• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to rooting - best/safest method for my phone?

Hi people, new to AF, happy to be here.

I signed up so I could find out what the best/safest method is for rooting my SGS with my specific software version. By best, I mean most efficient, and by safest, I mean a method which retains all my data.

There are so many methods that I really don't know which one to choose. If you wish to simply link me to an existing thread, that's fine.

Attached is a screenshot of my phone's software specs.

Regards,

Nick

P.S When people talk about different methods for XXJVQ, XWJVP etc. are they referring to the Baseband version, or Kernel version/Build number, cause on my phone they're both different?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 93
Hi people, new to AF, happy to be here.

I signed up so I could find out what the best/safest method is for rooting my SGS with my specific software version. By best, I mean most efficient, and by safest, I mean a method which retains all my data.

There are so many methods that I really don't know which one to choose. If you wish to simply link me to an existing thread, that's fine.

Attached is a screenshot of my phone's software specs.

Regards,

Nick

P.S When people talk about different methods for XXJVQ, XWJVP etc. are they referring to the Baseband version, or Kernel version/Build number, cause on my phone they're both different?

They are talking about the Build Number and in your case its JVP. Baseband is your modem which basically is your service,battery life.
Rooting: [06.10.2011][CF-Root 4.3] JP*,JS*,JQ3,JV1/K/B/H/I/O/P/Q/R/S/T - su+bb+2e/CWM-rfs+ext4 - xda-developers

Hit the thanks button if i helped: )

Reactions: droidoidoid
Upvote 0
In response to my question...

"When people talk about different methods for XXJVQ, XWJVP etc. are they referring to the Baseband version, or Kernel version/Build number, cause on my phone they're both different?"

a guy on another forum said...

"They are refering to baseband. Kernel changes with the different roms."

This conflicts with what you said about it. Can you clarify this for me?

Cheers :D

P.S Where's your thanks button? :thinking:

Upvote 0
The baseband can be changed at any time easily, I have changed mine like ten times trying to find the best one. I have no way of confirming that its by the build number, but when i rooted my phone,flashed a theme or anything of that nature i used the build number and never had a problem.

"thanks" is in the bottom right hand of my post i believe: )

Reactions: droidoidoid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones