• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to X10 - Few Questions

Zethlin

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
Hey guys. After a long time of wanting an Xperia x10 I finally got one on Saturday. Before that I had a Blackberry Curve, so things are quite different from what I've seen so far.

I have a few questions after fiddling around for a while;

1) Is there a way to set an .mp3 song as my SMS tone?

2) My phone came with some Moxier software; is there a way to delete these? I won't be using them as they don't appeal to me.

3) I'm using the built-in Facebook app, and I'm not recieving any alerts for notifications...do I need to do something for this to work?

4) Speech Synthesis - What is this and how do I use it? (I installed some voice software like it asked, but I don't see how this software is used)

5) I downloaded a task killer which was recommended; do they work? My battery drops so fast, is there other methods around this?

6) Finally, any useful apps you'd recommend to get the most out of my Xperia X10? I've seen various new keyboard apps which have tempted me as I have a little trouble with the stock one, for example.

Thank you for your time. It's much appreciated. :)

1) Yes, using any method you want (USB, Bluetooth, an SD card reader) go to your SD Card, then Media, then Audio, then you should have a folder called "notifications". In the "audio" folder, create a new one and name it "ringtones". Put the mp3 in that folder, it should be available next time you select a ringtone. You can also have a folder called "alarms".

2) You can if you root your phone, then use an application called Titanium Backup (as one of multiple options actually). Lots of threads about this so I suggest you read a lot about it so that you know what you're doing and you're going to learn about Android as well!

3) Facebook for Android, whether it's the one that came with your phone, or the update from the market, is really shitty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can always access touch.facebook.com from the browser.

4) Sorry, I don't know!

5) Task killers work, but some people argue they're good, others say they're bad, others will say it won't change a thing. After a few charging cycles you should notice a great improvement on your battery's life though. Now I get around 70-80% left when I get back from work, of course, if you're watching videos on the wifi connection it will drain faster. Lots of threads about battery life, I suggest you go through them and decide what options are good for you.

6) Definitely try the HTC keyboard! [MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Have fun with your new device!

Upvote 0
these answers might help.
1 i use the app tone picker - allows you to use mp3 for text alert

2 sorry dont know this one dont use it so just left it

3 i have same prob, but if you use the browser then you get the full site

4 again dont know, i have been trying to get this to work as well

5 i dld a task killer app but didnt see any particular benefit so i just got rid of it, got juice defender after that but again didnt use it

6 i resisted changing keyboards for a while then got the htc one. wouldnt change from that one now, lot better than standard keyboard. any cut allows you to set music playlists. cant say im a big fan of rockplayer. i have beautiful widgets too but no space for them just now lol. i have the usual crap apps and when i get fed up with them i just get rid of them

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones