

If you have an Android phone it will almost certainly get updated sooner or later to Android 2.0. Every phone will get it with the Possible Exemption of the G1 / HTC Dream due to Memory issues {can be fixed thanks to Cyanogen}. And 1.6 {Donut} is not that old at all ;)

So Sit Back ........Relax........and I'm sure you'll have 2.0 hopefully soon when the Carriers & Google decide to roll it out :)

4. brettlewis

I dont have 1.6, I was just using random numbers. ha. I just wanted to know if they update the software. I don't have and android phone (yet). I plan on getting the droid on Friday when it comes out since I am Verizon. Unless you think that HTC phone that is coming out on Verizon is better?

5. memphius

memphius Member

Which HTC branded phone are you talking about? My personal opinion. Is that Motorola should've died 5 years ago. Nice tried with 'the droid' but Htc owns :)

Oh and by the way, pick carefully. Droid should be rolling out stores with 2.0 while for example the update for Htc hero will arrive in january i guess..

6. brettlewis

I dont know what its called. The only HTC droid phone coming out on verizon? Whatever that phone is.

7. batkilgra

batkilgra New Member

plan on getting the droid on Friday when it comes out since I am Verizon

8. aspartam

aspartam New Member

hi. i'm too new at android smartphones. i bought a htc magic today. i'm from serbia and interests me if is it possible to upgrade rom and to lock the phone or i really don't know how to ask... is it possible to my network operators sim card won't be recognized? so i mean if it is previously a sim locked phone it could be locked after a rom upgrade or after change to htc heroes rom?

thx for answers and sorry for my bad english.

9. aspartam

aspartam New Member

no answer... :D