• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Update Soak Test

..doing the survey there's an option that states that if you are rooted you agree to reset your phone back to stock.

Will wonders never cease. ;)

For a while there it appeared that they would rather just break our devices than warn us like that, let alone include known rooted users in a soak test.

I unrooted a while back when I found no speed/performance advantage. Thinking of rerooting though as I do get weary of knowing so much junk is in there. Plus I miss the Great ROM Adventures of my past Fascinate and Eris days. :D

Upvote 0
Gypped again by Motorola and Verizon. This phone is crap when in stock mode and runs SO much better under Eclipse and CM7. I can't wait when my upgrade becomes active because I'm so moving towards a Nexus or HTC Rezound. Unlocked bootloaders and ICS for both. Rezound doesn't have ICS yet, but it has been confirmed to get it.

Upvote 0
My DX2 is rooted. No custom ROMS or any other modifications have been done since the root other than removing the bloatware by removing the package files and backing them up on the SD card.

If I put the bloatware back, can I run the update when it becomes available or do I have to unroot before running the update?

Upvote 0
We won't know for sure untill Moto actually starts pushing it out. When they do it will be gradual but I expect that blogs will announce it and individuals will post here and on other sites. Coming from personal experience, I had the leaked 2.3.4, SBF'ed back to 2.3.3 and let the phone pick up the 2.3.4 update on its own and it worked so I'm guessing it will work the same way with whatever update comes next.

Upvote 0
My DX2 is rooted. No custom ROMS or any other modifications have been done since the root other than removing the bloatware by removing the package files and backing them up on the SD card.

If I put the bloatware back, can I run the update when it becomes available or do I have to unroot before running the update?

You do NOT need to unroot before updating (though it does not hurt to do so). The 2.3.5 update will happily do that for you. If you want to keep root, install Voodoo OTA rootkeeper before doing the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones