• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New XTRSense question..

The problem is that when I'm on a phone call, the proximity sensor is supposed to shut off the screen so I don't "cheek dial" while talking, but it doesn't. I have cleaned the screen and it doesn't help. I"m not running XTR ROM I'm running XTRSense with LauncherPRO. My husband (Nick021) is running the same thing, with the same phone (Droid Eris Rooted) and his proximity sensor works. Can anyone help? Or is it a problem with my phone specifically?

Upvote 0
Even with screen protectors and stuff, that should work.

Try this

1) make a nand backup of your phone, in Recovery.

2) use the RUU to re-flash your phone to 100% stock.

3) *228 to activate because it will probably make you again

4) make a phone call and see if the problem exists.

If it exists, then take your phone to Verizon, and show them how it doesn't work.

It's okay if the phone takes a volume button push to come back ON. But it should be shutting OFF when you put your face up to it, on a phone call. If it's not doing this, take it to Verizon.

If the problem ISN'T there, then re-root your phone, get your Amon-RA recovery back on there, and restore your nand backup.

Then, I suggest, re-flashing xtrSense/xtrROM.

Those ROMs didn't touch ANYTHING in how the phone talks to those sensors, and has fully 100% stock functionality in that area. Should work.

A wipe/wipe, and reflash is the best, if the RUU worked.

Reactions: LadyBug_LaBate
Upvote 0
Even with screen protectors and stuff, that should work.

Try this

1) make a nand backup of your phone, in Recovery.

2) use the RUU to re-flash your phone to 100% stock.

3) *228 to activate because it will probably make you again

4) make a phone call and see if the problem exists.

If it exists, then take your phone to Verizon, and show them how it doesn't work.

It's okay if the phone takes a volume button push to come back ON. But it should be shutting OFF when you put your face up to it, on a phone call. If it's not doing this, take it to Verizon.

If the problem ISN'T there, then re-root your phone, get your Amon-RA recovery back on there, and restore your nand backup.

Then, I suggest, re-flashing xtrSense/xtrROM.

Those ROMs didn't touch ANYTHING in how the phone talks to those sensors, and has fully 100% stock functionality in that area. Should work.

A wipe/wipe, and reflash is the best, if the RUU worked.

+1. This is a perfect way to detect whether the problem truly lies with your phone's proximity sensor or whether it's an issue with your specific flash of xtrSENSE. The only thing I'd like to add is to make sure you compare the MD5 checksums to those posted in zach.xtr's original post for the xtrSENSE version you are flashing. These checksums ensure that there is nothing corrupt or messed up with your .zip file before you flash.

Upvote 0
Will Verizon help me, even though my phone is rooted? Does that void the insurance/warrantee? Should I un-root it before I bring it in, in the case that the proximity sensor doesn't work after I do what is instructed above? (I would do it now, but my husband is much smarter than me when it comes to this, so I'll just have him do it later so I don't screw anything up lol)

Upvote 0
Will Verizon help me, even though my phone is rooted? Does that void the insurance/warrantee? Should I un-root it before I bring it in, in the case that the proximity sensor doesn't work after I do what is instructed above? (I would do it now, but my husband is much smarter than me when it comes to this, so I'll just have him do it later so I don't screw anything up lol)

Just to play it safe I would unroot the phone before you take it in. If they want to keep the phone and give you a refurb, you can do it on the spot instead of I will be back later. Just a thought though.:D

Reactions: LadyBug_LaBate
Upvote 0
I just remembered my phone is "Water damaged" and by the quotations I mean the water never actually got in the phone, but there was a small amount of condensation on the inside of the back cover, just enough to turn the water damage sticker slightly red. Which likely means the warrantee/insurance is voided anyway. Bummer.

No, it'll be fine.

That sticker turns red just sitting in your pocket, from the moisture from your skin.

They know this. They'll look for other signs of 'real' water damage, like corrosion etc. Your warranty's not void. Just take it in to the store after flashing the RUU. Tell them you tried restarting and everything, and even doing a FULL wipe (as they will see, since you just RUU'd your phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones